Spaceships in the skybox

dargan012dargan012 Hungary Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214957Members
It would be cool if you could see big spaceships in the sky going through space with hyper jump drives because you know humans are colonising space etc. and it would a cool little easter egg.

Well i think thats only it. :smile:

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    Hyperspace travel 101 basics tells you, you don't exit hyperspace close enough to a planet where you'd be able to see the ships, which would be well within the atmosphere :D Might as well slam right into them. Besides the gravity well a planet creates will be more than enough to destabilize the hyperspace rift, if you're close enough.

On a more serious note, even if you'd exit near a planet, those ships would have to be insanely large to be able to see them at all. For the usual spaceship size we tend to imagine, they'd looks like small glittering stars. Also wouldn't they detect the Aurora and in a worse case scenario, come under fire from the same thing that hit our ship?
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    nope that simply makes no sens there is no way you could see anything moving at FTL. it would also have to be very close by to be seen or have the size of the death star.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    Someone has been watching too many J.J. Abrams movies.
    As demonstrated in both Star Trek and Star Wars movies, J.J. does NOT seem to understand concepts of distance. He's shooting for the cool visual, he's not trying to make things logical or even make sense.
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/74376
    Scroll down to the section labeled "Seeing Things". Read the whole article tho', it's good.

• dargan012dargan012 Hungary Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214957Members
    Well its a game so a lot of things dont make sense but well it would be a cool visual effect.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Hyperspace travel 101 basics tells you, you don't exit hyperspace close enough to a planet where you'd be able to see the ships, which would be well within the atmosphere :D Might as well slam right into them. Besides the gravity well a planet creates will be more than enough to destabilize the hyperspace rift, if you're close enough.

Because Kouji has so much Space Travel experience that hes now a pro in the domain!! :smiley: /snickers (love ya brah :) )
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Rainstorm wrote: »

Because Kouji has so much Space Travel experience that hes now a pro in the domain!! :smiley: /snickers (love ya brah :) )

What are you on about man, I was building space ships when I was a wee lad. I still remember my first ship, the Cardboxius Maximus, it could stay in hyperspace for at least my entire attention span. Back than we still had to compensate for hull integrity issues using duct tape and paper glue sticks... Ah the good ol' days of space travel :D
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    bwahaha! duct tape, humanity's most useful invention .... followed by the wheel as a close 2nd!
    bwahaha! duct tape, humanity's most useful invention .... followed by the wheel as a close 2nd!

Don't forget WD40 :D
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members

What are you on about man, I was building space ships when I was a wee lad. I still remember my first ship, the Cardboxius Maximus, it could stay in hyperspace for at least my entire attention span. Back than we still had to compensate for hull integrity issues using duct tape and paper glue sticks... Ah the good ol' days of space travel :D

And you completely forgot that vapor err warp trails that lead to the discovery of earth by the evil mind eater race, who ate your attention span before it was above zero and all of earth's good old space travel tech. We had lots of duct tapes and glue sticks to fix the brain memory leaks, but somehow the case was lost.

Now those evils have painted our sky black with some stars to hide the real space view. But I know the sky was full of warp ripples from our mighty ships. My memory has not been eaten. And when I get out of this asylum I'll prove it.
    zetachron wrote: »

And you completely forgot that vapor err warp trails that lead to the discovery of earth by the evil mind eater race, who ate your attention span before it was above zero and all of earth's good old space travel tech. We had lots of duct tapes and glue sticks to fix the brain memory leaks, but somehow the case was lost.

Now those evils have painted our sky black with some stars to hide the real space view. But I know the sky was full of warp ripples from our mighty ships. My memory has not been eaten. And when I get out of this asylum I'll prove it.

Finally someone gets me! Fight the power brotha!
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    :o ..... wow .... i know... i know - its all true!! take me with you into space travel!!! :smiley:

is anybody remember from WHAT this chat was started ??? as for me - i'm already forget... :D
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members

On a more serious note, even if you'd exit near a planet, those ships would have to be insanely large to be able to see them at all. For the usual spaceship size we tend to imagine, they'd looks like small glittering stars. Also wouldn't they detect the Aurora and in a worse case scenario, come under fire from the same thing that hit our ship?

