Performance

2»

Comments

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Trump for president

"You can't even see past 30fps," - Donald Drumpf
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    guys, can we talk about NS2s declining performance please
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Golden wrote: »
    xDragon wrote: »
    Your eye can't see past 30 fps anyways.

But the games must produce that 30fps consistently. Otherwise your eyes notice stuttering on-screen. If your PC can consistently produce 60fps or more, THEN you will perceive a smooth flow of visuals.

Could it be... he was JOKING?!?!?!?!!?!??!?!?

Nah.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    guys, can we talk about NS2s declining performance please

What is there to say. The only other thing to do is to do a plog. Here are some instructions.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    .Please type p_logall in the console and then after you've captured the low fps (and back to high fps once again) type p_endlog.
    You'll find the *.plog file in the same place as your log.txt : %appdata%/Natural selection 2/
    ... please zip up the file and link it here or PM @McGlaspie or myself.
    Thanks!
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    edited March 2016
    Original poster needs to stop complaining, the lizardmen Illuminati won't let you see more than 24 fps anyway with their constant vape trails.

Edit: I mean, yeah, what do you want to really dicuss here? The developers added a lot of new lighting and particle effects, did you think this would somehow magically increase your FPS? That's not how rendering works man.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Sgt_Sass wrote: »
    Original poster needs to stop complaining, the lizardmen Illuminati won't let you see more than 24 fps anyway with their constant vape trails.

Edit: I mean, yeah, what do you want to really dicuss here? The developers added a lot of new lighting and particle effects, did you think this would somehow magically increase your FPS? That's not how rendering works man.

All the same the OP does have a valid point about losing a fair chunk of performance over the past few patches. If that trend continues we'll be back to what things were before the CDT came around and cleaned house. Might have to do with the Skins taking more RAM, might have to do with the Atmosphere lighting performing more checks than it needs to, might have to do with some completely unrelated thing.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Sgt_Sass wrote: »

The decrease in performance started happening before the new lights, and of course it makes no sense to pretend a performance downgrade is fine.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Performance is fine b o y s. Just switch to 640 x 480 like me. No issues here!
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You can definitely see more than 30fps with eyes...
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yea it's 30fps PER eye noobs.
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    @Mendasp Didn't say it was fine. But what is there to discuss? The relevant data has been posted already. Send it to the devs and hope they fix.
  • AbsurdonAbsurdon Germany Join Date: 2015-02-09 Member: 201274Members
    edited March 2016
    ok rly wierd: have dropped ~50 fps now but only on marine side not on alien. wth is goin on? o0 switching to d3d9 will even it out so both sides lose the fps instead of only 1

my specs:
    i7 4770 @ 3.6GHz
    GTX980Ti
    16GB RAM DDR3-1333 dunno the timings

running everything on low/off except the multithreading and physx gpu acceleration with D3D11 renderer, texures on medium (changed from high but no influence)

edit: tried with multithreading off -> no difference
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Nordic was right, if you want more of a productive discussion out of this topic we need better data. Follow the instructions he quoted.

Something that is more useful data than graphs is performance log (plog) of a some benchmark you run between versions / builds.
    A benchmark I prefer to use : Run a loop as fast as you can around kodiak after typing the "scenload xl" and p_logall commands in the console.

• Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited March 2016
    How is the community supposed to know what build the decrease in performance happened? Also, they might not have access to the build that caused the issue/change. I would think benchmarks would have to be run by people that have access the the build it started from and the one before that. I would think this thread was made for someone to hopefully look into it. The people that can.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    Deck_ wrote: »
    How is the community supposed to know what build the decrease in performance happened?
    Does not matter. You can just run the plog to get more data for this build.

Again, here are the instructions.
    .Please type p_logall in the console and then after you've captured the low fps (and back to high fps once again) type p_endlog.
    You'll find the *.plog file in the same place as your log.txt : %appdata%/Natural selection 2/
    ... please zip up the file and link it here or PM @McGlaspie or myself.
    Thanks!

• Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    ... fix perf
    @Nordic was right, if you want more of a productive discussion out of this topic we need better data. Follow the instructions he quoted.

Something that is more useful data than graphs is performance log (plog) of a some benchmark you run between versions / builds.
    A benchmark I prefer to use : Run a loop as fast as you can around kodiak after typing the "scenload xl" and p_logall commands in the console.

I would gladly send you comparative logs if you get the performance back to where it was 3 months ago... I don't have plogs lying around from builds that worked.
    Why can't someone who has access the old builds run performance tests and see if there is an issue/change that is causing it? It seems like multiple people are seeing a problem.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Deck_ We can, but hardware/software differ wildly and something that may hurt your FPS largely may only minimally impact my own - especially if we're talking a variance of 14 fps..

All I am saying is: If you're going to keep benchmarks around from previous versions, do so with plogs so we can actually analyze the data with more scrutiny :)
    edited March 2016
    ^ sounds good. But in the meantime, it would be nice if someone that has access to those builds could look into this issue. It would not be fun to lose fps going forward just because someone didn't look into what change caused the fps drop for people. I know it can differ, but a couple people with access to the builds could look into it and it might be very clear what caused the change.

We aren't dealing with a game like csgo where everyone is getting a ton of fps. This game maxes out at 200 and it's very difficult to reach that. Also, it's an extremely fast moving game with very fluctuating FPS changes. If anything, I can't think of a game where FPS changes impact you more than this game. FPS changes of 15, 20, 30 - really matter in NS2. We aren't talking about the difference between 300 fps and 315. I'm glad threads like this are made as any decreases in FPS have to be looked at or you could lose what caused it going forward.
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    For those with Nvidia, the latest drivers 361 seems to have lower FPS and 0.5sec random freezes. Revert back to 35x something.