New Deep Biome Ideas

pineaptorpineaptor South Carolina Join Date: 2016-04-02 Member: 215221Members
Hey guys one of the things I've loved about subnautica this far is all the cool and different biomes in the game, but at the moment the deeper parts of the game are kinda limited. So I was wondering if you guys might have some ideas for biomes that are way deep.

Some suggestions:

Dormant Lava Tubes: This would be an area where lava tubes once existed but are now cold leaving only dark long tunnels connected by a maze of smaller tunnels made by local fauna along with adjoining cave systems. The idea with this biome would be that large armored carnivorous eels ( sorta like this https://i.ytimg.com/vi/OIKJfyMUlZg/hqdefault.jpg) patrol the tunnels giving the biome an unpredictable and very dangerous nature. The rocks walls would have spots of bio-luminescent algae along with a mix of resources. Also because this environment shouldn't have any natural sunlight maybe it would be cool if you needed night vision goggles to properly operate in this biome as sort of an entrance requirement. Should also up the scare factor of the worms. I was also thinking this environment could act as a nice pathway to the inactive lava zone maybe.

Boneyard: In nature dead whales and other large animals sink to the bottom and get eaten by the local fauna. How cool would it be if there was a graveyard of bones and scavengers somewhere down in the dark. I think it could be really interesting if it had an ambush predator like a bobbit worm waiting for a passing diver. I also think this could introduce a place for some deep sea giant creatures sort of in the same vein as Greenland shark that is passive, but is still carnivorous.

Survivor Colony: On the floater island you can find logs saying another ship went down and survived. Later they say they went below the waves to make a base, what if they didn't die. This could be a very large town of survivors and could act as a plot point for the player.

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    The boneyard sounds a bit like the upcoming lost river biome. I like the sound of the lava tubes.
  • etherealyandereetherealyandere UK Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213830Members
    The lava tunnels could be cool, but I personally don't like the idea. Mainly cause they would terrify the shit out of me and I get scared enough playing as it is.

Like Nova says, the upcoming Lost River biome is similar to your boneyard idea. There's going to be huuuuge skeletons in there so hopefully that should give you something to look forward too ^^

While I cant be 100% sure, I think you actually can find the base the Floater Island PDA references. If I'm correct, its the abandoned base in the Jelly Shroom caves. However, don't hold out for finding any survivors in-game as the devs have said (and it was said recently too) that there will not be any NPC's in the game.
  • pineaptorpineaptor South Carolina Join Date: 2016-04-02 Member: 215221Members
    Yeah I'm so excited for the Lost River biome it's gonna be really cool from what I've seen. Hey what if there was a biome that was just a huge floating school of glowing jellyfish in the water column. Sort of like a random event or something?
  • KregonKregon Hell Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210656Members
    Actually I was just thinking about something like this. Journey to the center of the earth. A cave under the ocean that has an air pocket. lava light plants. I would really like to use the terraformer and create a cave plant some o2 crating plants and make a habitable cave.