Alien backstab bonus?

RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
I've talked about this with one of the testers during playtest yesterday and I'm wondering why it hasn't been implemented yet (or at least considered and tested).

I love playing slow with aliens, waiting for prey to get past and then bite them from behind in the ass. But I realized, other than not being seen, such tactic doesn't really have ANY other benefit. In most cases when you land, you make a noise and alert the marine unless you strike absolutely directly which is in most cases almost impossible anyway. Why not give additional damage bonus to skulks (and potentially even to other aliens since being a sneaky bastard is the whole point of aliens) if they land a bite to the back of the marine? With the recent developments in improved hit reg and existing strafe jumping, skulks are really nerfed to the max if you ask me. It's already bad as it is when a superior moving alien has to chase a strafe jumping marine around like a little puppy, but with dead on hit reg, it just gets even worse. That's what I've observed.

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I believe it was wild_chicken from Hg who I first heard summarize it as: "No to situational modifiers!".

Anyway, notice the implication here. Who is this change going to benefit first and foremost? The rookie? No. Way.

The veterans, will not only be the quickest to adopt this mechanic in their repertoire, they will also be the best at adapting and countering it.

The more skilled, and thus more aware, the marine is; the less likely you are to get a backstab in. The rookies however, already don't notice what hit them a lot of the time..

So I believe, this change will do nothing to ease the already massive skill gaps that NS2 suffer from, on the contrary.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't find that to be true. Whenever I hit marine from behind, they strafe jump 346768346 meters away and unless there is a wall I can boost from, you're a sitting duck on the ground chasing a marine like a small puppy while he's gunning you down. Even though alien should be the one with superior movement, not marine. Which is just silly. This way being patient and stealthy at least properly rewards you. And yes, this would benefit even rookies. I've seen them regularly do backstab attacks, but if I still can't deal with retarded strafe jump escape of marines, how do you expect rookies to do that?
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    "No to situational modifiers!".
    alright, next thread.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    RejZoR wrote: »
    And yes, this would benefit even rookies. I've seen them regularly do backstab attacks...
    Regularly? ...Really? You sure you don't mean occasionally? And who are they backstabbing, veterans? If not, I don't think it really adresses my point. Who cares if one rookie sometimes backstabs another..
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hmm, so... The biggest complaint from new players is that the game is way too fast paced and they die too fast. All this would accomplish, it gives even more power to experienced players dispatch marines even faster...

If a marine is gunning you down you are simply caught out of position.

Ballerina marines look stupid and also negates the point just above here. A marine caught out of position can still use his dance dance revolution skills to counter a successful ambush. Complaint number two from newbies is, "wtf are they marines constantly jumping like dipshits, it looks stupid and is unfair"

Better hitreg has been known to screw over aliens before as well
    As for the hitreg complaint; the natural thing to combat that, is simply to give aliens a health boost.

And IF marines jumping is a huge problem (I'm not convinced that it is) - then THAT should be addressed, why bandaid it with a backstab mechanic? That is not addressing the marine mobility problem at all.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is addressing it. Because they'll still outmaneuver you when in head on combat (which you shouldn't be doing in the first place), but gives you an edge when being sneaky. Which now, I'm not so sure about. I'm no rookie and I regularly get killed by strafe jump nonsense even when backstabbing. What does that tell you? Only time when it works are rookies who just run forward and you bite them down without any problems. It won't really change for them in any way, because they already get bitten down easily without even losing 1 HP. So, no change for rookies. But it will be a big thing for those who have at least some experience with NS2.

If doing a back hit registering mechanic is too difficult, then tackle this in some other way to give aliens some sort of meaning to be stealthy and sneaky. Buffing up health imo isn't a solution because that also changes the face to face combat and technically entire balance.

This especially applies because the shade hive is in 99% times used in the very end when it frankly doesn't even matter because you're most likely already winning so much to be able to afford it as a third hive and or the enemy already has observatories all over the map which again makes it irrelevant except for the wallhack thingie.

