Revert Changes

nelserunelseru va Join Date: 2016-02-25 Member: 213441Members
Silicone needs to go back to being quarts and plant sead clusters need to go back to being not hudge inventory blocks

Comments

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Do you have evidence to back up these "needs"? Yes requiring seeds is harder to get than requiring quartz, and taking up more inventory space makes it harder to gather in bulk. But harder != worse.
  • Dracon1023Dracon1023 Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212724Members
    edited February 2016
    Actually, it helps balance out how an excessive amount of quartz that was used before in almost any item. It is more balanced resource-use distribution this way.

Edit: I meant that the way it is at the moment is balanced. Sorry about my ambiguous statements above.
  • ThryanThryan Italy Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208543Members
    I personally think it's better How it is at the moment too
  • nelserunelseru va Join Date: 2016-02-25 Member: 213441Members
    Balnece means nothing its a plant you dont get silicone form a plant you get it form sand
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    nelseru wrote: »
    Balnece means nothing its a plant you dont get silicone form a plant you get it form sand

the game doesn't take place in today's age, it's taking place 2 centuries in the future. The assembler is pretty much a matter assembler/replicator from star trek. Whether it matters or not or doesn't make sense to you the devs have given a way to have endless amount of rubber. You can plant those seeds now and get even more of them from the creepvines you grow and the creepvine seeds you get from these grow back after time making them an unlimited resource now.
  • Dracon1023Dracon1023 Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212724Members

Modern rubber is actually made from tree sap. It isn't far-fetched to think that a plant on a different planet might have the same capabilities. If the word "silicone" in the name of the item "silicone rubber" bothers you that much than you could ask the devs to rename the item just "rubber".
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Dracon1023 wrote: »

Modern rubber is actually made from tree sap. It isn't far-fetched to think that a plant on a different planet might have the same capabilities. If the word "silicone" in the name of the item "silicone rubber" bothers you that much than you could ask the devs to rename the item just "rubber".

This. Plus, it's alien biology - the seeds could have silicon in them.
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members

the game doesn't take place in today's age, it's taking place 2 centuries in the future. The assembler is pretty much a matter assembler/replicator from star trek. Whether it matters or not or doesn't make sense to you the devs have given a way to have endless amount of rubber. You can plant those seeds now and get even more of them from the creepvines you grow and the creepvine seeds you get from these grow back after time making them an unlimited resource now.

Yeah, this change only hampers the player early-game. After one has a base and an exterior planter setup, one can be swimming in silicon rubber. A limitless supply.

I was at first kinda bothered by the changes. But overall, it's a great change for gameplay. It accomplishes three things pretty handily.
    1. It requires the player to venter out of the Safe Shallows pretty early on. (if you want swim fins, that is)
    2. It moves a required resource away from needing Quartz, so Quartz isn't a bottleneck for both glass and silicon rubber.
    3. It makes silicon rubber a renewable resource, which is something that can only improve the longevity of any single world-save.
  • PenguinPersonPenguinPerson US of A Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213598Members
    Even with quarts only having like 2 uses now I still find myself suffering incredible shortages of it. I like that there is now more use for the creeper eggs though the inventory size plus amount needed per recipe makes collecting em an irritation.

I say keep it the way it is as I prefer lack of inventory to having to travel half the world collecting only quarts just to build a fish tank.