Tundra Update Released - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• WebtranceWebtrance US Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189165Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My Shadow gorge is going for $56.20 and Shadow Lerk is $29.90. Maybe I should sell 'em. lol
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    @Remi. Complete marine and alien skin packs for shadow, tundra, kodiak.

More specifically:
    Tundra and Kodiak Axe
    Tundra and Kodiak Welder
    Tundra and Kodiak Pistol
    Kodiak Shotgun
    Tundra and Kodiak Grenade Launcher
    Tundra and Kodiak Flamethrower
    Kodiak gorge
    Kodiak Lerk
    Kodiak and shadow Fade
    Kodiak and shadow Onos
    (Yes I know shadow fade and onos are coming)

Another skin for all aliens based on the shadow models. I am sure rantology could make something really cool.

Another marine skin pack with everything included would be cool. A reaper theme maybe?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »
    @Remi. Complete marine and alien skin packs for shadow, tundra, kodiak.

More specifically:
    Tundra and Kodiak Axe
    Tundra and Kodiak Welder
    Tundra and Kodiak Pistol
    Tundra and Kodiak Grenade Launcher
    Tundra and Kodiak Flamethrower
    Kodiak gorge
    Kodiak Lerk
    Kodiak and shadow Fade
    Kodiak and shadow Onos
    (Yes I know shadow fade and onos are coming)

Another skin for all aliens based on the shadow models. I am sure rantology could make something really cool.

Don't forget the Kodiak Shotgun too.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    @remi, not sure if I need your for this. But since we're blaming you now :tongue:

How does the new texture system work... Is everything going to be slapped into one big DDS file now, just had a looksee at the new files and it seems similar to how Kodiak stuff was done. Won't that get messy, instead of separate DDS files for each skin?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    At some point it might be worth looking into making these weapon/alien skin sets into collections like cs:go has and having them drop in specific maps with different worn-out qualities and rarity chances. Tundra could work for Summit and obviously Kodiak for Kodiak, eclipse could run with a black/gold set like marine start and mineshaft could use a rustic reddish brown.

It would give more draw to the market at least. Also it might get lesser played maps to be played more.

Special skins would be excluded from this of course.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you are going to use special skins to get certain maps played more, do it for maps that don't get played like mineshaft instead of summit.
    If you are going to use special skins to get certain maps played more, do it for maps that don't get played like mineshaft instead of summit.

I brought up summit because tundra = snow, summit has snow therefor summit = tundra. Plus I already brought up mineshaft but I guess you skimmed it again.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2016
    I feel like the Black Armor model could be re-skinned too (to not be black), but I'm not sure if that steps over that same line. It would be great to get more use out of these models, and I'm sure rant could come up with some good skins to make them look entirely different. Reusing the models would help us get a lot more mileage out of them (and the associated memory cost).

Kouji_San wrote: »
    How does the new texture system work... Is everything going to be slapped into one big DDS file now, just had a looksee at the new files and it seems similar to how Kodiak stuff was done. Won't that get messy, instead of separate DDS files for each skin?
    Yeah, if we keep making more items we're going to need to revisit how this all operates. I've already mentioned about the memory issues, but authoring the content is also a bit difficult currently because its using an atlased texture. These are just aspects where we will need to dedicate some time to investigate solutions.

I believe in the short term we are more likely to do smaller scope customization stuff (colored visors, alien scars) rather than full model re-skins.
    edited February 2016
    I read all of what you said, and I know you brought up mineshaft. My point is that we should not encourage people to play popular maps like summit but less popular maps like mineshaft, kodiak, eclipse, derelict, etc. The rusted gun idea you had is cool.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2016
    What about nail polish on skulk claws? :)
    image4.jpg
    I read all of what you said, and I know you brought up mineshaft. My point is that we should not encourage people to play popular maps like summit but less popular maps like mineshaft, kodiak, eclipse, derelict, etc. The rusted gun idea you had is cool.

Well it should be for all maps and not just the few least played, sure you could release them in order from least played to most played in an attempt to get more people to play them that way, but each official map or maps with a similar theme should have their own separate drops. Ideally, on map releases from now you would have the map and a special set of skins you can get while playing on said map.

Like https://csgostash.com/collection/The+Dust+2+Collection
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    remi wrote: »
    image4.jpg

I'd still like to see bionic limbs for marines.
    edited February 2016
    How about we let rantology pick the skins. I think she has better taste. Better yet, let us vote on them like with tundra.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    At some point it might be worth looking into making these weapon/alien skin sets into collections like cs:go has and having them drop in specific maps with different worn-out qualities and rarity chances. Tundra could work for Summit and obviously Kodiak for Kodiak, eclipse could run with a black/gold set like marine start and mineshaft could use a rustic reddish brown.

It would give more draw to the market at least. Also it might get lesser played maps to be played more.

Special skins would be excluded from this of course.

