Translation site back online! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited April 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imageTranslation site back online! - Natural Selection 2

Our aim is to make games for the world, and to bring people together. To do this, we need to make games that are played by the world, and understood...

Read the full story here

Comments

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I can't stop laughing at that image. Nice job @rantology !
  • TibbsTibbs Join Date: 2013-02-10 Member: 182965Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Slight problem, how do you figure out the username that you've used on the translation site?

I cannot register an account since my e-mail is already in use and when I reset my account password the e-mail that I get sent does not contain my username.

I've tried all of my usual usernames.

Halp.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I've always wanted to play the game in Kharaa...
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I would seriously dedicate some time to pig Latin as that and English are the only languages I'm fluent in.
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester

I'm just a translation admin for german language. I've ask @GhoulofGSG9 about the sound topic but he said he does not know. And I don't know if he asked the concerning devs.
  • navazkanavazka Join Date: 2015-12-08 Member: 209825Members
    edited April 2016
    If it is technically simple to do so, I recommend you to show people the list of current translations, the guidelines and everything else in read-only mode before requesting them to create an account. Only require logging in for submitting/voting for translations. This way you might get more translators. Psychologically you first need to show people something to get them excited; showing just a black screen with registration dialog puts many off. Speaking for myself, I just wanted to see if my language is already included and how much it is translated - and I needed to register just to see that.

A few questions:
    • Are you going to pick a language automatically for the user depending on his/her OS locale (on game's first start)? Or is it supposed to be working already? I'm afraid too many people won't see the option in the configuration, if you display the game in English by default for everyone, and won't know there's a translation available.
    • Could you show some context for the translation strings, for example name of the source code file? That could give a hint to the translator what it is related to.
    • What are those tooltips when I hover the cursor over some translation? Is that a google translate output useful for admins to quickly check whether the translations are at least partly valid?
    • Could the guidelines explain the purpose of up/down-voting a translation? Does it have any effect (e.g. auto-approved at +3), or is it just a small help for the language admin?
    • If there is no language admin for my language here http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135488/translation-admins , does it mean no new strings can be approved until somebody steps up and takes the role?
    • Is it possible to download the translation file and locally test translation changes?

Thanks.
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2016
    I can answer at least to a few of your questions:
    First you may be right about the black page and the login. As I created an account to be an admin I can not fully say I felt like that, but I know what you mean. I suggest this should be changed.

You have to change the language manually in the options. Someone like me looks at every possible setting first before entering the first game. In that case you would not miss the language setting. For quick starters a OS related language pick maybe the best choice but since everybody knows how to play a computer game in english it may not be that important.

As in the Guidelines mentioned you should only translate something if you are pretty sure about the context.

I myself did not find out what the tooltips are good for. But I did not need them either.

In this point I agree with you. The guidelines should explain the voting system. I asked and was told it is as you guessed only a help for the language admin. There is no auto approval. But this is good like it is since you could take 3-4 people translating strings like shit and then approve them with the votes of the other ones.

I guess it's just like that. You need an admin to approve every single string.

I hope I could help you :smiley:
    edited April 2016
    ChrisStark wrote: »
    As in the Guidelines mentioned you should only translate something if you are pretty sure about the context.

I know, but how do you figure out where it is used? An example:
    ABM_NEED (Need )

I don't know what "ABM" is, and "need" is pretty generic. But in languages with declension, I really need to see the full sentence. Where should I look for it? If I see that this is from "commander.cpp" file or "evolve.cpp" file, it might help me quite a bit.
    I hope I could help you :smiley:
    Definitely, thanks a lot!

One further question, for Czech language I see many strings approved (might have happened some time in the past), but no language admin in the list. Is it just missing from the list, or is the admin no longer active and was removed from the list? How do I know?
    I'm glad I could help you. For further language questions ask @GhoulofGSG9
    He should be able to help you :smiley:
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    navazka wrote: »

I know, but how do you figure out where it is used? An example:
    ABM_NEED (Need )

I don't know what "ABM" is, and "need" is pretty generic. But in languages with declension, I really need to see the full sentence. Where should I look for it? If I see that this is from "commander.cpp" file or "evolve.cpp" file, it might help me quite a bit.

