Why Browser Ping Always Higher Than In-Game Ping?

cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
It seems that the ping shown in the server browser is always noticeably higher than the ping shown in-game. What's going on?

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I believe this is because it takes an average ping, but someone may come and correct me.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Recently your in game latency was changed to be more accurate, but i don't know if the same was done to the browser.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Nordic wrote: »
    I believe this is because it takes an average ping, but someone may come and correct me.

Nah it's not that. I checked the latency over time.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Recently your in game latency was changed to be more accurate, but i don't know if the same was done to the browser.
    Is there a reason why if i ping/traceroute it'll get like 5ms to the ip, when in game i get like 15-20ms? but in other games hosted on the same provider like cs for instance it'll give me 5ms too? i know there's alot of funky data going through including latency and processing, but just curious again (maybe matso can chime in?)
  • videoPvideoP Join Date: 2014-04-06 Member: 195209Members
    for me, the server browser ping is mostly useless. it fluctuates +- 50 if i repeatedly refresh the server. ingame ping seems like a much more stable and accurate reading. not to be rude but its somewhat baffling how such a basic feature (accurate serverbrowser ping) is lacking even 4 years after release.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Keep in mind some routers don't deal well with being "flooded" by pinging for updates. This can affect what's seen I believe.

You can lower Max ping refresh rate in Steam's settings, or you can use Steam's server browser.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Bump, issue still present. Is there a way to verify if it's a router problem or the thing you mentioned?