A possible evolutionary relationship

The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
So, I was wandering around in one of my trusty SeaMoths as I do, and I heard a sound.

Turned around, and saw a bone shark. I listened to him for a while longer, because I thought I had heard the sound, or something like it, before. Then, it hit me.

See the similarity?

It got me thinking. The sounds made by Bone Sharks, and the ones made by Reapers, are disturbingly similar. So, as I was wandering around (I did encounter an actual Reaper when I went into the dunes on that expedition), I thought to myself about how similar the two really are.

Let's take a look at a few physical parts of them:
Tail fins:
cz0v9qxtg85i.png
wnm65o4mqhza.jpg
If you look, both tail fins are horizontal extensions out of the central body, with the body extending slightly beyond the base of the fins. In addition, both tail fins have the same crescent shape, with a slight upward curve.

Skull protrusions:
w7p7ad8975ju.jpg
g02bbivhrp8x.jpg
This is possibly the most obvious example. Both the Bone Shark and the Reaper Leviathan have four protrusions from the base of the skull, two to each side. On the Bone Shark, these don't do anything, but the Reaper seems to have evolved to have extended and articulated protrusions to use when hunting.

Overall shape:
1cdbiao59r06.jpg
awixe1l2qeuw.png
Both body shapes are strikingly similar. The skull, with a pair of forward fins jutting out from below, make up the front. The elongated body has a bulged-out section right behind the forward fins, then slims down to move along into the tail fins.

Ridge:
rgbj09yvklax.jpg
oactbk2ehaxh.jpg
Both creatures have a ridge of some form along their back. The Bone Shark has overlapping layers of its exoskeleton, and the Reaper has a pair of parallel red lines of something running from just behind the head to the tail.

Forward fins:
q8cykt7lfy8i.jpg
h2bp0szxzagg.jpg
Both have almost-straight fins starting from the bottom of the body, just behind the head. These each curve very slightly back from their base to their tip, and both are unusually thick for fins.

Teeth:
oajaoptt84is.jpg
3qlzz55snkfj.jpg
Both the Reaper and the Bone Shark have a large amount of uneven teeth, which are as far forward as the shape of the jaw will allow (resulting in no outer lips for either).

And that's not all. There are also the things you can't just see in a picture.
For instance, spawn zones.
Reaper Leviathans tend to spawn in biomes with a maximum depth below the 100-meter mark, with steep (45-degree-or-more) cliffs being a regular thing. Bone sharks spawn in different biomes, but they have the same criteria: 100-meter-plus maximum depth, with steep cliffs all over.
In addition, the Reapers spawn in the Crash Zone, Dunes, and Mountain biomes. Bone Sharks prefer to stay to the Mushroom Forests, Koosh Zone, and the Floating Islands.
Every Reaper biome shares at least one border with a Bone Shark biome, and vice versa. Mushroom Forests are adjacent to the Crash Zone and the Dunes. The Koosh Zone is right next to the Crash Zone. The Floating Islands biome (not Floater Isle, the northern one) shares a border with the Mountains.
Generally, when a species splits into two, the newer ones tend to stay in a fairly close proximity to each other (except when the environment demands otherwise).
And their attack style? They're aggroed, and they begin a charge, mouth open, directly towards their target.

I'd love some feedback on this theory. I'm not sure if this was all intentional or not, but you have to admit, the similarities are just too many to be ignored.

Comments

• Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I dunno, I doubt the two are VERY closely related. The physical similarities are probably examples of parallel evolution. If the two have a common ancestor, it's probably fairly far back. So, inasmuch as the Boneshark and Stalker have a common ancestor.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Something I've learned in even as low-level as college biology is that the preferable evolutionary tree is the one with the least changes. I have no doubt that the link is at least a fair bit back, but they probably evolved as a single species until a split (which happened prior to the growth and extension of the skull protrusions of the Reaper, and the addition of an exoskeleton to the Bone Shark). But the ability for them to have a parallel evolution of the same traits, especially this many, is just not the preferable tree.
  • NevercallmebynameNevercallmebyname Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207155Members
    I think if you each went off and drew up an evolution tree you'd come back with two very similar images. I mean the bone shark is obviously closer related to the Reaper than to the reef back for example.
  • GlyphGryphGlyphGryph USA Join Date: 2015-02-19 Member: 201435Members
    On the other hand, the Reaper has multiple eyes. The chance of an advanced creature of this sort developing a different amount of eyes... that puts any common ancestor way, way, waaaaaay back.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    There's a chilling, vaguely uncanny valley vibe about the Reaper. It looks vaguely human. Its face... and those forward fins which could almost be arms...

