ns2_trinity [prototype]

CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
edited March 2016 in Mapping
I somehow let @Nordic con me into starting his crazy idea for a 4TP map using bits of other maps to see if the layout worked at all. So behold, Trinity.
YrCMvzN.jpg?1

I'll quote him for the description.
This map is a quickly put together prototype of a layout I have been wanting to make for 2 years. Calego was generous enough to put it together for me. At this point, the map is as much his as it is mine.

I decided it would be best to use stitch together other maps into a new one, as that allows much quicker development time. It also gives aliens and easier time as it is not a plain greybox. I hope that by using existing maps, people will learn the map quicker and be able to provide better feedback.

The map is 4 techpoint with 10 resource towers. My goal with this is to artificially extend the early game with the map, having more engagements and slower tech progression. Your initial reaction might be that every spawn is a close spawn, but this should not be a problem. The map looks small, but the time from tech point to techpoint is longer than other maps.

I'll be making tweaks to this map and starting a greybox with the same layout to make it officially our own if it's received well. But here's the place to holler if you've got feedback (yell at @Nordic if you hate the idea, I'm just the contractor ;), and a pretty novice one at that )

Some Details:
- Each of the Outer TPs are random spawns for both teams.
- Other than the entrances, I've only barely modified a few of the existing rooms (I moved the power nodes in a few and added some obstructions in others, obviously the vents are different.

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    its an interesting layout and since i already know the rooms i can visualize it quite well
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2016
    @ObliviousSight 's ns2_grendel is a similar concept, triangle-with-TP-in-the-middle map, though that one has a few extra lanes as well. Looking forward to seeing how this one plays out!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    I know of grendel. I was pleased someone was doing a similar layout to what I wanted to do. BeigeAlert also said it was similar to what he was trying to do with hotdogs.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    What we learned today:
    - Aliens are quite strong here if they succeed in getting a gorge tunnel to the unoccupied TP, and since there's no ways for a marine team to cut off a new gorge, this is extremely likely.
    - This makes it extremely difficult for marines to accomplish any harrasment, as they will need to fight their way through two of the three connecting rooms (one, two or three), as well as go through mid.
    - Compared to Aliens, it takes longer for marines to get places and do things, particularly, it's more difficult for marines to hold their RTs than it is for aliens to attack them.
    - Relocating Marines to Mid is not a good idea, especially if aliens have a gorge tunnel to the other TP.
    - Putting early stock in mid doesn't really gain a team anything. aliens can harass a bit more easily but simultaneously can be harassed easier. Without gates Marines have a lot of trouble pushing.
    - Gorges don't fit in the Agri-Atmo vent (oops).
    - Mid is very easy to contest for Marines and Aliens, which is as we intended.
    - One, Two, and Three are also difficult to hold. Might be too alien sided (complaints were made about light levels and ambushing ease).

Recommendations from today.
    - Try Moving RTs closer to their respective tech points, or else pulling them closer to eachother (i.e. making each One Two and Three effectively a Double res node)
    - Rename "One" "Two" and "Three" to "Base" "Main" and "Start".
    - Rename Atmo to "Beacon".

What we didn't see today:
    - No phase gates in a One Two or Three room.
    - Sentries (probably are negated by the vents, but might work in the alien natural closest to the marine base)
    - Jetpacks or Exos.

Potential Ideas:
    Making extra hallways that bypass Mid, enabling Marines to harrass Res easier. Problems are that this will simultaneously make it more difficult for marines to lane block effectively.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Calego wrote: »

What? No! "Base under attack! No, the other one!" Don't do it. D:
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited March 2016

Same for "main"... "2 skulks in main" *Comm beacons* "wait no, NOT THAT MAIN!"

And "beacon" as a room name... now that would be fun... "incoming beacon" *Comm beacons* "no, not beacon... BEACON!"

I get the feeling someone may be trolling with recommendations here :P
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kasharic wrote: »

Same for "main"... "2 skulks in main" *Comm beacons* "wait no, NOT THAT MAIN!"

And "beacon" as a room name... now that would be fun... "incoming beacon" *Comm beacons* "no, not beacon... BEACON!"

I get the feeling someone may be trolling with recommendations here :P

I'm pretty sure he was joking.
    - Relocating Marines to Mid is not a good idea, especially if aliens have a gorge tunnel to the other TP.

I wouldn't say it like that. I'm sure relocations can be very powerful if aliens don't get a tunnel up/marines manage to kill aliens' early tunnel/marines are well coordinated.
    Beige had a 'Base' location in Temple, these aren't matters to joke about. :P
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    call them pipe-line, pipe-works and pipe-something
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2016
    Mephilles wrote: »
    call them pipe-line, pipe-works and pipe-something

Ah Yes that was the other suggestion. Pipes, Pipeline, and Pipeworks. Someone also noted that we're missing an "Overlook"

Note that we'll be changing the map name to ns2_troll with these modifications.
    /s
    We're not going to change the names, don't worry.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter

I wouldn't say it like that. I'm sure relocations can be very powerful if aliens don't get a tunnel up/marines manage to kill aliens' early tunnel/marines are well coordinated.

From the center TP the way you have to go to the RTs are way too long, aliens can easily run around the circle and kill all marine res. Relocation isn't very useful on this map imo.
    edited March 2016
    Someone also noted that we're missing an "Overlook"[/spoiler]

That was me. You gotta have an overlook. (Also Skylights, Access, Generator, Hangar, Junction, and some form of Control.)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue