More astrological phenomena

Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
By now, everybody knows about the massive planet next to the one the player's on. We also all know about the eclipse that happens sometimes. I love this feature so much that I want the devs to make it even more rare than it already is, to make it seem even more special.

Also, I think it would be cool to add more "space" phenomena such as shooting stars (I know they're meteorites, shut up):

limage-de-la-semaine-une-pluie-de-meteorites-sur-le-sommet-enneige-dun-volcan.jpg

and Aurora Borealis/Australis:

001115_Gaute-Bruvik_www.nordnorge.com_Karlsoey.jpg

But these phenomena have to be rarer still. If you want more phenomena (I love that word), you can comment below.

Comments

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Good ideas, I had some idea of my own that's also in the astronomical section:

Why do we have an ordinary star background? We already have a sun and 2 planetary objects orbiting. But why can't we have a large galactic object near the system, like a nebula
    277px-Hs-2009-25-e-full_jpg.jpg
    being part of the sky at night.

And as this is a strange system there could be real strange auroras or even more strange phenomena. There could be underwater phenomens like the surface auroras created by an inner magnetic flux changing some bioluminescent particles in the water.

Imagine traveling through the dark ILZ and suddenly a field of bioluminescence passes you traveling through the caves until it vanishes in the deep. And that happens periodically. Like those effects in reality

https://youtu.be/uqJbUKEPgXc

Or additionally some transparent creatures, like the pyrosoma

piro8.jpg

luring in the dark that can't be seen, only in light or even only by sending a magnetic pulse that turns them bioluminiscent, like the crabsquid is

210?cb=20150312222001

• Sabier3Sabier3 Dunedin Join Date: 2016-01-29 Member: 212265Members
    A S T R O N O M I C A L !

Sorry, I couldn't refrain myself, being a physicist.

Apart from that little mistake (and when I say little I mean gargantuous) I absolutely agree. I don't think this would be a top 10 priority, as we spend most time underwater, but I imagine it would be super cool to be swimming around, and then notice a sudden green tone in the light, and come up to the surface and discover a massive aurora in the sky. It would be a nice touch.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Sabier3 wrote: »

Sorry, I couldn't refrain myself, being a physicist.

Yeah, sorry about that. I realised it just after I posted the discussion, but decided to leave it like that just for the lolsies.
  • DchicoteDchicote Germany Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204901Members
    Maybe some Meteor impacts and tsunamis. But please, very rar. Maybe every 10 hours of playtime ... so the bases on land takes damage.
  • MerandixMerandix Netherlands Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210951Members
    How is once every 10 hours 'rare'? Once every 1000 hours on average is rare-ish, a catastrophic event that causes damage to your belongings should occur extremely infrequently, and most games should happen without such an event happening. Fixing stuff in games becomes boring VERY quickly. And games should do without chores like that. We have those in real life already.

For the same reason, I'm very concerned with attacks on bases. I fear that will become boring and tedeous VERY quickly. I usually tend to avoid conflict in survival games with a building component, so I don't appreciate it when conflict becomes unavoidable. I don't mind it as long as it is possible to construct a solution. But it has to be an absolute solution. Because I hate the drag of fixing the same crap every hour.

Back on topic, I do love the idea of more astronomical phenomena. Nothing like huge colourful displays of artistic sky, but for example, currently, both object in the night sky track a simple circle as an orbit around the sky. I'd love it if both objects could also move beneath the horizon, actually working out the orbits of this planetary system. Because currently, it's not even clear if we're on a moon, orbiting that large red planet, or if that is a very close moon, or we're in a binary planetary system with a common moon. This would do a LOT for immersion.

Perhaps also generate an occasional meteor. And perhaps work out our system's orbit around it's parent star, and make one or two meteor swarms that occur once every orbit. Perhaps, in the far future, if the game ever becomes sufficiently large (well over 10 km across) we could make the map a scaled down abstraction of the planet, and have it wrap around itself? This could actually be immersion breaking for some people, but I actually like it better than some random endless abyss that marks the 'border' of our map.