Patch 292 Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited March 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imagePatch 292 Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Hello recruits! We are currently working behind the scenes on thoughts and changes based on your feedback over the last few months. While we do this, there are still other things being developed...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I will check this out immediately... after I get my system to run 3d applications again.

For those of us who don't have access to the game right now, how do these new collectibles work?
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    excited for this. nice
  • BruteBrute Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67778Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    All C-style code comments have been refactored to Lua-style

missed some
    pattern: ^|[^:"/]//
    ./core/lua/MixinDispatcherBuilder.lua
    ./ns2/lua/LOSMixin.lua
    ./ns2/lua/SelectableMixin.lua
    ./ns2/lua/GUIEventTester.lua
    ./ns2/lua/OwnerMixin.lua
    ./ns2/lua/Update.lua
    ./ns2/lua/EventTester.lua
    ./ns2/lua/Hive_Client.lua
    ./ns2/lua/Player_Client.lua
    ./ns2/lua/AlienCommander.lua
    ./ns2/lua/Hive.lua
    ./ns2/lua/ScoringMixin.lua
    ./ns2/lua/PlayerRanking.lua

pattern: (^| )/\*
    ./ns2/lua/Update.lua
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Do these items have any use besides making your inventory bloated?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2016
    Brute wrote: »
    All C-style code comments have been refactored to Lua-style

missed some
    pattern: ^|[^:"/]//
    ./core/lua/MixinDispatcherBuilder.lua
    ./ns2/lua/LOSMixin.lua
    ./ns2/lua/SelectableMixin.lua
    ./ns2/lua/GUIEventTester.lua
    ./ns2/lua/OwnerMixin.lua
    ./ns2/lua/Update.lua
    ./ns2/lua/Hive_Client.lua
    ./ns2/lua/Player_Client.lua
    ./ns2/lua/AlienCommander.lua
    ./ns2/lua/Hive.lua
    ./ns2/lua/ScoringMixin.lua
    ./ns2/lua/PlayerRanking.lua

pattern: (^| )/\*
    ./ns2/lua/Update.lua

Those files are not even part of the ns2 repo anymore, no idea why they are still inside the steam repo
    • ns2/lua/Update.lua
    • ns2/lua/EventTester.lua

The other founds are inside comments or string literals and should be ignored.

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester

Perhaps they're just another sellable to you, since you won't appreciate the coolness factor.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Fixed respawning at random view angles. Your camera view after spawning will now match where you were looking while respawning

Wait, you fixed the spawn-looking-at-the-floor bug?
    After all these years.. Is it really done? There be cheering and drinking.

Just to safeguard, can we get an achievement, "I've seen the floor.", if it happens again?

• rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    zeep wrote: »
    Fixed respawning at random view angles. Your camera view after spawning will now match where you were looking while respawning

Wait, you fixed the spawn-looking-at-the-floor bug?
    After all these years.. Is it really done? There be cheering and drinking.

Just to safeguard, can we get an achievement, "I've seen the floor.", if it happens again?

Hell no, it probably only fixes rotation around Y-axis so you'll not spawn backwards. It doesn't say anything about floors so no achievement for you, sorry.

(I really hope it's fixed once and for all, of course)
  • ED0ggYED0ggY Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17103Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good patch,

also thanks for clearing the Achievements up with the wording to advised it is in 1round.

Patron Saint of Res
    Kill a Marine while defending a Harvester 10 times in 1 round

Rifles Only
    Destroy 15 Extractors in 1 round

Keep it up.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Yes, hats do wonders.
  • navazkanavazka Join Date: 2015-12-08 Member: 209825Members

Thank you!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    Calego wrote: »

Perhaps they're just another sellable to you, since you won't appreciate the coolness factor.

Don't get me wrong, I like collecting random stuff but we already have a collectable set of images called trading cards, and those actually have a "use."

This is all I can think about regarding this.

Sorry if I offend anyone who worked on this or enjoys it, but I'm just asking.. why? If you can't show off or kill someone with it, why would someone want to buy it from me?
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    They're not marketable, just tradable. You can exchange them with your friends to get a full collection. I suppose there could be an achievement for getting all of them...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    What are they? How can you get them? Can you get all of them yourself?
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Calego wrote: »

They aren't marketable apparently. I'm confused as to what exactly they are for, since as far as I can tell unless you are actively trading with someone or otherwise making an effort to show the items off, there isn't even any way for anyone but you to know you have them.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2016
    For now, the purpose is to collect them, see their art, read their descriptions. If people enjoy collecting them, we will do more with them, and we do have some relatively simple ideas already:

* Make them able to be showcased in a "NS2 Player Profile"
    * Make it so you can craft the full set into a special shoulder badge

More ideas of what they COULD be used for would be awesome, and we'd also love to hear what your favorite items are.
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    edited March 2016
    you probably already thought about it, but;suggestion:make them grant tiny bonuses like really slow regeneratin or slightly slower walking speed, or tiny amount of more pres. i can hear the purists scream already...;)
  • ResistorResistor Russia Join Date: 2014-08-01 Member: 197747Members
    edited March 2016
    These items could be somehow converted in badges (near the nickname in scoreboard). Is it the same as
    remi wrote: »
    * Make them able to be showcased in a "NS2 Player Profile"
    ?

