Patch 292 Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

2»

Comments

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I also need to say, that performance on Wooza was more of problem when I still played on my toaster and before the CDT optimization. Not saying that hits are not felt anymore entirely. Just that with time and better hardware the problem is less impacting.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    rkfg wrote: »
    Arguably, 24p servers have already skewed the image of ns2 in the eyes of the (few remaining) casual players. After all, which servers are populated?
    (I'd like to note that 18p and 20p seem to be on the brink of extinction.)
    And that's absolutely fine by me as 6x6 game is too hardcore (or competitive...) and you have too much responsibility for your every action. It's not fun and it requires too much sweat to achieve the victory. Not something I'd like to play after work, seriously, because it feels like I'm working again. But that's just me of course.

I agree with you there - but I still feel like 24p is a clusterfuck. Especially on tram. Which for some inexplicably reason gets played on every other round even on these servers. (I mean, yeah, it's a great map - if the team size fits.)
    Aliens are basically a time-bomb that goes off after the deadline passes. So a vet joined in the middle can bite RTs or put a sneaky tunnel but that's often not enough to win the game

Not sure if I agree here. Yes, aliens are definitely a time bomb, but in my experience it takes a lot more than one experienced marine joining to turn it around - after all, he can't kill all those oni alone. And currently it looks to me like the only thing aliens are doing from midgame on is waiting for onos and then steamrolling everything.
    An experienced player joining aliens, on the other hand, will often accelerate this.

Still mostly agree with your overall points though.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    And currently it looks to me like the only thing aliens are doing from midgame on is waiting for onos and then steamrolling everything.
    Yep, but when onis are up, that's not a midgame already, more like the end of it. Midgame is the fade-fest and a skilled shotgun can seriously hinder their strength. Without fades onis would be vulnerable to jetpacks with shotguns. Sometimes lerks with spores/umbra may partially replace fades but they're even quicker to be shot by 'rines.

And if two vet friends stack for marines during the round helping each other... It requires a lot of efforts from aliens to kill that couple as they may block some passage for quite a while.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited March 2016
    And currently it looks to me like the only thing aliens are doing from midgame on is waiting for onos and then steamrolling everything.
    Yep, but when onis are up, that's not a midgame already, more like the end of it. Midgame is the fade-fest and a skilled shotgun can seriously hinder their strength. Without fades onis would be vulnerable to jetpacks with shotguns. Sometimes lerks with spores/umbra may partially replace fades but they're even quicker to be shot by 'rines.

Oh, I agree that that's endgame. But that's not what I meant. What I meant is that by midgame, aliens have gained so much pres and thus momentum that even an experienced player joining marines won't make that much of a difference - either marines have been playing well that round (depriving aliens of pres by killing harvesters) or they haven't; in the first case, they have good chances of winning (ofc the experienced player will tip this in their favor, but it's by no means solely to him), in the second case, the damage has been done, and the experienced player won't be able to do all that much. Onos are still going to go up, at best a little later.

Sadly, even without fades, jetpacks and shotguns often fail to hunt down onos in pub, in my experience. Frankly, I think late game needs to be rebalanced somehow.

edit: My point is, aliens basically just have to survive midgame, while marines have to win mid-to-lategame; otherwise it's gonna be very alien favored.
    And if two vet friends stack for marines during the round helping each other... It requires a lot of efforts from aliens to kill that couple as they may block some passage for quite a while.

Well, yes, if that happens the whole balance goes down the drain anyway...
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    What I meant is that by midgame, aliens have gained so much pres and thus momentum that even an experienced player joining marines won't make that much of a difference - either marines have been playing well that round (depriving aliens of pres by killing harvesters) or they haven't
    That is mostly true, I agree. But I played more than one round when aliens were clearly winning but somehow stopped pushing hard enough midway when a good (like, NSL-level) player joined marines and slowly aliens started to lose one point after another. In the end we were stomped and no one had a clear understanding of what happened and how we could fail in that situation. That player was on the top of the scoreboard (despite the lesser playtime) so the impact was obvious. Yeah, I'm aware that K/D ratio isn't that important in NS2 but still.
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sadly, even without fades, jetpacks and shotguns often fail to hunt down onos in pub, in my experience. Frankly, I think late game needs to be rebalanced somehow.

edit: My point is, aliens basically just have to survive midgame, while marines have to win mid-to-lategame; otherwise it's gonna be very alien favored.

