(Player Concept) Future Updates

ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
Before I begin I want to say GG Devs, Subnautica keeps getting better and better. I'm loving it, but I feel like we can do more. Note that I will be revisiting old discussions but joining them together.

1. Recharging our batteries: Everyone here can probably agree to an extent that we can end up wasting a lot on batteries for our tools and Power Cells, I know the solar upgrade for the seamoth, the swim charge fins, and the moonpool eliminate the need for most of this. Except, if you want a heat blade, smooth usage of the SeaGlide, if you're using the Cyclops, or you don't have a moonpool for the seamoth. I say rechargable batteries could be a good thing to save on resources, and maybe one or two rechargable power cells able to be found in a wreck only. That way it balances the game a bit.
2. Recharge station module: This can be built in a room and charges 2 batteries or 1 power cell at a time. Unlocked Once you build a room. 2 Copper Wires, 1 computer chip, 1 wiring kit, and 4 titanium needed to make it. Not much else to it.
3. Modify the Cyclops as it is: Right now the Cyclops has no real function except as a mobile base, and even then it's not that useful. Plus it always irked me that when we start the game we already have the blueprints for the Cyclops but not the smaller and more useful Seamoth. We should start by having Cyclops Fragments being spread across the map, maybe one in every major biome. Next I think the Cyclops should be a little bit longer, no extra rooms, just lengthen the middle section. Possibly increase the amount of upgrades for this thing to 8 using a method I'll mention below.

Now that I've covered my basic recommendations, let's dive into some cooler gizmos.
1. The Draconis: As mentioned in another thread, this beauty would be an excellent addition to Subnautica, hence why you have concept art of it. For those who are wondering, here's what it looks like. tjzra40z0hfj.jpg If this sub were smaller than the Cyclops and larger than the Seamoth, it could be a stand alone sub like the Seamoth, yet dock in the slightly larger Cyclops. From the look of it the Draconis is supposed to be longer than the Cyclops, but I feel like it would be better to serve as the middle ground between the Cyclops and Seamoth. Upgrades for it would be almost the same as the Seamoth, and the Draconis would require 4 Power Cells to run instead of the Cyclops. I know some people will scream that we already have the Cyclops which is not used as much, why would we want this? Well the Draconis is meant to be used as a high strength defense vehicle. It's not going to have superior speed to the Seamoth, or superior diving skills like the Exosuit or Cyclops, but it will be capable of going toe to toe with the Reaper, Crabsnakes, and other creatures. With a total of 6 maximum upgrade slots available (More explained in #2), this thing could have the following choices for an arsenal: Vortex Torpedoes, Repulsion Cannon mounts, Sonic Defense (Emits a sound to scare off any creatures), a single Propulsion Cannon mount for item retrieval, Gasopod Torpedoes (Do I really need to explain?), and Electrical Defense, this can make calamari out of any creature that comes near you, all while staying in the usual non lethal mantra. To compensate some of these would need to drain a good amount of power from the sub. I say 5% Power per each Repulsion Cannon shot, 7% per use of the Sonic Defense, the torpedoes can work the same as with the Seamoth, and the Propulsion Cannon mount will drain power at half the usual rate. Other upgrades include Solar Power Module, Depth Module (Maximum of 300 Meter Depth Achievable), and a Hover Module (Allows slightly faster travel 1 Meter above the water with harder to control turns. Could require 3 Plasteel Ingots, 2 Enameled Glass, an Advanced Wiring Kit, 2 Lubricant, and a Power Cell to make. Now, how do we charge this thing?
2. The Large Vehicle Docking Port (LVDP): This little addition for your base could be found using fragments in the Underwater Islands or Mountain Biomes, the concept is that it is another section for your base, it connects to any corridor, room, or moonpool. When piloting a large sub like the Cyclops or Draconis and you get within 20 Meters of the port, a screen will appear on the HUD to help guide your sub to the dock. In the Cyclops' case the dock would be on the top of the port, for the Draconis it could be on any of the 3 sides. Inside the base you would see a terminal in the port where you could unlock 4 extra upgrade slots for your large subs. For the Cyclops it would increase it from 4 to 8 (This would require the Cyclops to be docked for a few minutes for the extra upgrade modules to be implemented. The ones implemented at the terminal are not permanent FYI, same as like all the other ways to implement upgrades. As for the Draconis you will start with 2 Upgrade Slots and then can increase it to 6 using this method. Made with 1 Advanced Wiring Kit, 1 Computer Chip, 2 Titanium, 1 Glass, and 1 Lithium.
3. Hibernation Module: This is to satisfy people's desires for a bed in Subnautica, in a Subnautica fashion. Essentially you would climb in when you want to sleep, and you would have a viewport to the outside. You could watch an amazing ocean view as you would be put to sleep for half of a day/night cycle. This could restore 5% of your health while lowering your hunger bar by 5%, and to keep it from being exploited, if you use it too much (Say, over 3 times in a row) you'll lose 20% of health with no gains. Possibly from 6 fragments in the jellyshroom caves since we really don't have a reason to go there. Made with 2 Silicone, 1 Glass, 5 Titanium, 2 Synthetic Fibers, and 1 Advanced Wiring Kit.
4. Command Center Module: This nifty module becomes available after making a seabase that includes a room. With it you can name your base and it'll create a beacon effect so you don't lose it. It will have a holographic map of your base along with anything in a 10 meter radius, this can be expanded with sensor upgrades or modules you attach to the outside. On this map you will see each section of the base, and they will be green, yellow, or red to show where the base is weakest, or as an alternative, where there are leaks in the base if they appear. You'll be able to decide how much power goes to each section of the base to power lights if you end up being able to place them inside, how much power the moonpool can access at one time, how much power other things can access at one time, etc. Finally, you can see on the module how far away your other bases, seamoths, cyclops, escape pod, and other vehicles are, their damage level, biome location, and what depth they're at. Needs 2 Advanced Wiring Kits, 2 Computer Chips, 2 Copper Wire, 1 Silicone Rubber, and 3 Titanium.

