Keeping Things Together

eXntrceXntrc Join Date: 2016-01-29 Member: 212271Members
I'm new to Subnautica and I understand that one of the early goals one should have is probably to build a base. However, I started by creating a couple floating storage containers, a vehicle builder and a Seamoth. Now all of those things keep floating away from each other and I find myself wasting time trying to locate them and push them back together.

From all of my reading, it doesn't look like there's any sort of anchor or grapple or towing system in the game. So does that just mean that I'm going to always be chasing my equipment that keeps floating away until I build a base?

Would the gravsphere do much to help me out here or should I just give in and get to building a base?

Thanks!

Comments

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    eXntrc wrote: »
    I'm new to Subnautica and I understand that one of the early goals one should have is probably to build a base. However, I started by creating a couple floating storage containers, a vehicle builder and a Seamoth. Now all of those things keep floating away from each other and I find myself wasting time trying to locate them and push them back together.

Since the floating cubes tends to float away i find them useless and simple dig a ''storage hole'' in the sand directly under the lifepod. Not only does it do the job outstandingly but if u need more space to store sheeeet all u need to do is dig a bigger hole :D Personally, ive never seen any stuff dissapearing from my storage holes so thats what i always do early game.

If youre somewhat lucky, the small storage bench in your lifepod will contain either a silver/computer chip to make the habitat builder, allowing you to create a base almost instantly for putting lockers/wall lockers in there.

eXntrc wrote: »
    From all of my reading, it doesn't look like there's any sort of anchor or grapple or towing system in the game. So does that just mean that I'm going to always be chasing my equipment that keeps floating away until I build a base?

Would the gravsphere do much to help me out here or should I just give in and get to building a base?

Thanks!

In my own experience, my Seamoth always stays right where i leave it, never budging an inch by itself. Plus, eventually while playing youll come across the Moonpool, which allows you to dock your seamoth in (the bigger Cyclops sub also allows you to dock it in). As for the Mobile Vehicle Bay, since it floats on the water, i guess its possible for it to drift away. Ive never seen it leave the side of the lifepod personally, but if that happens to you, you can always pick it up after youre done builing your Seamoth/Cyclops.

Ive never tested the gravsphere to keeps stuff near it. its possible it works.
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    Just build a base. It's easier.
  • eXntrceXntrc Join Date: 2016-01-29 Member: 212271Members
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Especially thanks to you Rainstorm for the long thoughtful answer. I never thought about the "storage hole" before, LOL, but that's a great idea! We'll get to building a base soon.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    youre very welcome eXnrtc =D always happy to help others with fun facts!
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    I used to use the storage cubes, but took a long trip and they disappeared, never again. Yeah, use the storage panel inside the lifepod and try not to pick up more than you need until you've got a base and cabinet
  • JaggSauceJaggSauce Denmark Join Date: 2016-01-30 Member: 212349Members
    use those sand-storage holes while you can... i heard the devs are planning to remove the terraformer along with the ability to dig in the sand.
    JaggSauce wrote: »
    use those sand-storage holes while you can... i heard the devs are planning to remove the terraformer along with the ability to dig in the sand.

I knew about the terraformer but they also plan to remove the ability to dig sand? well soot and pooh! where do you hold that from? Trello?
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    @JaggSauce - please cite your reference! at least vaguely (I'm not expecting proper harvard referencing)
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    https://trello.com/c/VGGb7PyK/20-remove-terraformer

No news, but currently it is scheduled for February farming update.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    If youre somewhat lucky, the small storage bench in your lifepod will contain either a silver/computer chip to make the habitat builder, allowing you to create a base almost instantly for putting lockers/wall lockers in there.

I would echo this but add that you don't need luck, just persistence. You can keep starting new games until you get what you need in the lifepod locker. Also, in addition to the silver and computer you can also sometimes get the builder tool itself.

Failing that, it isn't that hard to get silver straight if you know where to look. The lower left grassy plateau is one spot - the right-most bit where it juts into the safe shallows. Get too far into the plateau and you'll find bleeders but you don't have to go that far in to find silver.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Biomes