H2.O Update Released - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageH2.O Update Released - Subnautica

Here is the water you have always wanted! The H2.O update completely overhauls the graphics in Subnautica Early Access: new surface water, longer draw distances, richer colors, pitch black night-time, even solar...

Read the full story here

Comments

• LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Aww yea, time to drown!
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    edited January 2016
  • LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
    Was waiting for the update to hit before starting a new save, now I can :)
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    edited January 2016
    As always , it's very nice to have an update that doesn't break saves.

Unfortunately the water on minimum settings is rather immersion-breaking , having very visible polygons. Perhaps keep the old model for that ?

Trying to scan everything for those encyclopaedia entries is a fun challenge , I was disappointed to find bone sharks not scannable however. I wonder how long it takes to scan a reaper , that may not be very practical.

Am I missing fragments or should I be able to build a water park and farm trays ? Can't find those in the builder menu. Or were those not implemented ?
  • PhantomgamingPhantomgaming Kolkata, west bengal, India. Join Date: 2015-12-24 Member: 210255Members
    Awesome! it's time we ride!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Was awesome in experimental, so im sure its awesome now
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Looks fantastic. I'd love to read a technical writeup of how it works.
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    I know what I am doing tonight... Already started new, fresh game and I love it. It was worth the wait after all, thank you developers. You are pushing this project in the best way possible and you care what the people think and say. This is just amazing.
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    Romatic sunsets = Forever alone
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    OMG yes finally! =D
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    Stakhanov wrote: »
    As always , it's very nice to have an update that doesn't break saves.

Unfortunately the water on minimum settings is rather immersion-breaking , having very visible polygons. Perhaps keep the old model for that ?

Trying to scan everything for those encyclopaedia entries is a fun challenge , I was disappointed to find bone sharks not scannable however. I wonder how long it takes to scan a reaper , that may not be very practical.

Am I missing fragments or should I be able to build a water park and farm trays ? Can't find those in the builder menu. Or were those not implemented ?

I experience the same problem when playing on minimum. I don't think the large aquarium (water park) and the farm trays were implemented. I would think that they would have mentioned those. Probably soon though.

If you want to scan a reaper or anything dangerous, it might be wise to freeze it with the stasis rifle before scanning to avoid being killed.
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    Heh , I assumed the stasis rifle didn't work on reapers... that's too easy :p
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    Hey did anyone notice that the biomes seem to be different? Like there are more sections of them in a different layout? Or am I going crazy?
  • DreacosDreacos Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203919Members

I switched from experimental to stable after the patch, and I am able to build them, no fragments involved. Water park in the first tab, farm trays in the third, if I remember correctly. And I think water park is called large aquarium now.

• Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer

Yeah, the PDA scanner entries are still a work in progress. We wanted to roll it out to the public sooner rather then later, so many creatures and plants are not scannable yet, such as the Bone Sharks. But the plan is that every creature, and almost every plant, and other miscellaneous items, will eventually be scannable and give you an entry in the PDA.

The large aquarium and farming trays are not in this update, they are part of the next big Farming update.

• ZimbeltonZimbelton Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211443Members
    hallo ich habe das H20 update installiert und wollte starten das ging auch dan wollte ich in meine welt dan stürzt plötzlich das spiel ab dan habe ich es neu gestartet und wieder probiert wieder abgestürtzt dann wollte ich eine neue welt erstellen und das 2 mal aber es ist wieder abgestürtzt was soll ich jetzt tun ?? bitte hilfe
  • ZimbeltonZimbelton Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211443Members
    hallo habe h20 update installiert stürztt aber jedes mal wen ich in eine welt gehen will ab bitte helft mir!!
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    ShuryCZ wrote: »
    I know what I am doing tonight... Already started new, fresh game and I love it. It was worth the wait after all, thank you developers. You are pushing this project in the best way possible and you care what the people think and say. This is just amazing.
    R2T9 wrote: »
    Hey did anyone notice that the biomes seem to be different? Like there are more sections of them in a different layout? Or am I going crazy?

Yes, I always start a fresh game when a big new update comes out; I love exploring and seeing all the major and subtle changes. It's always like start a fresh world.

• CassadoreCassadore Germany Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211446Members
    Zimbelton wrote: »
    hallo habe h20 update installiert stürztt aber jedes mal wen ich in eine welt gehen will ab bitte helft mir!!