I know this is a lot of stuff and that 95% of this stuff probably won't even make it into the game, plus an update of this magnitude would require it to be split into 2 smaller ones (Module Update and Sub 2.0 Update), so it's very unlikely. However, I could be wrong and the devs could be thinking similar concepts. So I ask you, Rookie players, Veterans, Devs, Playtesters, let me know what you think of these. (I know the recipes are probably unbalanced, but that's just a placeholder for my idea) Let's start this discussion off.

(Here are some pics as a reward for getting this far)
cxqwsuvuwelq.jpg
3qs0v23fe2eg.jpg

Comments

• lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    I like your ideas, ChaosKnight, and it seems the Draconis didn't give you peace. Hehe
    But if I had to vote one, I'd choose the recharge station module. That really makes sense.

My own player concep is a PDA Tab to control the players HUD and to choose which beacons (including their text) you wanna see or not. That's important to me! Really ... I have an upcoming blink light aversion that keeps me away from enjoying Subnautica soon. But therefore the Devs must let us show up the PDA inside seamoth first, 'cause jumping out each time just to change the waypoint was unreasonable.

I had lots of ideas but as a pragmatist I'm questioning about their usefulness, especially when it's not clear in which direction the game will go. So what are the probs and what do we need? Know what I mean? I think the better way was to create some impressively needs and requirements first .. before coming with a bunch of upgrades.
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    I like your ideas. Let me respond to them one by one:

1 & 2: YES PLEASE! We can recharge the Seamoth in our base, and it is powered by a power cell, why can't we do it with individual batteries and the like? Heck, instead of charging batteries, have a rack for all our tools, and basically plug them in to charge!
    3. I agree the Cyclops needs modification, but changing the outward appearance would be a TON of work for the devs. They should modify it though, and maybe adding more modules will help...

