Farming acid mushrooms is SUPER dangerous

AshkaelAshkael USA Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213106Members
I don't know if everyone gets this, but when I try to knife an acid mushroom in a growbed, the whole lot of them just explode in my face. I wound up losing about eight mushrooms worth of spores and nearly died. My theory is that a single harvested mushroom damages the nearby ones, and a second harvested mushroom just sets off a chain reaction that destroys all of them. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it's definitely frustrating.

Comments

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Even better, knowing about the explosion I harvested some seeds getting the explosion and then left to do other things. I didn't look back though and hadn't realized how close the explosion was to my base. So after healing myself I went to explore the world ...

Then somewhere in the depths, far away from my base, I suddenly saw my base somewhat in a light blue shining far beyond normal vision range. I first thought "Wow the devs must have changed the vision mode, I never thought to see my base glowing from this far away."

However when I returned to the base I soon saw what has happened. The shiny blue display was the flood level display from my base that you can see from the outside. Inside my base the water had flooded my base to the top and I had no clue where to search for the breach until I realized it could be the acid explosion.

So acid mushroom farming is a little tricky. Don't place a growbed full of acid mushrooms and surely not near the base hull.
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    the first time I knifed a mushroom to see if it gave me spores I died. :( Now what I do is I pick every other one, then knife the loner. So if you have a bed of 6 of them for example:

oo
    oo <-- pick these two by hand, then carefully knife the rest.
    oo

Try to stay the MAX distance you can from them but still hit with the knife, and try to keep any mushrooms next to the one you are knifing also at max distance you can as sometimes it chain reacts and sometimes it doesnt.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Note if you want to get samples/seeds pick them one at a time and then go some place away from other mushrooms and drop it, then go ahead and cut it with the knife. Never a good idea to do it in the vicinity of other mushrooms.
  • AshkaelAshkael USA Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213106Members
    Note if you want to get samples/seeds pick them one at a time and then go some place away from other mushrooms and drop it, then go ahead and cut it with the knife. Never a good idea to do it in the vicinity of other mushrooms.

I didn't know you could knife them after picking them up. That's awesome!
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Yeah dropped acid mushrooms will sometimes reattach to surrounding terrain ;)
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    Even better, knowing about the explosion I harvested some seeds getting the explosion and then left to do other things. I didn't look back though and hadn't realized how close the explosion was to my base. So after healing myself I went to explore the world ...

Then somewhere in the depths, far away from my base, I suddenly saw my base somewhat in a light blue shining far beyond normal vision range. I first thought "Wow the devs must have changed the vision mode, I never thought to see my base glowing from this far away."

However when I returned to the base I soon saw what has happened. The shiny blue display was the flood level display from my base that you can see from the outside. Inside my base the water had flooded my base to the top and I had no clue where to search for the breach until I realized it could be the acid explosion.

So acid mushroom farming is a little tricky. Don't place a growbed full of acid mushrooms and surely not near the base hull.

This is.... A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!! It's always WAY cool when someone provides an idea to add more fun to the game.... Build your base, plant acid mushrooms everywhere, then set them off and watch your base go B-O-O-M! :)

^^ This is what many of have learned... plant the Acid Mushrooms by themselves so you don't trigger a chain reaction when you knife them.

Honestly, though, they are just so doggone plentiful in the starting area that I don't farm them there. By the time I'm building bases in far away locales, I've usually gathered such an insane number of batteries/power cells from the Aurora that I usually have more spares than I know what do do with.

Though, I did farm them once when my start area was particularly desolate. But 9 starts out of 10, it seems like they are everywhere I look.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    If I'm not mistaken the same thing goes for deep shrooms

I always use acid mushrooms as ammo they pack a serious punch against predators ;)