Steam Workshop Tag Development

remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
Hey all,

I'm working on adding some tagging capabilities to the NS2 Steam Workshop.

See the categories I am thinking of here: https://trello.com/c/Av7IGeLv/185-add-better-tags-to-steam-workshop
unknown.png

When publishing you would be able to pick
  1. ONLY ONE category for your mod, out of the "customization" and "modification" tag lists (or none)
  2. ONLY ONE of the tags in the "compatibility" section (or none)

What do you think of these categories?

I'm still making some changes, but your feedback is welcome. This is not a one-and-done list. After giving this functionality, if certain tags are not being used (or are being used improperly) I intend to delete them, change them, or add more if that is what is needed.

The point of this is to make it easier for a general NS2 player to browse the workshop, so they are the "audience" for these categories. I am assuming server ops are more technically proficient, and so for example would be able to know that even if the compatibility flag doesn't explicitly say it can be run on the server, they will know *any* mod could be.

Comments

• WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Neat! Would tags be required?

The idea of a single default consistency is a touch problematic when (not if) stock releases VERY rarely change the default consistency.

"Passes Build 291 Default Consistency", my logical "solution" to said problem, seems absurd....
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2016
    Okay my list of personal "issues":
    • What's the purpose of "Safe To Use On Client" ??? All mods not marked as incompatible or "Server Only" should should be safe to use ....
    • What's the difference between Tweaks and Enhancements?
    • Tweak / Enhancement + Server Only = Server Tool !? In that matter Server Tools seems to be redundant.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Wyzcrak wrote: »
    Neat! Would tags be required?
    Nope, not at all. Totally optional.

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2016
    Updates:
    Customization:
    • Crosshairs
    • Hit Sounds
    • Alien Vision
    Modification:
    • Map
    • Game Mode
    • Tweaks
    • Visuals
    • Tool

Compatibility:
    • Passes Default Consistency
    • For Use by Anyone
    • For Use by Servers

Agreed, Enhancements/Tweaks are kind of the same thing.
    "Safe to Use on" -> "For Use by" better communicates the intent

Tool might be an unnecessary category, but I'm willing to keep it in for now and see if anyone uses it.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    There should be another category named local containing stuff like skins only you can see.
    There should be another category named local containing stuff like skins only you can see.

That's the intent of "Visual" and "Passes Consistency Check"... Everything is local if it's not on the server. There is no exception to this.
    I don't really like the category "Visuals" because there can be audio mods too (gun sounds, etc)... maybe cosmetics? or ... ? Any ideas?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    remi wrote: »
    I don't really like the category "Visuals" because there can be audio mods too (gun sounds, etc)... maybe cosmetics? or ... ? Any ideas?

"Audiovisual"? :trollface:

(Look And Feel sounds good, too)
    edited March 2016
    This is live! Feedback / category requests are welcome.
    P.S. You can switch to the NS2 Beta client to get early access to the Launchpad update so you can tag your mods.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Done, done and done. Making me fix my older than NS2-Beta mods, hmmm. You're going on my list @remi :D
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    Could model swaps of new skins to old skins past consistency checking for a client side mod?

I'm not trying to make everyone neon glow or anything; I'm just trying to make them easier to see by selection of original skins.
    This is live with 292