1. Part of me feels like this was the prototype of the Cyclops...I mean, it is concept art, so... But it would be cool to have another submarine. Now as to it docking into the Cyclops...I don't think that is a good idea. Or practical. I know the Draconis idea has been bounced around the forums, and I hope that one day the devs add another submarine.
    2. Cyclops docking is something I feel like the devs will eventually add. Don't know when, but I think is a natural addition to the game. Now as to the increased upgrades, that might do better to just add them to the current upgrade console.
    3. Instead of placing restrictions, I think they should just add another bar to the HUD, this time sleep. And as you get tired, you get slower, vision gets blurry (but at like 10%). But you can chose how long to sleep (like The Long Dark)), and the longer you sleep, health and stamina (that's what we'll call it) increase. But sleeping more will not increase either of them. Basically when stamina hits 100%, health no longer increases.
    4. Interesting idea. That would definitely change the way bases are run.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    lxh wrote: »
    I like your ideas, ChaosKnight, and it seems the Draconis didn't give you peace. Hehe
    But if I had to vote one, I'd choose the recharge station module. That really makes sense.

My own player concep is a PDA Tab to control the players HUD and to choose which beacons (including their text) you wanna see or not. That's important to me! Really ... I have an upcoming blink light aversion that keeps me away from enjoying Subnautica soon. But therefore the Devs must let us show up the PDA inside seamoth first, 'cause jumping out each time just to change the waypoint was unreasonable.

Yes, that would be great. That way we can keep better track of the beacons, if the devs need an example for that, I'd recommend looking at Minecraft's Reis' Minimap Mod for both a minimap on our HUD in a future update, and for its waypoints which are prime examples. Let me give a little comparison for our beacons currently: Originally they were like Minecraft's Beacons, you could see them, you just didn't know what each one was. Somewhat the same after we could distinguish between Seamoth, Cyclops, Escape Pod, and other beacons, those are like different colored beacons. Now we have the ability to name beacons, these are like the minimap mod's waypoints. All we need now is the ability to choose which beacons we see and we're good.
    R2T9 wrote: »
    I like your ideas. Let me respond to them one by one

Okay, now let me respond to yours.

1&2. Yes, it's just common sense at times.
    3. More modules definitely, maybe upgraded versions of the Seamoth's ones. And I was thinking increase the size of the Cyclops to fit the Draconis in, but it does seem like it's not efficient for them.

1. I do want this sub in over mostly anything else. And having it be separate from both the Cyclops and Seamoth would make it more original.
    2. I suppose so, making changes to the upgrade console would probably be easiest from a developmental standpoint. Plus we could finally get paper doll models for the Cyclops and start adding in more upgrades. Maybe instead of my suggestion, Devs could have it be used for charging the Cyclops and Draconis (If implemented), and upgrading the Seamoth's modules like the workbench for our tools.
    3. I feel like a sleep bar could be a bigger restriction. Plus if you sleep too long it can have negative effects on your body. In truth something like this is for the Devs to decide.
    4. I feel like it would centralize everything so you don't need to search every corner of your base just to find a breach. Or find a break in the power, etc.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    If I remember correctly from some sketches that were done early on with the developers that they had wanted to make the sub that is shown here be bigger than the Cyclops. A sub that's bigger than the CY obviously would make you think that it would be a true mobile base of sorts. I don't know honestly if they plan on adding it now with the supposedly aimed release date suppose to be this year.
  • BenykoBenyko Germany Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211653Members
    What i think about concept for future updates:

When playing i encountered a few things that made me think if they are really ok as they are now:

Like the small and big locker.
    I never had the need to build a small one as i could just farm a bit more and build a larger one...
    (The lockers should use more resources to build them as they are very easy to craft).

Another thing i would like to see in future updates would be weather conditions affecting the gameplay.
    Like the water temperature or harsh water from storms (water is always the same. for now).

And don't forget the player is in outter space on a planet so why not from time to time meteors crushing down into the water to
    bring some new materials ?? would be really awesome to just stand there at night watching into the sky to see those falling down..
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    edited January 2016
    While the argument can be made that you can never have too many sub types in a game like this, I really think that if we get the Draconis, it should be somewhat larger than the Cyclops and fill the role of a vessel capable of carrying both the Seamoth and the Exosuit at the same time. Almost every role for a vessel smaller than a Cyclops will be able to be filled either by a properly configured Seamoth, or Exosuit.
  • MistressAthenaMistressAthena USA Join Date: 2016-01-30 Member: 212328Members
    Looks to me like the Draconis would instead be the largest ship, big enough to fit 2 or more Seamoths and an exosuit.

