Blogtacular Crunchie (or: the state of Community Contribution) - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited November 2015 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBlogtacular Crunchie (or: the state of Community Contribution) - Natural Selection 2

Hello fellow skulks and marines, I wanted to go into further detail on what will happen in regards to the current CDT structure and the process of community contribution that...

Read the full story here

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Bumpity bump comments
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    does this mean that UWE can pay Faultline games for their contribution of NS:2 combat back into ns2.exe? :]]]]
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Exciting times ahead. I've wanted to create and contribute assets, but I've put off learning how to rig, skin, and animate for so long. I wanted to learn ever since I saw Evil_Ice's mind-blowing LMG model, but my research has been pretty confusing. IK, FK, biped, CAT... someone please shoot me or point me in the right direction for NS2 animations. :D

Something I wanted to mention is the lack of centralized modding info. Are there any plans to create a comprehensive resource (e.g. NS2 wiki page) for beginners concerning custom models, animations, etc.? The NS2 modding forums could use some updated stickies as well. As far as existing tutorials, I've watched two on importing static props into Spark and I assume they still apply today. Did Brian Cummings ever create those video tutorials for importing custom animations? What is the solution/alternative that McGlaspie and BeigeAlert have been working on and is it still in the works?
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2015
    Thank you BeigeAlert for being so upfront about these things =)

Will be nice to have fbx support and even .blend.

Do you think you could work on an improved guide and sample model in .dae/.blend/.fbx with working animations that allows us to go through the steps with you to create an animation graph?

I suppose view models will be alot harder though because of rigging, so maybe we'll get some rigging profiles support?

I am actually working on assets as we speak.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Y-y-you're so upfront, Beige-senpai ,;, __ ,;,
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    The manual will include everything one needs to know about getting animations into the game. In the meantime, have a look at the animation_graphs for some of the assets in the game. I recommend the props/refinery/reviner_tram_reapirarm.animation_graph. That's actually quite a beast of a graph, most people don't notice that that arm stops moving when the power goes out in the room. :)
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    This worked out well.