Rebalance quartz/glass?

Sabier3Sabier3 Dunedin Join Date: 2016-01-29 Member: 212265Members
Is it just me feeling like collecting quartz to make tons and tons of glass to make 2 or 3 windows is a pain in the butt?

Some other materials are quite well balanced. I don't mind the grind to collect titanium every now and then, or copper or even silver, but quartz is such a pain! To make a single window you need 4 units of quartz, and I don't know about you guys, but I like to have plenty of windows in my bases to be able to look outside at this awesome ocean, but it feels very boring very quickly to have to spend 20 minutes filling up your inventory with quartz just to make 4 or 5 new windows, or corridors...

I think one unit of quartz should give you one unit of glass. Either this, or have some sort of machine that generates quartz once you are advanced enough in the game (I know this has been proposed in the past).

Am I the only one who feels this way?

PS: my problem is not the fact that I can't find quartz. There are huge amounts in some areas. It's the fact that you have to collect TONS of it.

Comments

• LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
    I think that, in the future, they have planned for quarts (along with other minerals like copper and silver and such) to be farmable/mineable (or both). Until then, take a seamoth, slap 4 storage containers on it, empty your inventory, and head to the sparse reef (preferred at night). Should net you a shitload of quarts in a relatively short time
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    this is where the cyclops really comes into it's own.... take the cyclops and a locker-full of titanium and a locker full of water (don't forget your builder tool) to any of the following: sparse reef, floating islands, grand reef, (blood kelp), you'll find fish to eat there, and you can build as many lockers to house as much quartz as you can pick up, you'll probably run out of water before you run out of storage space.

Yes, finding quartz can be something of a grind, and a lot of recipes are quartz heavy..... but I think if they changed it we'd be moaning about a different material.

And I'm concerned at the amount of automated farming this game is letting us do...... infini-farming of power, fine, but now water, food, certain plant materials, and hints for other materials too..... it'll become like minecraft where all you do is farm stuff because it's easier than going out and looking for it.
    they need to simply make it regrow in the wild, same as the fishes, and add a way to replant plants in their native biomes.
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    I'm pretty happy with the actual amount of quartz. Think about your resources and, for me, plan some farming explorations is a great part of the gameplay in Subnautica. That could be better with a second player :p

The safe shallows hold so many quartz and I've seen a great amount of them around floater Islands.
    So to me the actual situation about basic materials is on a good way.
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    edited March 2016
    they need to simply make it regrow in the wild, same as the fishes, and add a way to replant plants in their native biomes.

I agree for fishes, maybe a top module to fit on a large aquarium who will release some fishes when it comes full.
    (But that's an other discution. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/139953/food-for-thought-ecosystem-concerns/p1 )

For minerals I think this is a good thing they are a finite resource. The "small" World of Subnautica have plenty of hidden caves, Even in the safe shallows sometimes I find an entrance to a small cave with quartz and copper in it.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I used to think that there sometimes didn't feel like there was enough quartz.

Then I found the Sparse Reef. There's PLENTY of quartz there.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    A few months back the struggle for quartz was real but then as the map got updated they added alot of quartz so i dont think glass recipe needs to be changed personally either. Quartz is now almost everywhere, not in every Biomes but in the biomes containing quartz theres tons of them now.

Before geting the moonpool the hunt for quartz goes slowly at first yes, but once u can jam 4 container on the seamoth u can gather about 100 quartz pieces rather easily in several biomes
    1.Safe Shallows
    2.Sparse Reef
    3.Deep Grand Reef
    4.Underwater floating islands
    5.Dunes
    6.Blood Kelp
    7.Crash Site
    8.Grassy Plateaus (not alot but theres some)

There may even be some in other biomes added later in updated future maps too. As i recall there didnt use to be quartz at all in the Grassy Plateaus a few weeks/months back but now theres some. Seriously when i decide to go out and gather quartz i can get 100 pieces in about 10 mins top in the biomes ive listed in the spoiler tab. Thats 50 pieces of glass making 25 windows/glass tubes. You do need a base with serious power to transform all this of course :)
  • MerandixMerandix Netherlands Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210951Members
    I dislike the quartz crystals. I'd much prefer to have to process sand into silica, which then can be processed into glass. Seems more immersive to me.

If that isn't an option, then I'd prefer quartz crystals to become rarer, and have a single quartz crystal yield 4 glass. I'd decrease the metal yields, for example, 2 titanium per scrap metal. I generally swim in titanium with little effort, and have to plan separate glass-expeditions for quartz. It's not hard, but it feels off in terms of balancing.
  • PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    First post here, I started playing Subnautica last week.

Anyway, for the sake of realism I would prefer too sand being used to make glass and quartz for tools, equipment, instruments, etc... However I understand why the developers chose quartz crystals instead, to limit the availability of glass at the start of the game. As an alternative to quartz, perhaps they can add different kinds of sand depending on biome types. For example, the dunes and the safe shallows can be the only place for such quality sand.