Modular Sub building with Dry Dock

knightsofraknightsofra Kent,WA Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213168Members
I want to be able to design and build my own sub like I can for a base. Add a sub dry dock that I can find the blueprints for, then build my own design with modular sub pieces, weapon pods, lights, etc. It would turn this game up to 11.

Comments

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited February 2016
    I doubt this will ever see the light of day.

1. the amount of work they would have to put into making the models and the texture work is a lot of hours.
    2. modular system just doesn't work for this game when it comes to ships/vehicles/submersibles.
    3. again the amount of work to put this into the game would delay the games main release, cost of resources to allocate this type of project would not be a good thing for the game.
    4. resource hit to the game would be massive, make a huge submersible and likewise the game gets impacted. More memory and cpu use as well as a general drop in FPS.

plain and simple of it is that a modular sub building system for the game just doesn't fit in well. If this was a part of the base view of the game from the start then yeah it'd be fine because they've planned on it and are set and ready to take a project on.
  • Mr_Rieper7Mr_Rieper7 South Africa Join Date: 2015-11-16 Member: 209299Members
    While I doubt they will do modular subs by launch, I think I remember reading a trello card about looking into it.
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    Could work but by the time it would be released the game would be in 1.9.0 by then and the game would have been released over a year ago :/
  • MerandixMerandix Netherlands Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210951Members
    @Requiemfang It doesn't work? Good heavens. Look at seabases and tell me again modular doesn't work with this game <.<

I agree with your assessment that it would take a lot of devtime, and we're not going to see this before release; but I do hope on a slightly toned down version of 'modular subs', namely with internal modules. For example, additions for the engine room (extra power-cell holders, installable nuclear reactor, bioreactor etc., making the seamoth bay optional instead of standard (okay, that is fairly big) and providing us with a mapping room that can be optionally installed, and perhaps the possibility to add windows or reïnforcements or a water filtration machine.

It will take a lot of work to rework the current Clyclops, but I do agree that more modularity would be a good thing (though I don't think making them fully 'diy' as the start topic suggested is even long-term realistic).
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    I don't think this will happen, simply because it would take too much work to make it not screw the game's FPS if you made a sub of any decent size. Even now, if you run a low-end system, just looking at the Cyclops damages the FPS pretty badly. In addition to the render issues, this would also tax the simulation a LOT, as it would be a non-static collision mesh, which is far slower than a static collision mesh (which every object in the game uses)
    Merandix wrote: »
    @Requiemfang It doesn't work? Good heavens. Look at seabases and tell me again modular doesn't work with this game <.<
    The difference is that the bases are static. And even then, make a base large enough, and you can find it with the lag aura alone.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    I don't think this will happen, simply because it would take too much work to make it not screw the game's FPS if you made a sub of any decent size. Even now, if you run a low-end system, just looking at the Cyclops damages the FPS pretty badly. In addition to the render issues, this would also tax the simulation a LOT, as it would be a non-static collision mesh, which is far slower than a static collision mesh (which every object in the game uses)
    Merandix wrote: »
    The difference is that the bases are static. And even then, make a base large enough, and you can find it with the lag aura alone.

this...
  • MerandixMerandix Netherlands Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210951Members
    Uhm, LeakingAmps and Requiemfang... would you please reread my post, a bit BEYOND the bit you quoted? Because I actually agree with you guys on the technical and programming time standpoint.

Yet, with 'it doesn't work for this game' it is implied it doesn't work gameplay wise, and that has clearly been proven otherwise by bases. I do agree on the technical and dev-time issues you present, but saying 'it doesn't work in this game' is slightly different from 'it doesn't FUNCTION in this game because huge modular subs would cause FPS issues'. The way I worded it was meant to heavily lean on the gameplay aspects of the concept 'working'. But I guess that wasn't clear from the sentence by itself.

From a technical standpoint, having a semi-modular cyclops (like described in my previous post, not one you design yourself completely as suggested by this topic) shouldn't cause any FPS issues at all. And I'd love the Cyclops (as in the current cyclops we use) to have modular components we can switch out, for example, place windows... or even have the whole Seamoth bay as an optional and buildable 'builder'-upgrade... or perhaps different types of propulsion systems (bioreactor or even nuclear reactor). Things like that would make the Cyclops more modular, more personal, and yet still keep the Cyclops we all know.