OK, you asked for ideas

pickwunpickwun USA Join Date: 2016-01-21 Member: 211757Members
My ideas after about 40hrs of play. They mostly revolve around immersion and balancing risk/reward:
- Thirst and hunger are just too fast, especially since all the sealife is non-renewable. About 30% slower would retain the urgency without the early game being a grind for fish and salt.
- Ores should occur in veins or masses, not random chunks and crystals. For replayability they should have semi-random locations (maybe fixed sites, but the content varies). The trench plowed up by the Aurora is the first place you'd expect to find exposed deposits.
- Undersea thermal features would be a normal locale for concentrations of crystalline quartz, magnetite, lithium and mercury. They would also present serious problems for the diver (temperature, currents, corrosion).
- Large base modules should be mid-game and require much more resources. It's ludicrous that I can build a large windowed undersea habitat module long before I can build a basic battery-powered mini sub.
- The Mobile Vehicle Bay is just goofy. I climb on a tiny floating platform, and tiny levitating orbs rapidly conjure large submersible vehicles IN MID AIR.
- The Builder should be more like a cross between the Mobile Vehicle Bay and the Waterproof Storage. You load it with resources, point it at a spot where you want to build, and go away for a long period of time based on the size/complexity of the thing it's building.
- Now that we have full darkness the day/night cycle is way too fast.
- Since there's distinct day/night there should be a requirement and mechanism for sleep.
- The Still Suit is just a nuisance. It fills up your inventory with bad water you will avoid using, and within a couple more hours of play you'll probably have a water machine running anyway. If it's going to be in the game it should come with the life pod.
- A vehicle with the shape and speed of the Seamoth wouldn't kill fish on impact. Even if it actually hit them, which would be rare, at worst they would be mildly agitated by the encounter. Conversely, I can't imagine that there's a 10cm creature anywhere in the universe that could do measurable damage to a titanium and glass ship by biting it.
- I can scuba dive to immense depths and return immediately to the surface with no ill effects, but if I build a 50m titanium submarine it can only go down to 200m.
- Pipes. I haven't built a pipe since the first 15 minutes of my first game. They're awkward, ugly, unnecessary, and just don't make any sense as implemented.
- If the scanner is going to reclaim material from fragments then it should recover the same components that go into the item in the same proportions. Parts like computer chips or wiring might have a 50% chance of being broken in which case you just get a relevant message.

Comments

• StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    I never have hunger and thirst bars below 50% , it's easy to fill them with a minimum of foresight (ie catching more than one fish at a time)

I find the fast day cycle just fine , it means you don't have to wait forever to have solar pannels start recharging power in your cyclops.

The still suit is early game and fills its purpose , short term self-sufficiency. It's also convenient for long expeditions away from the filtration machine.

I agree that pipes aren't very useful , they should be much longer and only cost one titanium for the little use they have. Oh , and they need some way to be dismantled , preferably with the builder.