Useful tip?

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
Since using DVI for quite a long time now I managed to purchase a HDMI cable for another use (Yes I know DVI is superior and only difference is that HDMI carries audio) but besides that, I was sniffing around my Nvidia Settings ---> Display ---> Change Resolution once you are on this page scroll down to the bottom til you find "Output Dynamic range", mine was set on Limited before when I used DVI but since switching over to HDMI it was set to "Full" as a result the colour on my desktop and NS2 looked much more vibrant!

Have a play and see if it makes any difference for you?

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/

Heres more indepth information about it for those that are curious. Happy fragging.

Comments

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    AFAIK this resets every time you update your drivers too, just something to keep in mind.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    "NS2 looked much more vibrant!"

Compared to hdmi limited, yes.
    Compared to DVI, no. Cause there would be no difference.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Funny thing is, I think it was set to limited when I had my DVI cable installed which explains why my picture looked so dull, however soon as I switched to HDMI, the colour appeared much more vibrant, hence why I made this post as anyone who is still using DVI, be sure to check to see if it is set on Full range instead of limited.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I dont have that option while using Dvi
    edited January 2016
    You cannot setup DVI to limited, cause its running ALWAYS on full range (Thats the PC standard, while TVs running at limited).

DVI is PC standard, while HDMI is made for home entertainment like TVs.
    Every movie out there is mastered with limited range.
    Thats why the HDMI specification has to support both, PC and TV.

So setting HDMI to full is the same like using DVI.
    I call your experience a classic placebo.

The article you linked say ecaxt that:
    "Whenever a monitor with a resolution in common with HDTVs (i.e. 1920 x 1080) is connected to an Nvidia GPU by HDMI or DVI-HDMI cable, the GPU decides that the connected screen is an ‘HDTV’ rather than a monitor. "
    If you connect a Monitor via Displayport cable and the GPU cant read the correct EDID information, sometimes a Monitor is detected by the GPU as HDTV, but never heard about that if you use DVI.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    All I know is when I used DVI my desktop and games appeared dull, soon as I swapped to HDMI, they appeared much more colourful , I will upload pictures later when I get home from fishing
  • HurHurGorgeHurHurGorge Finland Join Date: 2015-12-12 Member: 209921Members
    You can go and set Digital Vibrance in your control panel and all colors will be more vibrant and stronger.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Does your monitor have "modes"? like theater mode, game mode, etc?
    Could be that it defaulted to a mode when you switched cables.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Does your monitor have "modes"? like theater mode, game mode, etc?
    Could be that it defaulted to a mode when you switched cables.

I was inclined to think the same thing until I read the instructions he linked.

He is seeing something like this:
    Nvidia-dynamic-range-option.png

With my monitor using dual link dvi I don't have the "Output Color Depth" or "Output Color Range" options.

@yojimbo, I don't think screenshots will really show much of a difference if any. This is one of those things that is local to your monitor.
    You dont have the Output color format with DVI also.
    All these extra stuff from the screenshot above is for TVs.
    DVI is always running at RGB full range, thats the PC standard.
    And thats why "HDMI full range looks better" is a placebo.
    I know Nordic that's why I'll upload pictures from a camera instead of print screen, so you can get the jist, honestly the colours been better since the switch, like digital vibrancy been jacked up lol
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    I know Nordic that's why I'll upload pictures from a camera instead of print screen, so you can get the jist, honestly the colours been better since the switch, like digital vibrancy been jacked up lol

Is your monitor a tv?
    Its better compared to HDMI limited, sure.
    But it cant be better than DVI cause the reasons i posted above.
    You know what I think it is lol, it's an LG tv at 22inch but doubles up as a monitor when I go to change resolution section it shows as 1080p under PC not Ultra HD, HD and SD, it's really weird ?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    o.0 Hows the mouse input delay playing on that TV?
    1ms 22+ inch Asus monitors are reaaallly cheap these days.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    o.0 Hows the mouse input delay playing on that TV?
    1ms 22+ inch Asus monitors are reaaallly cheap these days.

Its not bad actually haha, I can't tell if its a monitor with built in TV features or a TV with builtin monitor features lol! I'll link the model that it is after work!
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, TV's are pretty crap.