do you want more biomes?

bond007bond007 england Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210960Members
edited January 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
so this is a decision iff you want more biomes or iff you dont just click one of the votes below and vote

Comments

• HumpfyGabHumpfyGab Germany Join Date: 2016-01-02 Member: 210798Members
    I think we have enough biomes.

Now it's time to work on the enviorment and its mechanics.
    Biomes are not only places to encounter new hostile fish and gather resources by hammering stones. There could be much more to it - depending on backgroundstory and implemented game mechanics.

The upcomig (?) heatmechanicals well as the transfuser mechanic foreshadow what could be possible.

So some random ideas:
    - poisons (poisonous fish/plants)
    - deseases
    - parasitic infections
    - sickbay/medical equipment for the base
    - waterpressure mechanics
    - more functionality for plants as resource
    - shellfish and mussels
    - foodchains and symbiotic releations between species (and possibly disrupting them by playeraction)
    - impact of the crash of the Aurora on the ecosystem
    - monitoring system for ecosystem research and maintenence

I think at least half of the resources should be biological and not geological like now.
    On one hand biological resources are renewable, on the other hand the player can manipulate/disrupt/distroy the biological resource production. That brings in changing biomes, revive dying/dead ecosystems etc... The possibilitiey are endless.
    Instead of implemeting more and more biomes create new layers of meaning and gameplay to the old ones. Make it necessary for the player to revisit and work with the visited biomes. They are more than tears of spots for resource gathering.

SubNautica is a wonderfull game and utterly unique by background and seting. I hope the developers expand on this instead of giving us just more of the things we know from other (survival-)games.

PS: Great work. I love the game to bits. :smile:
    Keep up your good work.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I see the yes/no poll cancer has spread in my absence.

I want a Nuclear Biome, which is permanently irradiated, with "mutant" versions of creatures that live there, along with a colossal, reptilian Nuclear Leviathan.
  • bond007bond007 england Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210960Members
    i just like sunken ships they are so cool!!!
  • DavidHudsonDavidHudson Azores Join Date: 2015-11-05 Member: 208976Members
    Why wouldn't we want more biomes? more the merrier
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Why wouldn't we want more biomes? more the merrier
    This is exactly why yes/no polls like this should be banned
  • TheRelicOfOwlsTheRelicOfOwls Texas Join Date: 2016-01-06 Member: 211014Members
    edited January 2016
    I feel like there's still quite a bit of open space for unique biomes. A lot of unexplored underwater color schemes as well as mechanics and interactions.

My vote would be on: a few more biomes, but a lot more iteration and detail on currently existing ones. One thing that would make biomes more immersive is identifiable food chains in each one, and perhaps the interesting clash of adjacent biomes and their interactions to one another.

The "sharks" of each area shouldn't be the lone hunters of their biome. Spice it up a bit and make more pack hunters like the piranha things, make more intelligent behaviors for the fish that can be studied and then exploited by following/using/interacting with them. Example: A fish's natural predator is nearby so that type of fish flees as a flock, you then know what's in that area. Another example: Particular fish are interested or drawn to specific things, maybe currents, loot, particular minerals or resources etc - this allows players to more accurately locate things and understand the environment.

Another idea for existing and future biomes is to follow along with the hot/cold temps idea and compliment dynamic weather or events in general. Rainy days cause certain biomes closer to the surface to go crazy with activity. Maybe even make unique weather patterns that wouldn't be seen on earth like acidic mists that prevent you from wanting to surface, traveling whirlpools that act like subnautical tornadoes, or magnetic storms that threaten to destroy seabases by tearing them apart, as well as move scrap metal to the storms' center. Just some ideas.

Now some ideas for new biomes:

- Dark biome. Almost everything in the game has some sort of luminescent property, so what better way to throw a curve ball then to have that one biome that is eerily pitch black that you absolutely need your flashlight to enter? I imagine a lot of terrifying coral shapes to make the majority of the landscape, or maybe even make it metalic in appearance.

- Radioactive biome. Yes I'm hopping on the bandwagon with this one purely because the rad suit seems useless beyond exploring the Aurora, which you can kill the radiation on anyway. Plus having a radioactive environment allows for something like uranium to be abundant in. I would also like this particular biome to take on a yellow-er color scheme. maybe even a grey/black and yellow scheme. Dark coral with yellow glowing flora. Fish in the area would also have unique features that allow them immunity to the radioactivity obviously, probably behaviors that make them aggressive around non-radiated interlopers or something.

- Brine Biome. This is basically lakes that are underwater and exists in real life. just imagine being in subnautica and finding lakes deep underwater which require a whole new level of reinforcement to enter.

