Randomness in world generation, resources and fragments.

toxickillertoxickiller Earth Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215003Members
This has probably been discussed here before but I figured I'd just make sure the idea is out there:

It'd be really fantastic if this game had random world generation like Minecraft or Don't Starve. Anybody whose played those games can tell you that being able to start a new world and have to explore it really aids in the replay-ability and longevity of a game.

And if this is technically unfeasible or impractical maybe you change the scale of the randomness? For example, have the various 'biomes' remain topographically the same but change their location relative to the life pod and each other. The Grand Reef could be behind the Aurora, or right below it, or maybe the complete opposite direction.

Or if that is also unfeasible, how about changing up where resources and fragments spawn on each new game save? You may find moonpool fragments in the shallows, or cyclops parts, etc.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    yes thing like this have bin discussed here several times. and feasibility isn´t the problem other games have done it with the same engine. and as far as i have seen most players are for it but i dont know any official responds from unknown worlds.
    random fragment spawn is a different thing since fragments have bin moved int wrecks and are nolong just lockboxes lying around you also have to keep in mind that you need certain things to get others. if fragments were to spawn randomly there is the possibility that some would be unreachable.
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    For what I've read on internet all the map is designed by hand, that causes debats about the size of the map.
    I think this could have some issues about the depths of the biomes, finaly the positions doesn't change so much with restrictions like that
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    Bobythebee wrote: »
    For what I've read on internet all the map is designed by hand, that causes debats about the size of the map.
    I think this could have some issues about the depths of the biomes, finaly the positions doesn't change so much with restrictions like that

yes the worlds is made by hand. and while this makes the world look amazing it als drastically limits its size play time and replay value. witch is why (and i have mentioned this before) in my mind a mix of both would be the best choice have the beautiful hand crafted areas and some random/procedural areas between those. plus this would make the exploration even more exiting since you would have to do it yourself and not just check the forums or wiki for everything.