What I'm saying here is that everyone is saying the whole point of aliens is to be sneaky and yet you can't really practice that properly and make any meaningful benefit from it. Not being seen or heard is not exactly a special benefit because you can do that with a marine as well. Just remember all the times you crouch walked around with a buffed up shotgun taking down skulks by a surprise. Yeah, that...
    edited December 2015
    I'm no rookie and I regularly get killed by strafe jump nonsense even when backstabbing. What does that tell you?
    This tells me a number of things, but one thing it doesn't tell me, is that the fix is a backstab mechanic. IF anything (emphasis on IF), it tells me that a reform on the marine or alien movement is required. Except, I don't experience the same problem as you. So I'd maintain, that this is an area, where the individual can improve, rather than demand the devs to make the game easier for you.
    Only time when it works are rookies who just run forward and you bite them down without any problems. It won't really change for them in any way, because they already get bitten down easily without even losing 1 HP. So, no change for rookies.
    Not exactly, Rookies will die even quicker than usual to their frustration.
    If doing a back hit registering mechanic is too difficult, then tackle this in some other way to give aliens some sort of meaning to be stealthy and sneaky. Buffing up health imo isn't a solution because that also changes the face to face combat and technically entire balance.
    OK I think we misunderstand each other here. I'm talking about the fact that improvements to hitregistration, is inherently going to favor marines, because more bullets will register in the same amount of time, with the same amount of skill - therefore they should re-balance the face-to-face combat as well, as hit reg improves.
    What I'm saying here is that everyone is saying the whole point of aliens is to be sneaky and yet you can't really practice that properly and make any meaningful benefit from it. Not being seen or heard is not exactly a special benefit because you can do that with a marine as well. Just remember all the times you crouch walked around with a buffed up shotgun taking down skulks by a surprise. Yeah, that...
    Idk who says aliens is about being sneaky.

Being tactical, is its own benefit. Being sneaky is tactical. I'd say, aliens is about closing distance with as much hp as possible - one way to do that is to be sneaky. Another is to wait around a corner. Another is to work in a group. The benefit is inherent in the tactic you use, no need for artificial buffs imo.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    What I'm saying here is that everyone is saying the whole point of aliens is to be sneaky
    I have had on a number of occasions I have told people about ns2, and they ask "Isn't that the game where the aliens are super sneaky?" I tell them no. As santaclaws said that is just one valid tactic to close the distance, but so often the worst one. I see a lot of rookie skulks just slowly move across the map not doing anything while even rookie marines just take the map. This is the same reason shade hive is not used and shift hive is overused. With shade hive, I think the majority of players, try to be sneaky by using cloak. They play too defensively by trying to be sneaky. While at the same time, shift hive which I think is the weakest of hives, is so popular because it makes up for lower skilled aliens to close the gap.
    Because they make ton fuck of noise, that's why. When I have shade, I use it to backstab them at high speed. Because yes, you guessed it, you make NO noise. Cloak is only to ambush them in positions that you've already took over or to wait for regen to heal you and get you ready for next attack.

When you have no shade, if you just plan on rushing around, they will hear you across half the map and then you have to 100% rely on luck, hit reg being registered correctly and home the marine sucks more than you do. What kind of shitty tactic is that?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    The problem you are describe is how difficult it is to close the gap. Being silent and getting the jump on them is one way to do that. How do more skilled players close the gap without silence?
    Hording mostly. No matter how good you are, you can't fight off a horde biting your ass off. Unless the comm is absolutelyl spamming you with medkits and even then it's questonable.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hording mostly. No matter how good you are, you can't fight off a horde biting your ass off. Unless the comm is absolutelyl spamming you with medkits and even then it's questonable.
    I just yell TSSST and SIT, now I'm the leader of the pack!
  • KaydexKaydex Iceland Join Date: 2016-01-02 Member: 210761Members
    I'm not sure, I would agree if it does at least like first bonus damage if you attack them from behind but I'm not sure about have it constantly bonus because it would be unbalanced. Think about skulks that have cloak... going up to people would be too easy and I am not sure about it working with that.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This strangely reminds me of the time when skulks could do 25, 50 or 75 damage per bite, depending on the accuracy of the hit. I feel this suggestion falls back to the almost same thing, except that 3D placement will be the factor, instead of the 2D aim.

I believe this was removed for a reason, and I share the thought of it being only negative for newcomers as not everyone can jump while biting around a marine.

It is nice to know that a bite is a bite, and never a third of one as previously. It helps in some scenario to know that a teammate did a certain number of bites. This already being "skill" related, it would only add "unpredictiveness" to the game; and why add that ?

Also this would change the way marine position themselves. While it is already very important, this only favor having a back against a wall, which I feel wouldn't be a nice mechanic to add.

Red
  • IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    Lets get crit chance on headshots into the game too while we are at it. Medpacks should also have an RNG where you can get invincible for 10 seconds, because rookies would love that. Also a chance to instantly egg into a lifeform if you gorge on top of the marine chair. And catpacks should have a risk of overdosing the marines, forcing them into swalkmode v2 or just outright killing them.

Seriously though - It can be annoying enough with the random spawn locations and fieldplayers' spawn within that location. Lets keep that to the only random/situational thing.

I dont understand the thoughtprocess of failing in game, goes strait to thinking about new features. Instead, figure out how/why things go wrong. Submit a video of the situation and people will happily help you. My first thought of your troubles is ping. If you manage to sneak up on a marine, dont bite him and keep sitting on your ass, keep moving - the marine WILL turn around and shoot at you. At this point you should already have moved, and either guessed to where he wanted to go, or gotten to a wall to dis- then reengage. Gluing too a marine can be hard, but skulks are faster. If landing the bites after the dodging begins, I can recommend crazy's new alienvision with bite aid.