Anti-Aliasing?

cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
When will alternative anti-aliasing techniques be implemented and what kind of aa will be used?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    coolitic wrote: »
    When will alternative anti-aliasing techniques be implemented and what kind of aa will be used?

Yeah, good question @coolitic, I mean the stuff that's being used right now is that super low impact silliness called FXAA. And it looks like someone smeared jello on your monitor, it basically blurs the entire image in a subpar attempt to smooth the jaggies, in short: worst AA ever... Keep it for toaster PC's of course! But.......

People keep touting the horn of TAA, the impact it causes with only a slight improvement over MSAA, really makes me wonder if it's worth the FPS loss. I for one would love to see proper MSAA in here :)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Keep it for toaster PC's of course!

Actually the fps impact is still considerable for low-end pc's.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    We are still waiting for SMAA T2X
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2016
    does anyone remember a time where NS2 used to cast shadows perfectly over a weapon? now it's all like that the ambient light and atmospherics toned down the dynamic shadows interact less with the weapon in the correct way? or is that just my GPU

+1 to SMAA gives me best performance for equal looks, though personally i play with everything on low, i do occasionally go FULL for some specific things.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I do wonder, does forcing msaa in nvidiainspector cause problems with the HUD and UI?