ns2_gorgon Update: 2/15

2»

Comments

• FivzFivz Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185072Members
    edited February 2015
    There was a model on the map that didn't have any collision on it. It should be fixed now.

@Woehler
    I could add more vents and props, but I don't think that will solve the issue. I could make the RT rooms bigger to make it feel like a room but then that would just make it more marine friendly.

EDIT:
    Here are some new vent locations that might lessen the issue. I'll most likely add in the Red vents. Not sure about the blue and green ones though.
    HLbnslG.jpg

Update:
    - expanding center hallways into medium sized rooms
    -Doubling the size of RT rooms
    -Adding another vent at top left and bottom right of the map. Not sure about the room though.

Sample Layout:
    NMzU5LK.jpg
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    We played it at the SCC testing just now. Overall sense of frustration with marines was that it took pretty long to reach a lot of RTs. I didn't take any walk times, but the map at least /feels/ too big.

The O-shaped segments outside the southwestern TP annoy me more than a regular U-turn corridor would. Not sure if that's a problem for anyone else, but it doesn't sit well with me. Psychological thing, perhaps I am mad.

There was also a fair bit of aliens biting RTs, and then escaping along a vent to bite another RT as marines haplessly tried to go after them.

Visually, the lighting could do with a tune up. A lot of white or near-white lighting gives the map a washed-out look. One or two pitch-blackspots I ran across that could do with ambient lights to just lift them out of pure darkness.
    The walk times between tp to rt is around 12-15 seconds which is pretty standard. Perhaps the map just feels big because there's too many hallways.

I'm hearing a lot of contradicting points for both marines and aliens. I keep seeing people say that the map is too marine friendly and now it's the other way around? I think that marines has an advantage on this map so hopefully the new layout will even things out.

I do agree that the map is a tad too bright overall. That will be changed with the next update.
  • AlienJuAlienJu Join Date: 2005-04-07 Member: 47732Members
    Area at the bottom of map, (in your latest graphic you have it marked as red, and as you don't have names for the places, and I don't remember...) there are some stairs and marines can get trapped by the side of the stairs.

As com, many of the places on the com screen have the same name, so I was calling out places incorrectly, eg on the left hand side of the map, if I remember correctly there are 3 areas but as the com when I was trying to call out the middle res node area, I was referencing the marine start...

sorry does that make sense? Post a map with the map names and I can be clearer.
    I'm aware of the current issue and I'm finishing up on a mini overhaul at the moment. Should be done within the week. Thanks for the feedback
    New version is out.
    -expanded RT rooms
    -added 4 new rooms
    -lowered overall brightness

Hopefully the map feels less empty compared to the old version.
    HhbFxoT.jpg
    2RgVHSL.jpg
    v7MeVTL.jpg
    RDEO4wP.jpg
    JnSPSzw.jpg
    IWYBo4X.jpg
    xG3Ie0n.jpg
    rcaHqmR.jpg
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Aliens cannot cyst south if they start in the northwest. I suspect the big rock props on the ground are the cause.
    edited February 2015
    The pathing was too thin when I recreated the ai path. Should be fixed now. I also went ahead and cleared more obstructions from the commander camera.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Map is still broken. In the future, please look over your nav mesh before publishing so this doesn't happen. We just wasted two rounds of SCC testing. :(
    edited February 2015
    I was in the test with you guys. I did check to see if I could cyst up into mineral junction as well as every other place when you told me about the problem. I'm sorry to have wasted your time but mistakes happen.

EDIT: Turns out the cyst built halfway up the ramp and then it looped all the way around for the other cyst to drop. I didn't pay enough attention and I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Anyway, I fixed the nav mesh and also dimmed most of the lights on the map. There might be a couple more bright lights that I've missed. I also added more ambient sound around the map. The new version should be out now.

It's a shame I didn't get the map tested today. I really wanted to see how the map plays out.
    Fivz wrote: »
    I was in the test with you guys. I did check to see if I could cyst up into mineral junction as well as every other place when you told me about the problem. I'm sorry to have wasted your time but mistakes happen.

EDIT: Turns out the cyst built halfway up the ramp and then it looped all the way around for the other cyst to drop. I didn't pay enough attention and I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Anyway, I fixed the nav mesh and also dimmed most of the lights on the map. There might be a couple more bright lights that I've missed. I also added more ambient sound around the map. The new version should be out now.

It's a shame I didn't get the map tested today. I really wanted to see how the map plays out.

Thanks! Yea really thin pathing areas are just asking for trouble :)
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    A little note from the Faded modder: Your map is awesome, great lightning works (distinction between ambiant and local lights that allow me to only turn green the rights one), mapping design, texture. Great work on corridors too with the combinaison of grids and lights (shadows are really excellent), the fog near mineshaft, the water fall, sounds, etc. Thanks for this piece of art where every part of the map is unique.

It fits perfectly and is one of the best for my mod in my opinion :).