Diving Bell

eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
Will my Little Diving Bell still work after the O2 update? Its not sounding good.
guttkghvp0hu.jpg
In Marchs update
https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap

Comments

• BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    [Source : Trello roadmap]

Basically what we are going to do is a radically simplified version: If the base has power then it refills your oxygen. If it is out of power then it doesn't. The end.

Details:

oxygen refills only when base is powered
    -- mask stays on if base is unpowered
    -- player continues consuming oxygen from tanks if base unpowered
    -- lights off in unpowered bases (!)
    -- get this implemented but do not merge to main until lights on/off are working to better communicate base power

-- also: each corridor draws a little power for lights

makes bigger bases more challenging to supply with power

Seamoth oxygen stays unlimited, but
    -- unpowered Seamoth doesn't give oxygen
    -- unpowered Seamoth has internal lights off
    -- mask stays on when entering unpowered Seamoth

Cyclops oxygen unlimited
    -- unpowered Cyclops lights off
    -- unpowered Cyclops gives no oxygen
    -- mask stays on when entering unpowered Cyclops

Further tweaks: - Seamoth safe depth much more limited by default

So, according to your picture, one solar panel and you'll be fine :)
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    edited March 2016
    depends what ways they will give us to produce o2 for our bases. Electrolysis would be would be one way considering the water we stimm in even contains o2 we could be swimming in deuterium for all we know.
    ok scratch that
    Bobythebee wrote: »

Basically what we are going to do is a radically simplified version: If the base has power then it refills your oxygen. If it is out of power then it doesn't. The end.

Details:

-- get this implemented but do not merge to main until lights on/off are working to better communicate base power

Cyclops oxygen unlimited

looks like i have to severely upgrade my solar farm but what about plants or having parts of you base above the surface. they are making it too simple.
    Simple for a surface base, to build into the depths you'll need to be well prepared, make a plan or simply fill the Cyclops with ressources for the Humanity >:)
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    That might cause issues when I make my Observation Pod (Corridor, attach observatory, remove corridor, attach hatch to observatory), but I tend to carry around four and a half minutes of oxygen anyway. However, for people who don't carry around half of an inventory of air tanks, I can see this being a major issue. However, there is definitely the realism aspect to it, so I'm perfectly fine with the whole thing. I'll just need to add an extra thermal plant, and since my base is literally 50 meters from a black smoker, that's not much of a problem in that respect.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    I *DO* think that if you at a depth of less than or equal to 0m, you should *ALWAYS* replenish O2..... because you can just open a topside base hatch....
    edited March 2016
    I *DO* think that if you at a depth of less than or equal to 0m, you should *ALWAYS* replenish O2..... because you can just open a topside base hatch....

That's true both with 0m bases and potential future pipeway.

But you can imagine the energy required is for redirect the oxygen flow through the levels.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    I am going to have to look into the piping air thing I never use. Or carrey with me a bioreactor and creepvines.
  • j0ndavj0ndav Bristol Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214373Members
    yea, bioreactor might become more useable. Either that or make a zillion power relays back to solar panels.

That's true both with 0m bases and potential future pipeway.

[stuff]
    wait - so pipes are (eventually) going to come in as a means to carry O2 from surface to base?

i've read this is a possibility
    i've read this is a possibility

oh I soooo hope so!
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    How about the devs adding a power generator that uses Power Cells. The Seamoth and Cyclops are both powered by Power Cells and it seems like each Power Cell gives 100 Energy to the Cyclops. If the Cyclops' six power generators can recharge the Seamoth, keep the lights on, keep the oxygen flowing, run a fabricator, and move, then a single Power Cell should be able to keep the lights on and oxygen flowing for an indefinite amount of time in a Diving Bell.

Also if it is available from the start of the game, then it would give a decent way to power up any initial bases before finding any blueprint fragments. After all, it just costs 4 Acid Mushrooms, 2 Coppers, and 2 Creepvine Seed Clusters for a Power Cell.
  • The_PainThe_Pain Virginia Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202779Members
    starkaos wrote: »
    How about the devs adding a power generator that uses Power Cells. The Seamoth and Cyclops are both powered by Power Cells and it seems like each Power Cell gives 100 Energy to the Cyclops. If the Cyclops' six power generators can recharge the Seamoth, keep the lights on, keep the oxygen flowing, run a fabricator, and move, then a single Power Cell should be able to keep the lights on and oxygen flowing for an indefinite amount of time in a Diving Bell.

Also if it is available from the start of the game, then it would give a decent way to power up any initial bases before finding any blueprint fragments. After all, it just costs 4 Acid Mushrooms, 2 Coppers, and 2 Creepvine Seed Clusters for a Power Cell.

Way back in the early Alpha when they first added in power they had exactly that. It was a generator with one power cell plugged in, but with space for 5 more cells, although being able to place in more power cells was never implemented. They also for a time had an unbuildable icon for a power collector, the idea being it would store power and be charged by (Solar, bio, nuclear) and then when it was night time or the power generators turned off it would kick in. They've stated they're still considering bring that idea back.

