New Biome: Grand Rapids

ilGetUSomDayilGetUSomDay asdf Join Date: 2016-02-27 Member: 213517Members
edited February 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
I thought of this over the weekend. What if there was a cool grand canyon like biome with a large current through it like an underwater rapid? Ocean currents are a real thing. I was thinking 200m-600m. The rapids would have nooks where you could park your seamoth without it moving, but other wise if anything (cyclops, seamoth, you) sit in the open of it the current moves the object down stream. There could be chunks of rock suspended by floaters also going down stream making it semi hazardous. The rapids could terminate at a delta region where life flourishes.

Comments

• LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Sounds awesome, i want it :) Should be an easy way to get out of the strong dangerous current like swimming upwards into more open areas, otherwise would maybe be more annoying than cool, gotta be careful with things like these :P
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    latest?cb=20150906230117

From the looks of things, that was being planned at some point. Not sure if it stuck or not.

For those who can't tell, the name is Super Jet Streams, and the notes are as follows: "A network of super fast currents that can send you or your sub to unknown places, or directly damage you from debris"
  • KerbalKerbal In orbit around Jool Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213834Members
    Maybe the current could push you into a danger zone, full of sea emperors?
  • CrypervillaCrypervilla US Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213026Members
    The delta region should be a different biome, with tons of life, like a safe... abyss? Also, maybe it should have caves leading to the lost river ( it being the end of the rapids ). Maybe have a specific type of animal that swims along the current, like a salmon. Maybe have a filtration based organism, like clams or somethin. I'm gonna think of more ideas for this, as it sounds REEEEEAAALLY cool.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Why is the lost river called river - maybe because they plan to add strong currents there?

Anyways, I hope they bring in this

latest?cb=20150906230117

into the lost river and inactive lava zone biomes.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    Why is the lost river called river - maybe because they plan to add strong currents there?

Because it looks like a river of a thicker liquid pooling in channels underwater, so it gives the appearance of a river while underwater.
  • KerbalKerbal In orbit around Jool Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213834Members
    Perhaps the delta should be a cave area like the deep grand reef? and the cyclops takes damage from hits in the biome no matter the depth?
  • artfulmonster34artfulmonster34 Chicoutimi Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213033Members
    no not full of sea emperors i remind you that it is smaller than the cyclops but will be bigger in future versions