Our good old friend the Moonpool

The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
So, I've been looking more into ways to improve existing features instead of adding new ones, and one fact really popped out at me. The Moonpool has a total of six attachment points. It can have a total of one upgrade.

I'm thinking maybe it would make sense to have five. That way you can have one of the six points connecting to the base, and then one directed to each of the moonpool-specific modules. Currently, we have the Seamoth Upgrade Console. Maybe that could be split two objects, one to make SeaMoth upgrade modules, and one to customize the name and appearance.

Then three more modules can be added.

One idea I have for one is an automatic repair station. I don't know about you, but I've always hated having to dive into the water to repair the Moth. I think it would make sense to have a module in the MoonPool that automatically repairs it using power from your base (rather than a battery), or at the very least make it possible to repair it whilst in the docking bay. A pair of Welder tools could be used in the recipe for the automatic repair arm thing, as well as some Titanium for the arms themselves, and an advanced wiring kit to work the whole thing.

Maybe the SeaMoth upgrade module maker thing could be further split into "upgrade" and "module" makers. The upgrades would be for passive effects, such as depth tolerance, hull hardening, and so on. The modules would be active items, like the torpedoes, active defense system, sonar, all that good stuff. That way the SeaMoth could be customized even further.

And finally, I think an extractor would make a lot of sense. I'm going to post another topic on automation after this one, and I think it would be nice to have a machine in the MoonPool to extract items from the cargo bays of the Moth and place them into lockers automatically.

As always, constructive feedback is appreciated. Let me know what you think. Is the MoonPool fine how it is, or should we make it a bit more useful?

Comments

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I like your thinking, although not all the specific points.

I don't see any need for there to be 5 different add-ons, and I also don't see the need to separate the upgrades from the color/name feature, or active vs passive upgrades.

I DO like the repair idea. Further, it's annoying that you cannot repair the seamoth with the welder while it's docked.

I like the extractor idea, but I'm more interested in having that feature aboard the cyclops... again, it's a pain to have to deploy the seamoth into the water, and then go outside and empty the cargo pods manually. It would be way better to either empty them automatically, or at least have some sort of direct access to them from inside the cyclops. And again, the ability to repair while in the cyclops.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    I like your thinking, although not all the specific points.

I would certainly hope that would be the case. Thinking for yourself is good for you.
    I don't see any need for there to be 5 different add-ons, and I also don't see the need to separate the upgrades from the color/name feature, or active vs passive upgrades.

Agreed, I admit I overdid it here. I was trying to think of how to fill up the walls, and I think I subconsciously just wanted them split to fill a quota.
    I DO like the repair idea. Further, it's annoying that you cannot repair the seamoth with the welder while it's docked.

To be perfectly honest, if they ignore all of the other ideas I proposed in this thread, I hope they take that into consideration. Sometimes you don't want to drop the SeaMoth out into the open world, especially if you live in the Kelp Forest. Many times, I've been welding away, and a Stalker snuck up and bit my head off.
    I like the extractor idea, but I'm more interested in having that feature aboard the cyclops... again, it's a pain to have to deploy the seamoth into the water, and then go outside and empty the cargo pods manually. It would be way better to either empty them automatically, or at least have some sort of direct access to them from inside the cyclops. And again, the ability to repair while in the cyclops.

Yeah, I hate it when I have to dump the Moth just to get what's already inside the Cyclops into the Cyclops. Some type of extractor module built into the ceiling of the Cyclops docking bay, with access from the wall between that area and the engine room, would be amazing. Add in an optional module for the MoonPool, and you no longer have to dump your fragile little Moth out into the wide world just to get your stuff.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    You can repair the seamoth docked in the moonpool with the welder.

And maybe the moonpool can also hold the exosuit. Then there will be an exosuit upgrade console.

That's enough for me and probably most others. Some might like two connections to the moonpool, others want it windowed.

A third option could be a moonpool upgrade console:
    • Homing beacon
    • Autorepair module
    • Autocharge module
    • Constructor module
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    You can repair the seamoth docked in the moonpool with the welder.

Can you? Because I've never been able to get it to work. I have the welder equipped, but it doesn't show the welding %... just says "enter seamoth".
    The_Shark wrote: »
    I was trying to think of how to fill up the walls

I usually just put in some windows, or use the extra panels for structural reinforcements.
    Add in an optional module for the MoonPool, and you no longer have to dump your fragile little Moth out into the wide world just to get your stuff.

At least in the moonpool you can just walk up to the seamoth lockers and access them.
  • Zamar037Zamar037 BC, Canada Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213178Members
    Can you? Because I've never been able to get it to work. I have the welder equipped, but it doesn't show the welding %... just says "enter seamoth".
    There is a spot for welding just below where the modules go

• Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Zamar037 wrote: »

That seems a bit counterintuitive that there's only one tiny spot that you can weld the Seamoth in.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    I was trying to think of how to fill up the walls

Same here, to be honest. Which one depends on what area I'm on (not much purpose for windows when you'd just be looking at a wall). I just figured it might help to increase the usefulness even more.
    Add in an optional module for the MoonPool, and you no longer have to dump your fragile little Moth out into the wide world just to get your stuff.

At least in the moonpool you can just walk up to the seamoth lockers and access them.

Exactly. I meant to say an optional module for the Cyclops, because there, you can't. I was typing fast, must have skimmed over that little error.
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    Zamar037 wrote: »

That seems a bit counterintuitive that there's only one tiny spot that you can weld the Seamoth in.

Exactly. Make it the whole thing, to make it possible to find out that that's a thing without someone having to tell you. That spot must be REALLY tiny, because I have looked all over the SeaMoth while trying to repair it, and I've never seen it. Or better yet, as I said, an automated repair module. I don't like using batteries, I'd prefer base power.
  • Madgamer13Madgamer13 United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-02-25 Member: 213445Members
    You can repair the Seamoth in the Moon Pool if you weld the spot underneath the upgrade panel. This tiny spot becomes the size of the Seamoth inventory section's model if you install the submarine's inventory upgrade. This is how I've always repaired the seamoth when I docked it in my moon pool.

I do support an automated module upgrade for the moon pool that allows repair of the docked seamoth without your intervention.