They've also stated the idea of having a battery charging station, somewhere you could plug in dead batteries and power cells and have your base power recharge them much like your seamoth. They've also mentioned they're working on the idea of letting your Cyclops dock with your base, that'd be a much more balanced way to recharge the cyclops economically.
    The_Pain wrote: »

Way back in the early Alpha when they first added in power they had exactly that. It was a generator with one power cell plugged in, but with space for 5 more cells, although being able to place in more power cells was never implemented. They also for a time had an unbuildable icon for a power collector, the idea being it would store power and be charged by (Solar, bio, nuclear) and then when it was night time or the power generators turned off it would kick in. They've stated they're still considering bring that idea back.

They've also stated the idea of having a battery charging station, somewhere you could plug in dead batteries and power cells and have your base power recharge them much like your seamoth. They've also mentioned they're working on the idea of letting your Cyclops dock with your base, that'd be a much more balanced way to recharge the cyclops economically.

Interesting. Wonder why they decided to scrap that idea. My idea was partially based on the battery charging station. It is possible that the battery charging station can work both ways. If power can flow from the base to the battery, then it can flow from the battery to the base. Put in a full Power Cell and its energy is drained while putting in an empty Power Cell will cause it to be recharged.
    I agree the battery have been useful when it was the only power source, also this can be the best way to provide power to a diving bell. But solar panels make the work. For the first wrecks you can use Purple coral brain and a floater :)

Power generator based on batteries have only one purpose, temporary power. You can't rely on that after the early game and i suppose this is why the power generator isn't anymore in game.

But that's ashame you can't store power, my central base rely on 6 solar panels and 2 bio-reactors and some nights if the seamoth recharge + water filtration my base run on low energy levels.
  • PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    edited April 2016
    The_Pain wrote: »

I think you mean the accumulator? I agree too, it would be great to stock energy excesses, especially for near surface bases which mostly rely on solar panels and bioreactors. For example, adding my outside lights drained so much power in addition to the water filtration machine that power wasn't running at all during night times. Also outside lights can't be switched during day time, so my solar panels couldn't keep up restoring full energy.

The battery charging station is currently in development although I'd prefer to have one for power cells too, which are even more important and item consuming than batteries.
  • OsydiusOsydius France Join Date: 2015-09-19 Member: 208031Members
    Using energy to make Oxygen, and also making lights depend on energy, means we really need much more control over our bases. We need to be able to turn lights on/off, turn water filtration on/off, turn generators on/off. Because as it is now, you start the game with Solar panels. If everything is going to draw on your energy, you barely will have enough left for crafting, and you will find yourself energyless when you need it the most, at night (lights in base serve little purpose during the day if you have windows).

So you would want to turn lights off and bioreactor off during the day and have the filtration going on, and then turn lights on and bioreactor on during the night, and turn off the filtration. The oxygen should, of course, always be on.

So this basically calls for the implementation of a Control Room which would give us control over our bases energy distribution. Otherwise it's going to be a pain to manage everything and it will, for instance, lead players to never use lights (flares will do) and filtration (filtration is barely useful as it is).

We should also be able to use pipes to bring O2 in our bases.
    Osydius wrote: »
    So this basically calls for the implementation of a Control Room which would give us control over our bases energy distribution.
    This could be done with a simple PDA menu, wich will be available when you are in or near a base, for me, this could be even more simple
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members

Details:

Cyclops oxygen unlimited

I hope my 1600 Power Solar deck will be fine for my base lol
    j0ndav wrote: »
    yea, bioreactor might become more useable. Either that or make a zillion power relays back to solar panels.

My Floating island base uses 3 bioreactors. I have 2 Creepvine planting beds right next to them so that I always have fuel for when i'm in the area.

Also we need a Water Turbine power source, to generate power from water currents lol
    Jacara wrote: »
    Also we need a Water Turbine power source, to generate power from water currents lol

This needs currents too haha
  • PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    We will get a power cell charge station: https://sketchfab.com/models/177070a1877d413caa2a1259f88baa4f

Also a new model for the bioreactor: https://sketchfab.com/models/f518859b40ff498ea23116f51962b5a1

That one looks more like it will be built inside a multipurpose room, like the large aquarium.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Pauolo wrote: »
    We will get a power cell charge station: https://sketchfab.com/models/177070a1877d413caa2a1259f88baa4f

Also a new model for the bioreactor: https://sketchfab.com/models/f518859b40ff498ea23116f51962b5a1

That one looks more like it will be built inside a multipurpose room, like the large aquarium.

Interesting. I read somewhere that the nuclear reactor and thermal plant were going to be re-implemented like that, but I missed that bioreactor was getting that treatment.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited April 2016
    Dam ... those new reactors will look pretty cool :smiley: Im glad they decided to redo them and put them inside the base!
    Also im extremely happy that we will get a Powercell charger on top of the battery charger!
    Sidchicken wrote: »

Interesting. I read somewhere that the nuclear reactor and thermal plant were going to be re-implemented like that, but I missed that bioreactor was getting that treatment.

The only generators that should be outside is the Solar Panels and Thermal Plants. Although, having the Nuclear Reactor as its own room would make sense since the more unique rooms the better.
    Sidchicken wrote: »

The only generators that should be outside is the Solar Panels and Thermal Plants. Although, having the Nuclear Reactor as its own room would make sense since the more unique rooms the better.

It should have its own room, with a long corridor and double bulkheads.