Looks to me like the Draconis could be your deep sea mobile base, while the Cyclops is your more shallow water mobile base. The reason I think this, is that the Draconis has no large windows. This makes it far far more structurally sound for deep high pressure areas.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I agree with the Power Cell wastage. I think that the Power Cells in the Cyclops should be rechargeable; if you travel a lot in the Cyclops the Power Cells last no time at all and you're always having to hunt for the ingredients to make batteries.

I think the Cyclops is a vary useful sub and I love it; but I agree that we shouldn't have the blueprints for it from the start.
    edited January 2016
    I don't think we're going to have to worry about having the clops blueprint in the beginning for much longer since the dev's do plan on having us scan parts of it once they redo the whole scan to blueprint with fragments system. Also as nice as the Draconis looks I would have much preferred this sub, it looks much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and it has a main viewport so you can tell where the heck you are going.

pat-presley-sub03b-lorez.jpg?1427823255

edit: made it so the pic can be viewed on this page instead of having to open a link
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    I don't think we're going to have to worry about having the clops blueprint in the beginning for much longer since the dev's do plan on having us scan parts of it once they redo the whole scan to blueprint with fragments system. Also as nice as the Draconis looks I would have much preferred this sub, it looks much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and it has a main viewport so you can tell where the heck you are going.

edit: made it so the pic can be viewed on this page instead of having to open a link

This is the Cyclops though, or at least a concept art of it
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    @ChaosKnight626 -
    recharging station - hell yes please! though I think it shouldn't recharge batteries or power cells, but items, and should have a single 3x3 grid, so you have to choose what to charge (or build lots of recharge stations)
    docking point - hell yes please!
    Cyclops - leave it alone! I use that thing more than I use the seamoth! (coz I turn it into a mobile resource acquisition base)
    Draconis - this game is about dodging the big predators (I thought?), so why do we need a military sub until we get multi-player?, if you do introduce it, I presume it's got 2 easily accessible upgrade points, and the other 4 would be like the 'clops' +4 that you're proposing?
    Hibernation module - just let you set how long you want to sleep for in units of day/night cycles - so 1 cycle lasts 24 hrs, and heals you 20% health, but drops 20% hunger (and also 20% hydration?)
    Command module - I feel like this should be an internal room object (like the new large aquaria) that will deploy to a fixed position within a room (perhaps rotatable) and pretty much prevents you from putting anything else in that room, possibly it should block off the sideways exits (maybe 1 gap?) from the room it's in, so you either have to use ladders or a basic in-out system, I also think the windows on this room should be enamelled glass, and correspondingly require different materials.
    Also the command module - thoroughly agree on allowing us to see distances. I'd also like to be able to then view the beacons in a map, but just as points, allowing us to 'map' the region ourselves ingame using LOTS of beacons. Beacons should still not show distances once out of the CC
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    edited January 2016

This is the Cyclops though, or at least a concept art of it

ehhh... from the size of it with the person you see inside that is far to large to be a cyclops even if it was at one point labeled as. That thing is roughly what I imagine the third type of sub was going to be around which I believe is what the Draconis is or was suppose to be.

if you need a size analogy here's the concept of the current clops

pat-presley-sn-cyclops.jpg?1418761088

now compared the size of the person inside that image to the ship pic I posted earlier.

That's quite the size difference.
  • lunatictrentonlunatictrenton Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211825Members
    can't wait till they add the rechargeable batteries. I wasn't able to get a cyclops made before they removed the ability to put solar panels on the cyclops.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    @lunatictrenton I'm so glad I build the cyclops VERY early on - literally get fins, knife, constructor, base, get vehicle thingy, seamoth, cyclops, then start worrying about pretty much everything else... but now you've gotta get upgrades, I'm thinking I might well go off the cyclops.....