Draconis, anyone?

Vorgon_JealtzVorgon_Jealtz Join Date: 2015-12-25 Member: 210320Members
I was browsing through the concept art on the wiki, when I found a beautiful image of a sub called the Draconis. In my mind, it would be just over twice the length of the cyclops, have a very detailed interior, etc.

Here it is:

hixab5g5q9ef.jpg

I really want the developers to implement this beautiful machine, and I know this is one out of possibly hundreds of submarine threads on this forum, but it would be amazing to see the Draconis in-game

Comments

• lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    Beautiful, beautiful ... but there isn't even a real need for cyclops at the moment. So what is it good for? Can it fly?
  • Vorgon_JealtzVorgon_Jealtz Join Date: 2015-12-25 Member: 210320Members
    No, but it's just something to add to the playing experience; the cyclops can only hold so much stuff (and so many upgrades), and a very deep submarine storing multiple Seamoths/ExoSuits could be helpful utility-wise. Plus, like the Cyclops, it's another goal to work toward.
  • s1nt4xs1nt4x Join Date: 2015-12-25 Member: 210329Members
    I second this motion. This submarine is truly beautiful.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It reminds me of the Bebop fishing trawler (shape)
    2_Bebopwater.png
    Strap some space engines on that thing!
  • OpaliasOpalias Join Date: 2015-12-25 Member: 210328Members
    I think it would be good to have subs with more strictly defined jobs, currently with the upgrade mods you can make it capable of various functions. If we want more submarines, having a slower deep depth sub might contrast well with say a faster nuclear sub, with a shallower crush depth. Visibility could play into it too. Maybe one has a huge view port, and the other advanced sonar. It would encourage the player to build them all to meet different mission requirements.
  • Vorgon_JealtzVorgon_Jealtz Join Date: 2015-12-25 Member: 210320Members
    Opalias wrote: »
    I think it would be good to have subs with more strictly defined jobs, currently with the upgrade mods you can make it capable of various functions. If we want more submarines, having a slower deep depth sub might contrast well with say a faster nuclear sub, with a shallower crush depth. Visibility could play into it too. Maybe one has a huge view port, and the other advanced sonar. It would encourage the player to build them all to meet different mission requirements.

Even with more strictly defined jobs, it's nice to have some sort of end-game to work toward, and I have my eye on Draconis. It doesn't have to do everything per se, but I view it as sort of a capital ship (like an aircraft carrier) to lead the player's fleet once it is obtained.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited December 2015
    The Cyclops and the Draconis arent an end within themselves, theyre both advanced tools we must use to reach some places we couldnt go before without them. I agree that right now the cyclops isnt useful for much. it isnt required to go anywhere we couldnt go without it, its very power-hungry also. Implementing the Draconis now would make it as ''useless'' as the Cyclops is as we speak.

All that being said yeah i know, building a Cyclops is cool 'n all that, i build one as well in every savegame i create and put storage 'n upgrades in it too like everyone else. But as said before theres no real purpose to the cyclops nor would it have for the Draconis. Just a suggestion here but before implementing such Subs into the game, itd be fun if they also implemented a real purpose for them alongside as well, like some cool and foreign place (or a new Biome) that you couldnt reach unless you had that sub.

Also, before seeing the Draconis ingame, id rather have some kind of docking bay for the cyclops first -- A kind of Moonpool but designed for the cyclops that we could attach to our seabases. such a docking bay could be created after finding its fragments first like the moonpool
  • RassupRassup Earth Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210640Members
    lxh wrote: »
    Beautiful, beautiful ... but there isn't even a real need for cyclops at the moment. So what is it good for? Can it fly?

Actually, yes, it can fly!
    jzu33lrl6o2n.jpg

I hope they add some medium sized subs too, at least a couple between the seamoth & cyclops.
    edited December 2015
    Rassup wrote: »
    Actually, yes, it can fly!
    jzu33lrl6o2n.jpg

Hehehe, that's a good one!
    And yes, a medium sized reaper hunter that can hold SeaMoth as its cockpit and suck in stuff by propulsion was very much appreciated! But I'm afraid this would make the current game far too easy.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    To be honest I think we NEED something like the Draconis. Not only is it impressive and will definitely pull more people into the game, (subception!) but it also recently (5 minutes ago) came to my attention that the cyclops is very easy to take out by even a shocker at certain depths. I was in the Koosh zone, and I believe I was bordering the mountain biome (I was looking for the Grand reef but it had been awhile since I'd played last so I was lost and just enjoying myself) and though 3 reapers spawned within vision, they despawned altogether.

I believe it was shockers that screwed the cyclops because shortly after getting back into the cyclops and moving it elsewhere, 3 of them were twirling around and moving at the speed of light (much faster than I've seen them move normally O_o) and... It wasn't depth pressure because I had already installed the depth+ upgrade. I don't remember going past the 390m mark at least.

