Homage to Constellation?

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
I was thinking, constellation was an old way for people to support @Flayra and the old ways of NS development.

Now UWE is a company, the donation system has shut down, but I had an idea for the new store - Constellation shoulder patch.

Of course this should be given free to constellation icon owners.... :D

But it should also be available in the NS2 store to purchase, as an homage to the original constellation and NS. A new way to donate so to speak. A patch would be fairly simple to make I would assume, as you have the forum icon etc to base it off.

Anyway, just an idea, a way for an old icon to be restored.

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not to be all 'hurr my exclusives!!1' but you can easily buy shoulder patches in the store now, whats the differentiating factor that wouldn't dilute the sanctity of constellation?

On the term of constellation though, UWE could definitely do something to try to bring back their older dedicated community members. Even if it's just an exclusive shoulder patch, or a free pack of ns1 inspired nostalgia skins.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Im a bit confused why we aint happy with having our own constellation icon in ns2.
    We should be glad they ported it over.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Im a bit confused why we aint happy with having our own constellation icon in ns2.
    We should be glad they ported it over.

Before shoulder decals were a thing, some of us constellation members actually requested shoulder icons for ns2 replied with "it's not a priority", everyone ignored that, actually if i remember correctly i was the first one to request it back in the day for features.

I am happy they ported it over, but would be nice to get the option to put it on the shoulder :p wouldn't be too hard.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    The patch shoulder is one texture containing all the patches aligned in one single column. Right now 10 of them make an 512x4096 image.
    Converted to low quality JPG from the original file
    9xfto3038dup.jpg

The shader is receiving an id that helps it locate the shoulder patch. It use a simple x512 multiplication to change the Y (as in X/Y coordinates). EX: '2' would make the engine use the 512x512 image box located at 0/1024

The thing is you can't make a custom patch. It has to be official...

I discussed that with @SamusDroid several months ago. It was somewhat ok at the time.

The questions that remained were :
    • what is the limit for the image until problems related to Engine / memory (it's all but saving memory) / GPU max texture size, etc... show ?
    • How about customization and custom patches ? So the modders can deliver full re-texturing or add to their map/skin/model packs...
    • How about useless (or becoming useless) patches like team patches (5 of them) ?

I believe it's not a priority...
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    We are happy with our Constellation icon.

@remi was asking for suggestions for future store items, so I came up with this idea.

I was hoping it could be brought back as maybe part of a constellation pack or something, NS1retro skins could be cool, or other stuff with a hint of the past about it.

The sanctity of constellation would be kept in the forum icon and the scoreboard icons, which would not be sold.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    All I want is to be able to only have my constellation icon. I hate hat I'm forced to have 3 at once.. Such an easy fix.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Calego wrote: »
    I think in the interest of avoiding "Well if the Black Armor is 'exclusive' why isn't <something> exclusive too?" arguments, from here out only new things should be implemented into the market.
    Agreed.
    A constellation shoulder patch would be cool for all those members though.
    You flipped so quick. :D

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    remi wrote: »
    I think in the interest of avoiding "Well if the Black Armor is 'exclusive' why isn't <something> exclusive too?" arguments, from here out only new things should be implemented into the market.
    Agreed.

Nono. A non-marketable Shoulder Patch. Just something for them, but wasn't put on the market.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    remi wrote: »
    Agreed.

Nono. A non-marketable Shoulder Patch. Just something for them, but wasn't put on the market.

If this does happen, and if it's like a 'welcome back' thing or whatever for consties', it should probably wait until some of the bigger changes planned gets implemented.

Such as the new main menu, hive status alien hud, ns1 hivesight, and other things that would overall improve their chances of liking ns2.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Don't need nothing more than that original icon, which I'm pretty attached to since 2003.
    Hi constellation buddies, howdy ? Gettin old huh ? :p
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    We need options to have only 1 badgeeeeeeeee plleeeeeeease. I don't use mine only cause i have to have 3
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wake wrote: »
    Hi constellation buddies, howdy ? Gettin old huh ? :p

Older than the Sun....

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    It's the big four oh this year. Definitely feeling old even if people keep telling me I'm not :P
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like it the way it is for constellation. It's so rare, that people often ask where I got my scoreboard icon. Shoulder decals I don't care too much about.