Solar Panels Edges Snap to Each Other.

Dex_LutherDex_Luther Montreal, Qc Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214839Members
I don't know if this has already been suggested, is planned, or it's already in the game and I missed it somehow, but I was placing down solar panels and couldn't for the life of me get them to all line up straight or at least have equal space between them.

The problem is compounded by the fact that the character is constantly bobbing up and down, which makes being precise a matter of quickly spamming the mouse button as the outline is quickly flashing between red and green.

The whole time I was trying to create my solar farm I was thinking "Wouldn't it be great if the panel I'm trying to place snapped to the edge of the one next to it?"

Some sort of grid system would be helpful. When one is placed, it creates an invisible square around it's placement. Then trying to put a second one down next to it it's placement square snaps to the side of the one already placed and so on.

There might even be other items in the game that this might be useful for, and there will more than likely be items in the future that would benefit from something like this.

Again, forgive me if this has already been suggested, is already planned, or is somehow already a hidden option in the game.

Comments

• ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    right now there is now way to line up or center anything and i find it very annoying. so having a snap to grid function would be nice. maybe by hitting R you could engage precision mode. your character freezes in place and you can move the object using your keyboard.
    WASD for movement,
    space and shift for up and down,
    QE for rotation and
    mouse weel for step range.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    I like the idea of turning my mess of solar panels into an honest solar array.
    I mean, the solar panels in question have been deleted because I moved my base to the Grand Reef, but for future games... there's just something pleasing to the eye about perfect ranks and files.
  • Dex_LutherDex_Luther Montreal, Qc Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214839Members
    When I posted this, I was worried it would get no support or that I'd get flammed.

I'm glad people think it's a good idea.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Dex_Luther wrote: »
    When I posted this, I was worried it would get no support or that I'd get flammed.

I'm glad people think it's a good idea.

I could flame you if that makes you feel any better o/
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    Its the old try, try again for me until I get it close, must be straight I keep telling myself.
    Having installed 3 panels in real life for a total of 450 watts of free power.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    @Dex_Luther YES, YES and re-YES YES

Im one serious ''everything needs to be **** perfectly aligned or gtfo'' freak, you'd be impressed by the degree of crazy demented time i waste just to place 5 solar panels next to each other so that they look perfectly aligned lol (yeah i know, its scary) So having them auto. snap into place right next to each others would be my lil piece of heaven.

Of course, id be happy if EVERYTHING you build right next to another one of the same type would magically snap onto each other as a matter of fact, but id be happy with just them solar panels :smiley:
  • Dex_LutherDex_Luther Montreal, Qc Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214839Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    @Dex_Luther YES, YES and re-YES YES

Im one serious ''everything needs to be **** perfectly aligned or gtfo'' freak, you'd be impressed by the degree of crazy demented time i waste just to place 5 solar panels next to each other so that they look perfectly aligned lol (yeah i know, its scary) So having them auto. snap into place right next to each others would be my lil piece of heaven.

Of course, id be happy if EVERYTHING you build right next to another one of the same type would magically snap onto each other as a matter of fact, but id be happy with just them solar panels :smiley:

Like I said I'm sure other items could benefit from this treatment, but I'm not sure what those items are. That's why I didn't list any. If you have any that come to mind, don't be shy and list them out here.

If the devs decide to implement this (crossing my fingers!) it might be useful to them if they saw a list of other items they could apply the same code to while they are at it.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited March 2016
    Dex_Luther wrote: »
    Like I said I'm sure other items could benefit from this treatment, but I'm not sure what those items are. That's why I didn't list any. If you have any that come to mind, don't be shy and list them out here.

If the devs decide to implement this (crossing my fingers!) it might be useful to them if they saw a list of other items they could apply the same code to while they are at it.

-Lockers (both ground and walls ones)
    -Planter trays (both outdoors and indoors)
    -Signs
    -Picture frames

Thats mostly what im psycho on making them aligned perfectly along with the solar panels

• AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    I'd love to have a snap-lock toggle of some sort, especially for solar panels. But with these new planter boxes, it'd be nice to be able to lay out nice, neat rows, or align the chair with the table (especially if we ever get the ability to SIT in it.)
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    edited March 2016
    Grid system for placing ANY additional objects (Sol.panels, planter boxes, on-wall lockers) is a great idea. If someone don't want to use it - in game must be added some switch for ON/OFF this grid system. Remember that wireframe (looking like a grid) on green 'ghost' of object when we choosing its future location? Same grid must be visible on local zone - where we want to place our thing (like an x-ray spot on wall/foundation) and our thing's grid-net must be tied to construction surface' grid-net [line-on-line] or [cross-on-cross].
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    edited March 2016
    Yes an ON/Off switch would be cool. To turn snap mode on/off