And game could use some paid "taunts". Some folks just like humiliating the enemy after killing, they're gonna pay.
    jrgn wrote: »
    you probably already thought about it, but;suggestion:make them grant tiny bonuses like really slow regeneratin or slightly slower walking speed, or tiny amount of more pres. i can hear the purists scream already...;)
    Herecy!
    Aurghrahhh!!1111

Well, this idea is not so bad IF it's enabled only on several servers that are marked as such. It would be pretty hard to balance as well. The game would fork to the competitive and "fun" branches, like TF2, with per-player perks. I don't think it will ruin anything, we already have Wooza (that's completely unbalanced) and no one complains; you don't want to play it, you just don't.

It may introduce some really interesting discrepancies to the core gameplay. Some players may become more important than others, they may have specific roles. Like slower and armed tank-marine (+20 HP or armor) or scout which runs fast and less noisy but is easier to kill and armor upgrades don't affect him. Or one player may have a wider shotgun cone or more buck-shots in it and less clip size. The possibilities are endless! If it only can be chosen at the start of the round, people would choose more carefully. It's a little bit like Combat but with all the parts we love in NS2 itself.

And the competitive scene should not suffer from this.
    Resistor wrote: »
    Some folks just like humiliating the enemy after killing, they're gonna pay.

**raises his hand** Me, it's me he's talking about! I want more offensive and sarcastic taunts!
    rkfg wrote: »
    we already have Wooza (that's completely unbalanced) and no one complains;

*chuckles*
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    we already have Wooza (that's completely unbalanced) and no one complains.

Well, thats not true.
    I am complaining since 2 years.

So the correct phrase would be:
    "we already have Wooza (that's completely unbalanced) and no developer cares."
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    *Fixed respawning at random view angles. Your camera view after spawning will now match where you were looking while respawning* FINAAAAAAALLLLYYYYYYYYY i hate looking at a skulk on the powernode biting then spawn in backwards looking completely the other way lol
    dePARA wrote: »
    So the correct phrase would be:
    "we already have Wooza (that's completely unbalanced) and no developer cares."
    Why should they? People are free to create any mods they want as well as play or ignore them. I don't see a problem here. More playstyle diversity means more fun in the end, isn't it?

How exactly are you complaining and what do you expect? "They're doing things I dislike plz ban them!" I hope that's not it.

This can only become a problem if it's forced upon everyone (like it was with atmospheric territories), otherwise every server admin can decide if they want to use these mechanics or stay closer to the vanilla. People mostly love options and choices, believe me.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    Why should they? People are free to create any mods they want as well as play or ignore them. I don't see a problem here. More playstyle diversity means more fun in the end, isn't it?

How exactly are you complaining and what do you expect? "They're doing things I dislike plz ban them!" I hope that's not it.

This can only become a problem if it's forced upon everyone (like it was with atmospheric territories), otherwise every server admin can decide if they want to use these mechanics or stay closer to the vanilla. People mostly love options and choices, believe me.
    There are two problems:
    - It is Hive whitelisted / ranked. What makes it pass: The mod doesn't change the overall game balance. (last answer). But does this rule make sense and if so, how can it be interpreted? Looking at the whitelist I read it as "Anything remotely resembling Alien vs Marine".
    - People getting a false image of what NS2 is. Performance and gameplay / balancewise.

Edit: Even more relevant with Hive2 in the making with a possible split between Alien / Marine / Comms skill.
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    - People getting a false image of what NS2 is. Performance and gameplay / balancewise.

I think the 24p servers are much worse at this - at least there's only one wooza's. (I'm aware that there's some other extremely high playercount servers, but as far as I can tell those aren't regularly populated.)
    Arguably, 24p servers have already skewed the image of ns2 in the eyes of the (few remaining) casual players. After all, which servers are populated?
    (I'd like to note that 18p and 20p seem to be on the brink of extinction.)
    The second issue isn't really about the game. I can say the same about NS2+ but it's very doubtful anyone would prefer playing vanilla over the modded one. Is playing with NS2+ giving a false image of what NS2 is? What about compmod? The proposed mod is just like any other, it changes some core elements so the game becomes more fun and more complex. As long as it's a mod or a switchable mechanic it's a non-issue (I think).

About whitelisting, yes, I forgot about that. But still, balancing in its current state is no way perfect as it doesn't try to equal the distribution, only the average numbers and it often results in seemingly equal team skills while having one marine-rambo-vet devastating everyone in sight. I mean, getting high skill on Wooza's won't change much apart than tickling your self-esteem. Vapor skill only means that your team would get more hardcore opponents and you'll lose more often quickly blowing it off.

Also, that last answer emphasizes the following: "I want to note that the player count of a server was never a criteria as the hive rating takes the player count into account." Still, I saw marines winning much more often at Wooza's than aliens. Especially if there's a couple of vets on the marine side and a non-rookie commander that actually meds.

I think the skill argument is a completely different topic as it has many issues considering that a skilled marine can turn the tides even at the middle of the round (and the current skill formula doesn't account for this). Aliens are basically a time-bomb that goes off after the deadline passes. So a vet joined in the middle can bite RTs or put a sneaky tunnel but that's often not enough to win the game. The skill system is flawed anyway but we don't have anything better just yet. That's why I think the entire whitelist thing is not so important.