That's just a few of my ideas.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    edited January 2016
    There already are four biomes in the making. Lost River, Lava Zone, Twisty Bridges and the Arctic Glacier ... did is forget one?
    It's like a busload of new member has arrived these last days ... maybe because of markiplier.
  • PeterManizePeterManize Pandolite Join Date: 2015-12-28 Member: 210458Members

I want a Nuclear Biome, which is permanently irradiated, with "mutant" versions of creatures that live there, along with a colossal, reptilian Nuclear Leviathan.

I am with you. and i will add to your comment and suggestion, this:
    - Since we made the radiation suit to fix the aurora radiation leaks, technically after that the radiation suit is useless. At least if there would be a radiation biome we at least where ready to go since we had the suit stored in a locker somewhere... lel.

+ It would be nice to see radioactive "CockroachSnakes" Lmao! :smiley:
  • terraformer004terraformer004 north america, central standard time Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210832Members
    edited January 2016
    @04Leonhardt
    why are yes/no polls bad? (I'm not disagreeing with you, i'm just genuineley curious why you would be against something so...generic)

and yeah i'd like to see the radiation suit become useful somewhere other than the aurora...
  • IDTiaIDTia New York Join Date: 2016-01-04 Member: 210874Members
    @terraformer004 Yes/No polls can be considered bad due to how they are used. Lack of effort to check ones grammar, spelling, and capitalization makes me roll my eyes at them. An unserious tone, extra choices that skewer the results, and unnecessary information in the choices provided. Who wouldn't want new biomes if they were good quality and new, but that takes time, and there is still much to do with the game. Talk of biomes, story, end game, all that is not really productive at the moment. Why are you so desperate to have an ending to the game? There's better things that the developers could do with their time.

Also, think of the developers if they read this.
    There is a poll here, it says that the players active on the forum want more biomes, well... duh?

Now, if the developers read @HumpfyGab 's post, there's actually simple ideas to start conversation and brainstorm. That's usable feedback.
  • HumpfyGabHumpfyGab Germany Join Date: 2016-01-02 Member: 210798Members
    I with you there, @IDTia.

I think we must discard thinking of biomes and start thinking about places. That goes for a sunken ship (that does't need a biome for itself) as well as reefs or kelpforrests for instance.

The term biome literally means ecosystem or stucture/system of organisms. For now I don't see much of this in the game. For now the biomes are visual distinct places for gathering certain resources... though I'm sure the developers are working hard on these aspects.

Wanting more and more "biomes" means wanting the developers to create more space instead of fleshing out existing biomes more interestingly and tie them into new game mechanics.

I - personally - prefer a small gameworld that is full of things to do and to uncover compaired with vast empty spaces that looks differnt.
    Always quality over quantity.

And so I too don't see the significance of polls like this.
    They imply that there is nothing than the given anwsers to chose from. In my experience interesting ideas can only come from thinking outside the box instead.
    (That also goes for polls like "Do you want more Subs?" or "Do you want more monsters?")

The question to ask is:
    Is there a need to create an new biome, a new monster or Sub or can the exsisting biomes etc. be made more interesting/scary/dangerous/intriguing etc?

Why do you even want more of these things?
    Because they are rather boring at the moment...

(no offence to the developers. I know you are working hard to create the ulimate experience. Keep up the good work.)

So let's make the existing biomes more interesting. Ad more layers of gameplay.
    I think you will see that that's the thing you want: more interesting places and more to do, not just more places.

I think Subnautica has the potential to become on of the best games ever. So try to think a little harder and try to help making it the game it can become instead of yelling:
    "I WANT MOAR CAAAAANNNDDDDYYYY!"

Thats not helping...

----

I'm sorry I went on a kind of rant there. No offence. But I'm really frustrated about some of the suggestions that got thrown out into the forums here without thinking if it would benefit the game and the expierence.

I'm impatient too. But I know: good things take good time.
    The developers are working hard to meet your wishes. So be carefull what you wish for.

I really love that so many people try to make a contribution to the game development and I don't want to discourage you posting here.
    But please... give it a little bit more thought. Be patient and look at the game from more than one angle.

If you love the biomes just post: "I really love the biomes." and expand on what you loved and what you disliked.
    Not give me more biomes, because that will take away what you loved biomes for in the first place...

Don't do polls, do discussions...
    The developers can't draw much inspiration from polls.
    The developers will benefit much more from disscussions and bouncing thoughts forth and back, than by having 20 posts of "Yes, I want (more of) this.".