Blue hole "base jumping"

Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
Don't know if this has ever been posted here but thought a few might enjoy it...and also be freaked out at the same time by the thought of it :tongue:

Ocean "base jumping" at Dean's blue hole with just one breath and no gear at the world's deepest known salt water sink hole at 202 metres. If exploring the deep dark ocean and caves in Subnautica gets the nerves fluttering then this will properly give you the heebie jeebies!

- Hyp3rion

Comments

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    LOL I remember this being in the news...

Fact the guy never dived that deep, you can't dive that deep on one breath. Also the ones who filmed that said they never dived in the hole, only to the edge of it on an outcrop. They never would have been able to do it in reality. Just pointing this out for those who might get confused and think this was done in actuality and think it's even possible.
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    edited March 2016
    It does appear if you pay attention that he stops on a ledge part way down (camera stays just close enough to crop out the edge of the ledge he stops on that you just glimpse on the previous downward view) rather that the actual bottom proper but I couldnt be bothered researching how much was real and how much "film magic" through editing. I do know some people through training can hold their breath long enough though (4-5min) under water to do what he did ;)

Either way it's still a feat and something I couldn't do nor would have the nerve to free fall into those murky depths even as far as he did.

- Hyp3rion
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    max depth someone has gone on one breath is around 160 meters. That video was exactly what you said a lot of film magic nothing more nothing less. Think the deepest the guy went was around 20 meters down which is where that ledge was, don't quote me on that though I can't remember how far it was but it wasn't very deep.
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    edited March 2016
    Sucks to find something awe-inspiring only to find out they're just pulling the wool over your eyes... :s