Quick Translation: Subnautica crashes when I try to start a new game.
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    HOLY TESTICLES YES
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I didn't play the game for some time now. This update gave me reason to download it again to have a peak. So, i peaked in for two hours now and I have to say, the direction subnautica is going is very much too my liking.
  • agentspyagentspy u.s.a. Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211515Members
    Ever since the update my game won't load. Tried uninstall/reinstall, but still won't work. I'm not the only one. Wish I could play the game I paid for.
  • R1600TurboR1600Turbo AZ, USA Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204090Members
    agentspy wrote: »
    Ever since the update my game won't load. Tried uninstall/reinstall, but still won't work. I'm not the only one. Wish I could play the game I paid for.

It's an early access game, updates may break it (hell even some updates for games that have been released break it and have to be fixed shortly after) so rather than make snide remarks about it, it's best to kindly let the developers know about it and I'm sure they are already working on a fix since quite a few are having issues.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

But the plan is that every creature, and almost every plant, and other miscellaneous items, will eventually be scannable and give you an entry in the PDA.

Very System Shock feely for me, I love it!
    edited January 2016
    agentspy wrote: »

That's the risk you take when you buy a early access game. In doing so you are, more or less, assisting the devs in developing the game by playing it so that they can receive feedback on gameplay and bugs; something that would be a horrendous burden for them to do on their own. You knew it was early access when you purchased it, you took that risk. The proplem is that we all have different computers, different hardware, different software, different accessories, different settings. What might work for 100 people might not work for 5. Again, this is the purpose of early access. I am sure the devs will release a fix vary soon. In the meantime, simply stating "my game won't load" is of no help to the devs whatsoever. You need to explain in more details what is going on? When does the crash happen? Is it before the resolution, graphics setting page? Is it during the splash-screen time? Does the game start and then crash? Are there any error messages? Are you using stable or experimental version?

Have you submitted a proper support request for it?
    I just want to say that this H2O update is amazing and really changes the whole atmosphere of the game. I love the way the water changes to a green colour when we are in the kelp forest, especially at night. It's awesome seeing all the animal and plant bio-luminescence at night; blues, greens. reds. I have noticed a slight change in the layout of the already familiar biomes, such as when progressing from kelp forest to grassy plateau. I love this is it's like playing a brand new game and makes exploring more fun. The water effects are great. I also love the new sky with its clouds, moon and planet.

Good work devs!

I would like to point out one tiny tiny thing that is not a bug but more of a "dumb thing"; the clouds at night appear to go behind the stars; the stars can be clearly see over the clouds.
  • JACKNemo88JACKNemo88 JAW Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210840Members
    edited January 2016
    Dreacos wrote: »

I switched from experimental to stable after the patch, and I am able to build them, no fragments involved. Water park in the first tab, farm trays in the third, if I remember correctly. And I think water park is called large aquarium now.
    How do you switch from experimental to stable?
    And how big is the H2.0 Update?
    Last, does anyone have coordinates for the wrecks biome i can't seem to find it?
  • PiscatorPiscator Belgium Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211434Members
    edited January 2016
    I usually switch back on the stable version from the Steam Menu (right click on Subnautica in the games list, click on "Properties", select the "Beta" tab and choose "NONE" instead of "Experimental")

The wrecks biome is located somewhere in the Grassy Plateau, northeast of your starting place in a new game (wich is in the middle of the map, in the Safe Shallows). You can take a look on this map link : https://us.v-cdn.net/5019629/uploads/editor/s6/k1y5zvaavqid.png
  • JACKNemo88JACKNemo88 JAW Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210840Members
    Thanks i am just updating to h2.0 now i think the wrecks update might not have installed properly because i checked the whole grassy plains area especially where people said so i think it should work now and thanks for the game mode change help. 2 questions.
    1. can you use the biome command to get to the wrecks biome?
    2. have you found the wrecks biome yourself?
  • PiscatorPiscator Belgium Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211434Members
    I forgot to clarify something : you have to play subnautica at least on "freedom" (or "survival" and "hardcore" mode, if you prefer) to have a chance to reach the wrecks.
    This biome is not implemented on "creative" mode (because the explosion of the Aurora doesn't occure on this mode, so there are no wrecks at all appearing on the map)