What is you favorite biome to build a base in

IcewaveIcewave Canada Join Date: 2015-11-02 Member: 208906Members
I cant have over ten choices please comment below if I missed you favorite
I missed: Mountains, Dunes and safe shallows

NOTE: I did not add the lava biome because it is not fully implemented same goes with the lost river i will make a new poll for that later
EDIT: Please "agree" or "awesome" if you want me to make polls weekly-ish (periodically)

Comments

• Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    There's a spot I like to build a base in in my stable files... So, from the starting point of the shallows, if you head west, over the Kelp Forest, you'll come across a stretch of grassy plateaus. Keep going and you'll find a mesa rising up to form into more safe shallows. I like to build on the edge of that mesa, so I can just swim upwards for shallows material, or outwards for other materials.
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    I found a new spot (new to me that is, I just started playing a few weeks ago) that I like to make my sort of main base. Its on the border of the grand reef and the kelp forest, As you are heading out sort of towards floater island, right around the corner from the sparse reef. If you are going towards the island across the kelp zone right at the edge when it starts to change there is a deep crevice and if you zoom down through it opens up into the grand reef and as you continue your down angled decent following the sea floor and slightly angle to your right there are some black smokers. At this point you are right about 200m or so. Its a great spot to build your first main base when you dont have much in the way of upgrades or gear, as you are right near your seamoths limits, but have enough grand reef ledges and floor around you to hunt stuff, and the black smokers make great thermal energy sources for when you get the fragments for it. It's also just a short ride back up the ridge line to get into the kelp forest, grassy plateau, the crash site at the rear of the aurora, and of course the safe shallows. Far enough from the center that if you make your second base at the opposite side where the kelp meets up with the mushroom forest and the edge of underwater islands, you have quick easy access to most things you need to survive.

Keep in mind like I said, I just started playing and I'm playing survival with no console use or anything as I know it will ruin the game for me. I have not managed to get to the point of base making in the cool deep places like the shroom caves yet, but I think a blood kelp mini base and the shroom caves or other deep cave system would be also cool.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Safe shallows, cause im boring.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I've gotta try building in some new places now that they've fixed the ambient light thing.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Blood kelp and jelly mushroom caves. Both are so eerie and such beautiful places, and I like watching the shockers and crab snakes.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited February 2016
    Particularly the Kelp Forest bordering the Grand Reef. There's a towering rock formation that makes a great spot for a Solar Farm, a lava geyser nearby in the safe shallows, and no Stalkers around to harass you... a pleasant little area to settle your base in.
  • LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
    The underwater islands, just pick one of the largest, and roach a base over it. Network of glass tubes oover the surface, and reinforced tubes and chambers tunneling through the island itself
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    I have 2 main bases.
    First is in the Grand Reef, I have a huge network of power relays and looks like a spiders web.
    Second is in the Safe Shallows, only because it makes building above water a ton easier and still have water access.
  • HrondirHrondir US Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213715Members
    With out a doubt the Grand Reef. Mostly just because I think it's the prettiest biome, but also because I found a spot that has immense strategic value. Now that the farming update is out I like building a grow lab in one of the mushroom forests, in the spot I built my very first base at. I also like to build a xenozoology lab (aquariums) in the underwater islands.
  • IcewaveIcewave Canada Join Date: 2015-11-02 Member: 208906Members
    oh I forgot, please "agree" or "awesome" if you want me to make polls weekly-ish
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    I actually built my base in the safe shallows... and then use the cyclops as a roaming base. (yes, I'm still using my old save-game from when we could put solar panels on the cyclops)
  • ErgossErgoss KY Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213722Members
    My favorite spot in an earlier survival game was grand reef right near the big arch with the hole into the deep grand reef. I started by centering a vertical corridor in the hole and building upward from there, putting a moon pool at <200M to accommodate unmodded seamoths and a bank of solar panels. The huge elevator shaft takes you all the way down, with occasional stops for observatories. I hope the haze in the new water doesn't mess up the view too much.
  • ErgossErgoss KY Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213722Members
    Update: I finally managed to load up my city-in-a-can (cyclops with 68 lockers, more than half filled with titanium and another dozen with glass/quartz), and when I got to my previous spot, the water changes had decimated the view - now too dark and hazy. :'(
  • ilGetUSomDayilGetUSomDay asdf Join Date: 2016-02-27 Member: 213517Members
    If you look in the sea base showcase thread I have a mushroom forest base that is in my opinion the greatest spot in the game. It is north of the safe shallows, at the edge between the Koosh zone and the Mushroom forest. You can see the 2nd kosh zone wreck from the base, which it is in the largest tree at the edge of a big cliff. The view is amazing in all directions.
  • ROBOCOPMAXROBOCOPMAX Frechen, DE Join Date: 2015-12-29 Member: 210544Members
    edited March 2016
    I build my base at the border of safe shallows, creepvine forest, and grassy plateaus.
    It has a central position that allows me to travel anywhere in the same ammount of time, I'm safe while repairing or restructuring it, and I can get quickly to my fish-farm.