Quite right, as the spacecraft enters your field of view it'd be well within the atmosphere, anything that was that far into the atmosphere would either rip itself apart with it's own mass; or destabilise the craft and sending it crashing into the ocean, maybe the reason the Aurora crashed is that someone misjudged hyperspace exit and left to far into the atmosphere.
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    maybe the reason the Aurora crashed is that someone misjudged hyperspace exit and left to far into the atmosphere.

Or just all crew was on party and completely drunk. Only one was so lucky to tumble down to escape pod and fall asleep :smiley:
    Maybe, but why would a biology expedition have become a booze cruise?

It would explain why the rum is gone...
  • Dex_LutherDex_Luther Montreal, Qc Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214839Members
    Space ships could be in orbit, or you'd be able to see flashes of light as they jumped. We've seen stars light years away go nova with the naked eye at various times throughout history. The people at the time had no idea what it was though.

This all brings up one question though:

If spaceships are close enough for you to see them from the planet, then why are you still stranded?
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited March 2016
    Dex_Luther wrote: »
    Space ships could be in orbit, or you'd be able to see flashes of light as they jumped. We've seen stars light years away go nova with the naked eye at various times throughout history. The people at the time had no idea what it was though.

If spaceships are close enough for you to see them from the planet, then why are you still stranded?

Even if you could see the ships and not their warp trails or some mysterious warp effect, there is still a major problem. According to a relative ... err ... theory from a guy named after stoned, you look into the past of events if they are too far away. So when you see the ship and light your interstellar flare, the ship already is gone. If you light your flare before the ship should arrive and it never arrives (because you never attended your precognition lessons), you wasted your flare for nothing.

Of course you still have your good old radio, quantum connected to Alterra Head Administration, where they can receive your distress signal (aha, a message) through eternal distance and mighty ion storms. But aha, they need time.

Unfortunately your normal radio signals send to space never gets heard, because the famous imprisoned Sea Emperor (King of the Rocking Deep or was it Deep Rocks) is just singing on all frequencies of Subnautica to their kin for a few centuries (it takes so long for Sea Empresses to get into mating mood). With this interference your weak standart rescue signal never has a chance. Maybe that's why you should free him from his prison.
  • Dex_LutherDex_Luther Montreal, Qc Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214839Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    Dex_Luther wrote: »

Even if you could see the ships and not their warp trails or some mysterious warp effect, there is still a major problem. According to a relative ... err ... theory from a guy named after stoned, you look into the past of events if they are too far away.

Why would they be too far away? It's possible to see the ISS in space from the ground with nothing more than a pair of good binoculars. Judging by the wreck of the Aurora, mosts the ships in the Subnautica universe are probably much larger than the ISS.

The suggestion the OP made was to put ships in the skybox. If they are in the skybox, logic would assume they would be in orbit. Unless they were astronomically huge. Having ships in the skybox and not being rescued would make no sense. The exception being if those ships belong to some enemy race, who are at least partially to blame for the Aurora crashing in the first place. Maybe they're creating a blockade.
    edited April 2016
    About that ship-trails and spaceship' traffic density which can be visible on night sky... don't forget that THIS planet (where Aurora crashed) is not 'space crossroad'. Its just one little dot on black sky which can be SO far from Earth and from ANY humans worlds that we just CAN'T see all those 'christmass illumination&fireworks' which can happen on visible from here stars because light from those satrs dont reach us yet.

It would explain why the rum is gone...

:D
  • MerandixMerandix Netherlands Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210951Members
    Our coms array is firing distress calls in every direction, and we won't get saved within a few hours if we're below a busy space shipping route? People sure have gotten rude in the coming few centuries.

No, the planet we're on is DEFINITELY way off the beaten tracks. Possibly the Aurora is one of the first ships to be near it. Being below a busy shipping route would be an immersion breaker.