... it doesn't want us here.
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    On the other hand, the Reaper has multiple eyes. The chance of an advanced creature of this sort developing a different amount of eyes... that puts any common ancestor way, way, waaaaaay back.

Not particularly. Traits don't evolve together, then get lost. The Reaper would just have to get the four eyes after the split.
    Coranth wrote: »
    There's a chilling, vaguely uncanny valley vibe about the Reaper. It looks vaguely human. Its face... and those forward fins which could almost be arms...

... it doesn't want us here.

I agree. I've noticed that as well, and I even made a comment about it somewhere in the past.
    Also, strong chin.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    edited March 2016
    I'd have thought that the gain/loss of exoskeleton would have happened at a much smaller scale (micro-fauna)
    and that the reaper is probably more closely related to the stalker
    whilst the bone shark is probably more closely related the the sand-shark...

EDIT: those four protrusions on the bone shark - I could easily see those becoming attachment points for muscles and ligaments for the reaper's appendages.
  • Cynical_ScrubCynical_Scrub England Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214540Members
    You just pointed out some very generic criteria. "They got the same teeth" is the stuff I hear on the discovery channel.

No to mention the behavior is probably just a result of temporary coding or lazy coding. The bone sharks will attempt to bite the seamoth, while the reaper will slam it into the floor.
    You just pointed out some very generic criteria. "They got the same teeth" is the stuff I hear on the discovery channel.

Well, if you notice, I went into a lot more detail than "They got the same teeth." Then there's the fin shape, the presence of a ridge... all of which, while they are "generic" criteria, are still rather important. If you talk to an evolutionary biologist in real life, and give them two creatures with this many similarities, no matter how "generic" (still wondering why that matters), they'll start looking into possible background linking the two.
    No to mention the behavior is probably just a result of temporary coding or lazy coding. The bone sharks will attempt to bite the seamoth, while the reaper will slam it into the floor.

Well, if there's one thing that UWE cannot be accused of, it's lazy coding. Granted, more than two creatures have this attack style (though the Stalker being the third and last isn't much more). However, the exact style of these two is very similar. Even the Stalker, the only other thing to perform a head-on charge with mouth open (Sand shark doesn't count, it can't close its mouth anyway), will tend to do so from behind, or from a location where it will make it hard to see them until it's too late. The Boneshark and the Reaper ignore any tactics like that, and just go for it.

The SeaMoth? Everything attacks the SeaMoth the same way, with the exception of the Reaper. Ignoring the fact that they're coded AI, and looking at the behavior from a biological perspective, they just don't understand what the SeaMoth is.
    I'd have thought that the gain/loss of exoskeleton would have happened at a much smaller scale (micro-fauna)
    /quote]

That's not impossible (it's also not impossible that I'm wrong, keep that in mind), but it's one difference among only a few. Basically, I'm just theorizing that after the combined evolution, there was a split due to stuff and things, where the Reaper evolved articulated skull protrusions, larger size of all parts, and an extra pair of eyes, while the Bone Shark got its exoskeleton. Evolution of certain parts doesn't occur at specific times, so the exoskeleton is just as capable of happening after a split as the Reaper's forehead thing.

and that the reaper is probably more closely related to the stalker
    whilst the bone shark is probably more closely related the the sand-shark...

I may look into the Reaper/Stalker similarities. It's possible, and actually somewhat probable, that they're all interrelated (every organism on Earth can be traced back to the same original life-form), but I honestly think that the Reaper and the Bone Shark are just too close. They're the two most-similar animals in the game (and no, subspecies such as Peeper and Oculus don't count) at the moment.
    EDIT: those four protrusions on the bone shark - I could easily see those becoming attachment points for muscles and ligaments for the reaper's appendages.

Those protrusions are the things that make me most certain something's going on.
    After the sound, which got me thinking in the first place, I noticed the existence of protrusions on the Sand Shark next. That's what really solidified my idea. The protrusions are the things that make me most certain that I'm at least somewhere in the general vicinity of "on to something."