Weather Conditions - Storms, waves, high wind, lightning, etc.

GlyphGryphGlyphGryph USA Join Date: 2015-02-19 Member: 201435Members
So I didn't find anything mentioning this in the dev log, and no one heard anything about it in general, but cruising around in game there's something very very obviously missing. Something that's core to most ocean-going stories, something that would really bring the whole game to life in a new way.

Storms

Imagine it - you're cruising along the surface in your Seamoth, heading home to your base on the floating island, and then the wind picks up. The waves begin to get a bit taller, and your vehicle is rocked back and forth as you travel. The sky darkens as the clouds move in, and it begins to rain. The waves get bigger, and you're diving through them or jumping off the top of them as you travel. Lightning flashes nearby, and then the downpour begins. You dive into the now dark shallows, darker even than at night with the moons covered by clouds.

As you move through the shallows, the whole ocean, sea life included, seems to be undulating under the motion of the massive waves. Your ship rocks back and forth and you need a steady hand to maintain your course and avoid impacts. Your safer as you move into the Kelp forests, the strands waving wildly. Finally you get to your island base, and you leave your Seamoth in the shallows as you step on to the beach. The wind howls and the rain lashes at you, and you're slowly pushed in one direction as you fight against it and the waves crash on the shore behind you. Looking behind you, you see the waves beginning to carry the Seamoth away - perhaps it would have been wise to invest in an anchor after all, or at least bring it around to the moonpool. You shrug - you'll take the cyclops out to retrieve in the morning. You turn towards your base and push through the downpour to the safe of your structure. Inside, you hear the sound of the rain splattering against the hull, the groaning of the metal as the submerged part of the base is buffeted by the waves. You realize you forgot to reinforce, and head down just in time to repair a breach and add a supporting wall. Satisfied the structure is now sound, you take a brief sit in the observatory to watch as the wind finally calms and the rain begins to clear, the sunlight streaming through the clouds.

Doesn't that sound awesome? That's the sort of experience I really want out of this right now.

Comments

• JYARJYAR USA Join Date: 2015-09-02 Member: 207671Members
    Couldn't had said it better myself.
  • Cyan_ideCyan_ide South Africa Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 209992Members
    Imagine if after collecting and discovering all kinds of things, you come home while this massive storm is about and you leave your Seamoth outside your base and sleep till the storm is over (When they add beds). The next day you notice your Seamoth has been moved by the current from the storm like 100 meters away while you were sleeping. That would add a few interesting scenarios to the game... would be kinda funny too.
  • FlammaRilvaFlammaRilva Taiwan Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214633Members
    Storms will be added for sure!
    That's a critical crisis of onshore life.Since there has no reapers and pressure problems,there must has some crisis.

If you have ever open the localization files,you'll see a story log talking about the onshore life of previous crash event survivers.
    "Ency_IslandsDialog#2" : "Degasi Voice Log #2 - 7 years, 65 days ago",
    "EncyDesc_IslandsDialog#2" : "PAAL: Your life is worth more. I forbid you go out there.

BAT: I stopped needing your permission when the ship you were captaining sunk.

PAAL: You will stop needing my permission the day I cease to be your father!

MAIDA: Say, Chief. Chief.

PAAL: What?

MAIDA: Do you know how to drain those grow beds out there of 40 tons of storm water? Or where we'll find food for three people for the next two weeks?

PAAL: What the hells do YOU suggest?!

MAIDA: I see it like this. What's your boy's life worth to you today, if next week you're gonna be so hungry you start wondering what he tastes like? Let him go cover the plants.

PAAL: Son, go cover the plants.

CPU: Bat Torgaljin is no longer aboard the habitat.

PAAL: Interfere with my family again and when the rescue team arrives I will leave you here.

MAIDA: No rescue coming, Chief. Not in time. And no staying here, neither. You know we have to go deeper.

PAAL: Stay away from my boy.",