Hmm, interesting indeed. Maybe expand this idea to mods as well... Now we need more polished mods :D
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2016
    image4.jpg
    rantology wrote: »
    silent turbo skulk:
    XXUR8qm.jpg

When can I buy?
    edited February 2016
    I feel like the Black Armor model could be re-skinned too (to not be black), but I'm not sure if that steps over that same line. It would be great to get more use out of these models, and I'm sure rant could come up with some good skins to make them look entirely different. Reusing the models would help us get a lot more mileage out of them (and the associated memory cost).

If you do make un-black(?) versions of the special edition armor, can the black armor owners get black variations of other armor types. My only request is to be able to have black elite assault armor since I paid for both special edition and shadow tier skins.

Which would be untradable/unmarketable of course.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited February 2016

OH MY GOD YES CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tram, Summit, and Veil are literally played at least 5 times more than any other map. On any given day the map rotation will look something like this..

Tram, Docking, Summit, Veil, Tram, Descent, Summit, Tram, Veil, Refinery, Tram, Summit, Veil, Eclipse, Summit, Tram, Veil, Summit, extend Summit, Tram, etc...

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF MY SANITY!!! Don't ever make anything that will in ANY way cause Tram, Summit, or Veil to be played more!!
  • _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members
    edited February 2016
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I'd still like to see bionic limbs for marines.

Not quite bionic limbs, but I saw this floating around. Would make a badass skin (if it ever got finished...)

aplmL5b.jpg?1
    1NPbWfm.jpg?1

*EDIT*

Speaking of katana's, also found a wip of Rantology's sword concept:

EavNjr1.jpg?1
    zK4b9P4.jpg?1
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    Does anyone remember that mod for NS1 which replaced your knife with a katana? :)

@remi - Better than that scatter has several mods, including some we worked on together with katana's in.

As a point, the katana used came from @Sewlek Factions ns2 mod. Not sure on the original mod you are referring to :D
  • SamG2020SamG2020 Bristol UK | Vancouver Canada Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209449Members
    There are a few things I'd love to see for some new variety in the look of the game.
    • Flamethrower with blue flame.
    • Structure variations depending on commander at round start or at time of structure placement.
    • Cyst + maybe infestation colour variations?
    • More tundra! I really like the tundra colouring, especially on the rifle. But I'd love to see this style on the pistol as well.
    • Mine colour variations.
    • Rusty rifle. Then we can call the random rifle jam bug a feature!
    • (Reaper) Leviathan skulk skin.
    One thing I would like to be sure of is that no DLC breaks the theme of the game. Santa hats, purple bile bomb, gorge heart heal spray, etc should not be official.
    One thing I would like to be sure of is that no DLC breaks the theme of the game. Santa hats, purple bile bomb, gorge heart heal spray, etc should not be official.

Purple skullks (Shadow) are ok, but bile isn't? ;)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Got to agree with 90% of your post @Nordic, but Shadow Bile bomb would be pretty cool...
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    edited February 2016
    These are all very good skin ideas!
    And @remi while you're at it ask @Kouji_San if the upcomming "primal fade" could be used?

Also imagen a rusty and torn deluxe armour!
    Also some previous mod skin items like the black deluxe armour would be great for old supporters!
    And if you add knifes/katana's/ns1 rifles.
    Make sure they also have the kodiak/tundra skins!!
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    As a point, the katana used came from Sewlek's Factions ns2 mod. Not sure on the original mod you are referring to :D

There was a skin for Natural Selection 1 back in the day, which was a katana replacement for the ns1 knife. It's pretty self expanatory but notable features of at least the Black/gold version was the gold Frontiersman logo on the hilt.

RGOveWQm.jpg

https://web.archive.org/web/20041217055133/http://www.nsarmslab.com/flash/fileinfo.php?id=210 Closest version to it I can find.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Oooh, progress bar to next hive level, cool - people do tend to like feed back on their achievements, thank you for this addition.

Gorges, fades, and onos look purplish? Why not skulks?

So why not purple bile bomb? Because at least how I imagine it, it looks silly and does not fit the game. Make it real and show it too me then.
    edited February 2016

Gorges, fades, and onos look purplish? Why not skulks?

So why not purple bile bomb? Because at least how I imagine it, it looks silly and does not fit the game. Make it real and show it too me then.
    I really want to make hot pink bile bomb just to troll you, now. :)

"See Nordic? It fits in perfectly with the aesthetics!"
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    +1 to "Classic" Skins

aka - Skins that look like NS1 models, for all us nostalgic folks. (i.e NS1 Heavy Armor w/ HMG as an Exo Skin)

Also, map based awards sound like a great way to encourage map diversity. Simple things like a shoulder badge, scoreboard icon, or rifle/skulk skins based on the maps would be great.

MINESHAFT IS BEST MAP except for crusher area
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Pistol, welder/axe skins.

@Cr4zyb4st4rd @remi

How about some of these pistol and axe skins ? :D

Or maybe alternate weapon skins like this one for Ice's knife model? #nsgo