Check ingame. Only way to make sure everything fits well. When I took over French translation a few years back, I had to change lots of strings that seemed correct on the translation page but didn't suit ingame.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited April 2016
    How many languages could 300ish player base have? if you really want to bring people together make it free2play. Insted of running a game into the ground waiting for 200 players, 100 players or like combat: 0

*Snip*
    You of all people know to put images in a spoiler tag by now. Also, must you really thread shit? If people want to translate a game they like they may. -Iron

i have bought Ns2 for atleast 20 people because i would feel guilty reccomending the best game in the world (but barely any people to play with) its not like we will go omg it supports hundred more languages

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    1. Are you going to pick a language automatically for the user depending on his/her OS locale (on game's first start)? Or is it supposed to be working already? I'm afraid too many people won't see the option in the configuration, if you display the game in English by default for everyone, and won't know there's a translation available.
    2. Could you show some context for the translation strings, for example name of the source code file? That could give a hint to the translator what it is related to.
    3. What are those tooltips when I hover the cursor over some translation? Is that a google translate output useful for admins to quickly check whether the translations are at least partly valid?
    4. Could the guidelines explain the purpose of up/down-voting a translation? Does it have any effect (e.g. auto-approved at +3), or is it just a small help for the language admin?
    5. If there is no language admin for my language here http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135488/translation-admins , does it mean no new strings can be approved until somebody steps up and takes the role?
    6. Is it possible to download the translation file and locally test translation changes?
    Thanks.
    1. You have to set it manual in your game, last I checked.
    2. Yeh.. right now the best way to go is to simply use your own translations. Like pelar said, you will see flaws in your translation due to context. And then correct those later.
    3. Yup, the hover over is a auto translation.. I think google, not sure.
    4. There is no auto approve last I checked. Its just a indicator what most translators think is best. The language admin decides which one is used, if any of those.
    5. Yes, only a language admin can approve strings. Although pressing approve is still faster then translating them yourself. So having minions..uhm help, helps :p
    6. Yes. but remember the build system grabs the version we have in translation. So if a new build comes along, what you have filled in and approved is still live.

As a general thing, I find its much more motivating if you have help translating. It is a rather boring task, and if you are in doubt about something then it helps to have others to talk to.
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Check ingame. Only way to make sure everything fits well. When I took over French translation a few years back, I had to change lots of strings that seemed correct on the translation page but didn't suit ingame.
    But that's the point, the context would help people to know where ingame to find it.
    1. Is it possible to download the translation file and locally test translation changes?
    Thanks.
    1. Yes. but remember the build system grabs the version we have in translation. So if a new build comes along, what you have filled in and approved is still live.
    Yes, but I meant immediately - copy the file somewhere, start NS2 and see it in action. It can help translators to figure out whether the translated strings are e.g. too long and need to be shorter, whether all characters render properly, spot inconsistencies, etc.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Yes, you can. I am sorry I was unclear. You can download the file from translations and shove it into your ns2 manually.
    But its still going to be live on the next build :P
    Yes, you can. I am sorry I was unclear. You can download the file from translations and shove it into your ns2 manually.
    But its still going to be live on the next build :P

Found it, thanks :smile: (SteamApps/common/Natural Selection 2/ns2/gamestrings)
    Now that should be in the guidelines!
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    edited April 2016
    We do have description in each translated text in our work and helps explain. Defined as follows:

[location] - [usage] - [note]

location: is like 'general menu', 'in game hint text' or 'HUD'
    usage: describe reason text is shown
    note: do explain details

Examples ?
    HUD - when player is re-spawning - marine team
    ToolTip - join the game - newcomer join ready room for first time

NOTE: you don't need original texts when you have explanation like this. Sometimes different languages have different sentence composition and original (English texts) are misleading and result to very strange translations.

EDIT: will you support subscription for admins of mods? I have 3 texts in my GunGame mod which will be worth to translate but dunno how to do it, and where to subscribe to allow community to translate them (I know only 3 languages so far and two of them are c# and lua)
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    is non-alphabet support finally in now? what about parameterization of unique nouns and word order?
  • MisterOizoMisterOizo Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178214Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    I would like to see more information about translations too. Screenshots would be the best to show the context. What ZycaR wrote, would work too.
    Could some developer fix "Download file" functionality? It does not download the current translations, but old, unchanged file from the last official NS2 release. Therefore it's useless, because it's not possible to download and try new translations immediately, translators need to wait for a new NS2 release, just to see if everything is rendered properly. It's not possible to translate something well when there's no way of having an immediate feedback.

Also, for all strings containing \n translators need to input \\n, because one of the backslashes disappears after page reload. That should also be fixed, most people won't notice when translating and the texts will be broken.
    Also, rendering of certain Czech characters is broken. All the characters with carons use a different font (which is very thin and tall), and it looks very ugly and hard to read. See below:
    mecg96osyi0v.jpg

The characters are supposed to look like ordinary ascii characters, just with a small graphics above them:
    agi9zx6hgpcd.png

It would be much better to use the font which supports Czech alphabet in the whole game, instead of doing mix and match of two different fonts. Developers, is it possible to do this, please? I'm quite sure I can find some free-to-commercially-use fonts supporting full Czech alphabet (and probably many other European languages as well), if needed.
    It would be much better to use the font which supports Czech alphabet in the whole game, instead of doing mix and match of two different fonts.

Alternatively, I could try to draw the missing characters into the existing font, if it's a bitmap font, shouldn't be too hard. It's just images.
    I have drawn the missing Czech characters into the font file, I have started a topic about it here. Developers, please have a look in there, thanks.