Power outage in seabases.

TheRelicOfOwlsTheRelicOfOwls Texas Join Date: 2016-01-06 Member: 211014Members
Has anyone discussed this yet? When you are first making seabases I found it weird that before they are given any power all the lights are on and that robotic voice greets you. I was thinking that when power starts at or reaches zero all the lights should go out in the base just as the fabricator shuts down at zero power.

On a side note, it's also weird that in the current build when your sub is in the moonpool at night, despite everything being lit in the base, the sub is colored dark as if it's in the outer night time environment.

Comments

• HydrophobicHydrophobic Reading, PA Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211082Members
    With regard to the lighting, I noticed the sub, the hatches and the players body in my game are all lit via the external lighting, regardless of window placement. This is either a bug that needs fixing or, for some reason, the moving items in the bases are just not getting the ambient base lighting as of yet.
  • IDTiaIDTia New York Join Date: 2016-01-04 Member: 210874Members
    I really don't like how power is handled for Sea Bases at the moment, but first off, from what I understand is Sea Base models don't have shadow applied to them, so they always look normally visible. On the other hand, things like your hands, the SeaMoth, and the poster, are affected by shadow. As the base creates no actual light, they all depend on the daytime sun. Annoying yes, but there was some things in Trello having to do with light and shadows.

I started writing some big massive power system, but I am no expert, and am also running on like, an hour of sleep, so I'll save it for another time.
  • TheRelicOfOwlsTheRelicOfOwls Texas Join Date: 2016-01-06 Member: 211014Members
    IDTia wrote: »
    I really don't like how power is handled for Sea Bases at the moment, but first off, from what I understand is Sea Base models don't have shadow applied to them, so they always look normally visible. On the other hand, things like your hands, the SeaMoth, and the poster, are affected by shadow. As the base creates no actual light, they all depend on the daytime sun. Annoying yes, but there was some things in Trello having to do with light and shadows.

I started writing some big massive power system, but I am no expert, and am also running on like, an hour of sleep, so I'll save it for another time.

yeah it's become increasingly evident that all the tools and buildings are "full-bright" as they call it in second life. It would be nice to see them actually be effected by the environment lighting AND to have their own internal lighting, hopefully run by base power. I'll have to check the Trello again to see if I can find what you mentioned
  • SporkWitchSporkWitch Rochester, NY, USA Join Date: 2016-01-11 Member: 211254Members
    As far as the lighting when power is off, I agree. When power level is at 0 (whether because of no power connected or because power was drained by stuff), the lighting should switch to really dim red (the AI voice itself says "power lost, switching to emergency power," it only makes sense that we have emergency lighting to reflect this.)
  • SassyTitanSassyTitan Join Date: 2016-01-13 Member: 211321Members
    I recon when the power goes off in the sea base, that all equipment stops functioning, oxygen shortage, and that most lights go off but some flicker, I recon that would look pretty cool if your base floods and it's pitch black with one or two flickering lights giving it an eerie feeling
  • HydrophobicHydrophobic Reading, PA Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211082Members
    So I just noticed on the roadmap that they will add craftable lighting to the game as well as limited O2 in bases and the Seamoth with the ability to craft an O2 machine in the same manner as we have the water filtration station.
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    It's a feature that's going to be part of an upcoming update :)