Give us giant ocean waves!

Yuni_HermitYuni_Hermit USA Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211439Members
You know what big, deep oceans have that lakes and ponds don't? Gigantic, 30-foot waves that rock big ships nearly to tipping over.

I can't find a good video, but even normal waves on a big ocean are HUGE! The tiny waves we see on the surface of the Subnautica world are pond waves, not ocean tossing.

Yes, I realize that would be difficult to program. Yes, I realize it would only be near the surface, and yes, I realize it might be difficult to deal with, but it is one thing about Subnautica's ocean that doesn't make the sea there feel deep or large. The waves are soooooo tiny~

Comments

• ZetlinZetlin Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212463Members
    A tsunami when the Aurora explodes would be really cool
  • Yuni_HermitYuni_Hermit USA Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211439Members
    I do also admit, meant to say it at first, that this would be highly taxing on the system running it... so maybe make it something in the options. ^^; Just a thought, either way.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    You don't want giant ocean waves. Trust me on this one.

Care to calculate what sort of hull integrity rating you'd need to cope with random pressure increases of 100% or more?
    A single 33-foot (10 metre) wave would load an additional 1 Atm of pressure onto a base or submersible's hull.

Might not work out too well for you if you've skimped on reinforcing materials or hull upgrades.
    edited February 2016
    Well not really. The game only changes pressure at 100 meter intervals. I don't imagine it would change pressure below the surface, because pressure is ONLY calculated on depth to the 0 M mark on the Z axis of the world. Higher waves wouldn't change it at all, and the game calculates at 100 m intervals too.

It's not so much a 'pressure calculation' as a depth calculation. Are you more than 225 meters below the Z axis? Ship crush.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    You need to take into account here the amount of performance impact those kind of waves would have on the game itself. I can't think of a better resource hog than gigantic waves. Huge rolling moving waves that have a physical impact would in my opinion cause quite the performance hit on all but the most expensive machines.
    I know. But it's possible that the thought might give them inspiration on other things to do with the surface. c: I did mention in an above post that it would be taxing on the host computer. Maybe they're only in the distance, or not very common, or a storm can blow in, the dev team is very smart, and I was more sharing ideas.
  • okapiroseokapirose Join Date: 2016-01-14 Member: 211395Members
    edited February 2016
    Yea for a planet that seems to be all water and with a moon THAT close to the surface, there should be some significant waves

But perhaps not ALL the time otherwise that might tax one's graphics and also perhaps if it had impact on one's base, it would be just a constant stream of welding. Maybe once every x amount of days and also a large wave when the Aurora explodes.

Same with weather like storms should be included in some way. The surface is far too safe lol
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    Tidal waves are rather gradual though A tidal bulge is rather gradual though, so you would basically bob up and down with the tidal bulges on either side of the planet. The one in Interstellar is quite questionable to say the least, it looks like some weird combination of a tidal wave bulge and a tsunami, if that's at all possible even...

And wind and atmospheric pressure are the main cause for those waves you want, which is also odd since there is hardly any landmass or even mountains to speak off to cause these low and high pressure areas for wind to start blowing. Maybe on the other side there is some kind of massive landmass. It's not like a gas giant with turbulent pressure density differences though the entire depth of the planet. We seem to be on a very rocky "planet" with a hot core.

But hey it's a game, let's not get all realistic here :D
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Tidal waves are rather gradual though, so you would basically bob up and down with the tidal bulges on either side of the planet. The one in Interstellar is quite questionable to say the least, it looks like some weird combination of a tidal wave and a tsunami, if that's at all possible even...

And wind and atmospheric pressure are the main cause for those waves you want, which is also odd since there is hardly any landmass or even mountains to speak off to cause these low and high pressure areas for wind to start blowing. Maybe on the other side there is some kind of massive landmass. It's not like a gas giant with turbulent pressure density differences though the entire depth of the planet. We seem to be on a very rocky "planet" with a hot core.

erm... just so you know... tidal wave and tsunami are the same thing. Tidal Wave is the non-technical term for what a tsunami is.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    I'd like it too, but I don't know if it would be possible. I think we need the devs to pop their heads in on this one-- though to be honest they've talked about this before so...
    I was not aware they had address it before. =O Note my low post count... I only recently moved from making suggestions via bug reports to making them on the forum.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    They need to add weather =D
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    I was not aware they had address it before. =O Note my low post count... I only recently moved from making suggestions via bug reports to making them on the forum.

I wasn't blaming you for anything, just stating a vague memory
    edited February 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Tidal waves are rather gradual though, so you would basically bob up and down with the tidal bulges on either side of the planet. The one in Interstellar is quite questionable to say the least, it looks like some weird combination of a tidal wave and a tsunami, if that's at all possible even...

erm... just so you know... tidal wave and tsunami are the same thing. Tidal Wave is the non-technical term for what a tsunami is.

Heh oh well, I used the wrong word (similarly looking one at that). However I described it as a tidal bulge further down the post, so that little tidbit shouldn't matter much. If you know what I meant, the word used becomes less important. I'll edit it real quick :)