Multiplayer mode coming soon?

ScoreburgerScoreburger Canada Join Date: 2016-02-08 Member: 212780Members
God forgive me, this has probably already been asked and answered twenty million times.

So, is there a multiplayer mode coming around soon? Maybe not soon, but eventually?

Feel free to link me to another thread to save yourselves from the demon that is me.

Comments

• TribeofoneTribeofone Eagle River Alaska Join Date: 2015-08-22 Member: 207365Members
    I hope in the future they do but for now no.
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    From what I've heard, if it happens at all, it won't be until after the game is released because they will have to rework the entire game to support it and that would set development back by many months.
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
  • lunatictrentonlunatictrenton Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211825Members
    would be pretty cool, could build an awesome base with friends. :D
  • ZetlinZetlin Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212463Members
    This has to be the literal most-asked question about subnautica ever
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited February 2016
    Zetlin wrote: »
    This has to be the literal most-asked question about subnautica ever

Most definitely yes. Of course, that also raises one very obvious observation ... when the same subject comes back on as regularly as this one, it may be due to the fact that its a very good one. Multiplayer COULD ( i say could and not would) yes could possibly make this game 10 times better, if well made /implemented, that it already is now. It could also very well kill it completely.

If youve played games alike diablo 2/3 theres the option to play a single player game and the ability to join friend's private games and/or stranger's open game, which would be imo the best compromise there can be. Of course, all the multiplayer side of this needs support from the company that made it, which raises the question does UWE want to get involved in that? Thats my personal opinion, i could be right or wrong.

Long story short, this question has been asked zillion times up until now and will certainly be asked zillion times again in the future ...
  • TangentOdysseyTangentOdyssey R'lyeh Join Date: 2016-02-10 Member: 212860Members
    I've said this in other forums, but I tend to side with UWE's current stance on this. Atmosphere/ambiance/immerson, whatever you want to call it, is a massive component of what makes Subnautica special, and part of that, to me, is the feeling of being completely alone and isolated on an aquatic alien planet.

At times, I've felt that sense of isolation creep in - when I'm suspended amidst bioluminescent life forms five hundred meters below the surface, and the first, chilling notes of the soundtrack cue in amidst the bubbling of the O2 tanks and muffled ambience, I feel something that's hard to describe - but I recognize it as something that few games have been able to achieve, even among so-called 'immersive' titles.

This is what's at stake when people talk about adding multiplayer/co-op. Subnautica is a work of art, and in my humble opinion, it is meant to be consumed and played with the same kind of reverence. The second another human enters the picture, the one thing that sets Subnautica apart from other titles begins to buckle, and threatens to plummet headlong down the slide towards mediocrity.

In closing, I think UWE is making the right call in waiting this one out. If some form of multiplayer is added at some point in the future, I sincerely hope it will be very limited (as in one-three other players at most; I saw someone suggest 40-player maps with teams and weapons and had to double check to make sure I was still on the right forum).

Just my two cents on the matter.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited February 2016
    I've said this in other forums, but I tend to side with UWE's current stance on this. Atmosphere/ambiance/immerson, whatever you want to call it, is a massive component of what makes Subnautica special, and part of that, to me, is the feeling of being completely alone and isolated on an aquatic alien planet.

At times, I've felt that sense of isolation creep in - when I'm suspended amidst bioluminescent life forms five hundred meters below the surface, and the first, chilling notes of the soundtrack cue in amidst the bubbling of the O2 tanks and muffled ambience, I feel something that's hard to describe - but I recognize it as something that few games have been able to achieve, even among so-called 'immersive' titles.

This is what's at stake when people talk about adding multiplayer/co-op. Subnautica is a work of art, and in my humble opinion, it is meant to be consumed and played with the same kind of reverence. The second another human enters the picture, the one thing that sets Subnautica apart from other titles begins to buckle, and threatens to plummet headlong down the slide towards mediocrity.

In closing, I think UWE is making the right call in waiting this one out. If some form of multiplayer is added at some point in the future, I sincerely hope it will be very limited (as in one-three other players at most; I saw someone suggest 40-player maps with teams and weapons and had to double check to make sure I was still on the right forum).

Just my two cents on the matter.

I feel ya there, i have also experienced very intense feelings while explroing the dark corners of Subnautica :D but i have one question tho : Why does most people think that if there was a Multiplayer option to this game, single player games wouldnt be accessible anymore? You want to continue to experience all those moments alone in your game then simply play singleplayer mode :p Multiplayer options would only be for those who would like to interact with friends/others. This is why i said that a mechanics like diablo's would fit the best of the 2 worlds in together nicely :)

Of course, we could discuss this to our heart's content, if the devs decide to leave this game to singleplayer only, then thats that :) heh

• ZetlinZetlin Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212463Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    I feel ya there, i have also experienced very intense feelings while explroing the dark corners of Subnautica :D but i have one question tho : Why does most people think that if there was a Multiplayer option to this game, single player games wouldnt be accessible anymore? You want to continue to experience all those moments alone in your game then simply play singleplayer mode :p Multiplayer options would only be for those who would like to interact with friends/others. This is why i said that a mechanics like diablo's would fit the best of the 2 worlds in together nicely :)

Of course, we could discuss this to our heart's content, if the devs decide to leave this game to singleplayer only, then thats that :) heh

I believe the devs have stated that for multiplayer to happen a huge amount of reworking would have to be done, and certain parts would have to be remade from scratch. For example, the limitation of one stasis field at a time, lag from bases, limited world, only one cyclops energy upgrade, limited fragments, etc. They would have to practically remake the game from the ground up. The way it's going, it's just not optimized for multiplayer.

Also, may god have mercy on the servers with forty sea bases and people with huge aquariums and submarine fleets