The problem in pubs is that marines struggle lane blocking and sometimes even killing skulks. So the aliens don't even feel the need to learn how to lerk or fade. They just need to resbite and wait until onos time because it is much easier to play and much more game-changing at this level of skill

If you reduce Gore damage to 90 then onos play becomes a little more challenging in pubs. In that situation the commander only needs to out-med a couple good marines to make them kill an onos (or at least make him run away like hell)

Besides, one of the most frustrating things in this game is to be 1-hit killed by an onos when you have a jetpack and you think that you are out of his range... but then latency compensation kicks in and you are dead.
    What I meant is that by midgame, aliens have gained so much pres and thus momentum that even an experienced player joining marines won't make that much of a difference - either marines have been playing well that round (depriving aliens of pres by killing harvesters) or they haven't
    That is mostly true, I agree. But I played more than one round when aliens were clearly winning but somehow stopped pushing hard enough midway when a good (like, NSL-level) player joined marines and slowly aliens started to lose one point after another. In the end we were stomped and no one had a clear understanding of what happened and how we could fail in that situation. That player was on the top of the scoreboard (despite the lesser playtime) so the impact was obvious. Yeah, I'm aware that K/D ratio isn't that important in NS2 but still.

Not saying it can't happen - just saying it's not all that common.
    Blrg wrote: »

The problem in pubs is that marines struggle lane blocking
    Yes. It's infuriating. Unfortunately I don't see a way to fix this :I

If you reduce Gore damage to 90 then onos play becomes a little more challenging in pubs. In that situation the commander only needs to out-med a couple good marines to make them kill an onos (or at least make him run away like hell)

Besides, one of the most frustrating things in this game is to be 1-hit killed by an onos when you have a jetpack and you think that you are out of his range... but then latency compensation kicks in and you are dead.

Can't agree enough with this. I'd love to see that change tested.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Woozas combination of high player count and low skill actually give it nearly a 50/50 win rates. The thirsty onos is marine sided, and tactical gamer is alien sided. You can check this on their respective wonitor pages.
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    There's a good deal of stack-age that goes on, and I'm not sure of servers with spectator slots....

Should they be white listed for the hive? I don't think so...

I'm certain ghosting has located me at times; it is the uncertainty that kills the fun. People who have tried to defend spectator slots, have even tried to say the ghosts could just join the other team, but that takes more pretending and sacrifice.

already mentioned, 24 is large, the definition of large should be re-evaluated.

Wouldn't it all be better to not have any hive score?

Using active admins are really the only way to stop smurfs, imbalance, and the miss-informers.

Some problems just can't be solved with an algorithm. Other problems arise from such rankings.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    the aliens don't even feel the need to learn how to lerk or fade. They just need to resbite and wait until onos time because it is much easier to play and much more game-changing at this level of skill

Yes, It's hard to casually learn to play fade.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited March 2016
    Nordic wrote: »
    The thirsty onos is marine sided, and tactical gamer is alien sided. You can check this on their respective wonitor pages.

I would say win rates are close to 50% on The Thirsty Onos servers. Marines have won 51.7% of the rounds on TTO20 and 54,6% on TTO24. TTO18 is my rookies only server but I started collecting stats from it just a couple of days ago.

Thirsty Onos wonitor stats
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Interesting. Last time I looked at your stats, only one server had a large sample size. It was at 55% then.
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    it just occured to me that this could be the first steps froma fps-rts hybrid towards a fps-rts-rpg-hybrid. Let all players in the hive evolve individually and claim these upgrades through getting these weird clogs (with a setback in some other area) and viola! Ns2 is also part rpg :wink:
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    devel wrote: »
    Yes, It's hard to casually learn to play fade.

It's hard to casually play fade on a 24-player server, yes. Because every room you blink in to has a half dozen Marines standing in it.

I am no Fade/Lerk expert, but I primarily try and find 8v8 servers (or close as possible), and it's great - you need to be really unlucky/stupid to lose a Fade quickly on those. Much more room to breathe.