Unable to harvest some things with my knife

mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
I started a new game this morning after I heard about the farming update release. I got to the point where I had my seamoth, radiatin suit and other basic equipment, and started to build a small 3 room base at the edge of the cliffs between the kelp forest zone and the grand reef. Anyway, I hadn't found any of the solar panel blueprints yet but did manage to get all the bioreactor fragments so I built 3 of them on the base.

The first time I went to the mushroom forest to get some fungal samples to compost in the bioreactor everything went fine (except that reaper that 'popped' in right next to me, mentioned in another thread). Loaded up the reactors with creepvine and some samples. Few days later I figured I was getting low on supplies and went back to the mushroom forest and tried to harvest the fungal samples again from the mushroom trees. They would never break into bits no matter how much I cut, where I cut, what angle I cut from, etc.

On my way back to base after giving up I stopped in the safe shallows and tried to cut some table coral and had the exact same problem. But I *WAS* able to cut loot off of the COMMON coral big tubes and such. It seemed anything that I had to swing my knife at to harvest that also broke into pieces you needed to pick up, was not working and unable to be broken, but anything you swing your knife at but auto drops the loot direct to your inventory worked fine.

Anyone know of a workaround/fix? I'm at work currently but when I get off in the morning I plan to submit a bug report via the in game submission tool. I guess I'm lucky that near the end of my session this morning I finally found the last solar panel fragment so I can avoid needing to cut the trees if necessary, but I know I'll need table coral for crafting.

Comments

• DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    I have had this bug hit me, too. Saving and reloading fixed it for me.
  • XearoXearo France Join Date: 2015-03-19 Member: 202303Members
    I have this problem too especially with Fungal samples in the Mushroom Forest. But it happened few times for Table coral aswell :/
    Don't really know if it is a common bug but i think it is.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    this bug happens to me also from time to time :
    Dinkelsen wrote: »
    I have had this bug hit me, too. Saving and reloading fixed it for me.

thats the only way i know of fixing this as well

• mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    Saving and reloading does/did fix it. Not sure what causes it but it happens to me in every play session at some point. Always occurs right after harvesting something with my knife as well. Like harvest a ton of creepvine by clicking quickly until inventory full. Then dive down to get 1 piece of table coral to fill that last tiny square or something and it wont work.

I also appear to have gained a 0 durability knife every time it happens and I save/load as well. I keep my original knife then have another one in my inventory with 0 durability, but it actually works and lasts forever. The never ending knife.
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    i've encountered this sort of problem, when goin to the floaters island, found table coral with a deep dark colour but it's impossible to harvest..
  • photon1116photon1116 earth Join Date: 2016-03-08 Member: 214012Members
    edited March 2016
    I've figured it out (at least for Me). I was trying out the "NODAMAGE" console command to get to deeper depths to explore, and didn't turn it off later. It's No Damage to you and Your subs, but ALSO No Damage to plants or animals (or coral or mushrooms, etc.) . So make sure that this command is OFF or 'not true'. Hope this helps some of you :)
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    Yeah that has nothing to do with the knife bug people are having. I've never used that console command (or any at the time I had the issue the first time). Your knife will be working fine as you chop chop chop something, then you move to chop chop chop something else and it wont break coral or anything, but WILL still harvest creepvine. It just doesnt break anything that has an animation to its destruction it seems.