It could be a bug as I play in experimental, but I kind of doubt it, since when I realized whatever was causing the breaches was doing it faster than I could cover them, I went up to 250m and repaired them without anything else happening-- implying it wasn't a bug at least? I still don't think it's depth because I was definitely above 400m when it started happening.

Now I realize the cyclops might get upgrades that help in this situation-- but for the future, will there also not be creatures that can deal with the cyclops with little to no effort? I think there should be 1 very rare creature that isn't perhaps a "boss" but will simply swim around its habitat and be able to crush whatever it sees (Kraken please :3 )

I don't know-- perhaps the Draconis has been scrapped as has (I think?) many of the concept art assets, but I put my vote in for a yea :D
    Seldkam wrote: »
    To be honest I think we NEED something like the Draconis. Not only is it impressive and will definitely pull more people into the game

I don't know-- perhaps the Draconis has been scrapped as has (I think?) many of the concept art assets

I always ask myself: What's the motive, what's the need? Well, 'subception' wasn't my personal one and I'd build the Draconis only once if there wasn't any reasoned use to it. But I see your point, Seldkam!
    In this context and my mind, the term 'scrapped' becomes very related to 'wrecked'. I think finding and exploring the Draconis wrecked, was the only current 'use' I'd see for it right now.
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    would be nice as a fast high depth diver with a size somewhere in between the cyclops and the seamoth.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Seldkam wrote: »
    To be honest I think we NEED something like the Draconis. Not only is it impressive and will definitely pull more people into the game

I don't know-- perhaps the Draconis has been scrapped as has (I think?) many of the concept art assets

I always ask myself: What's the motive, what's the need? Well, 'subception' wasn't my personal one and I'd build the Draconis only once if there wasn't any reasoned use to it. But I see your point, Seldkam!
    In this context and my mind, the term 'scrapped' becomes very related to 'wrecked'. I think finding and exploring the Draconis wrecked, was the only current 'use' I'd see for it right now.

Yep-- Though to be honest, my main point was that a massive ship / submarine would probably draw in people who are interested by the sheer ambition. And to be honest that's my main interest in SN right now-- it started out very ambitious, and I'd like to see it push itself as much as it can :D
  • IcewaveIcewave Canada Join Date: 2015-11-02 Member: 208906Members
    only problem is if its that big guys think of the safe shallows, (they could fix this by making everything deeper by 20m or so on) but otherwise i think this should be the next sub
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Icewave wrote: »
    only problem is if its that big guys think of the safe shallows, (they could fix this by making everything deeper by 20m or so on) but otherwise i think this should be the next sub

It could be capable of Anti-Gravity surface sailing to negate this problem
    Imagine like, big glowing sciency hydrofoils that extend once it reaches the surface, and allows it to go stupid fast
    olympia.jpg
    ... and allows it to go stupid fast

Go stupid fast whereto? And I may point out that a double cyclops-sized ship would lead to another question: It is generally known that the effort increases cubically, means eight times more volume, mass and power. Means 48 powercells, hehe. But oh .. we could solve this problem by nuclear power ... and outdate cyclops along with its technology way before there's an actual requirement! ;)
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    I say it should definitely be smaller than the Cyclops and larger than the Seamoth, I'd guess 2/3 the Cyclops size requiring 4 Power Cells. As for a recharge option I don't want the OP module like the Seamoth, maybe tube extends from the side of the Draconis when perpendicular to a corridor on your base. That can act as a docking port and a charging station. While away from base it could have a small solar array as a backup power source where the lights inside and outside are dimmed 50% and the speed gets cut by the same amount. This would probably be for transporting an Exosuit, Seamoth, and basic reconnaissance of areas with a small crush depth of 400 meters and above water hovering of a foot. This sub would be 20% faster when hovering over the water, but not as graceful with turning (kinda like skating on ice with snowshoes on). This could be a good way for the devs to test out base modules for connecting to larger vehicles without having a large bay. Maybe inside the base is a small wall mounted computer with the module that allows you to inspect it, find any damages, see power usage, reinforce for emergencies, apply upgrades which take a minute to install into the ship, etc.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Impressive, but I'd hope it isn't bigger than the Cyclops. Personally I like the idea of a small unmanned scouting vehicle controlled from the Cyclops which has a limited signal range. Similar vehicles are used in real life to explore the ocean floor.
    edited January 2016
    Hmmm, a new ship :)
    But actually why? What is it ... logistic problems? How about drilling up cyclops a little more, as it happened to the seamoth?
    Plug in some handy update modules like a slower economic drive mode or extra speed, optimized maneuverability, solar charger, medical station, observatory glass room, seamoth docking, a bar and a swimming pool, or a bedroom. Why not? Feasible by board tools like fix installed builders. Could be funny, everyone's happy .. and we've got one more 'attraction'.
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    I can't deny it is pretty, but I don't think we need it...yet. If the world expands, maybe, but at the game's current state, no.

Ihx,
    Hmmm, a new ship :)
    But actually why? What is it ... logistic problems? How about drilling up cyclops a little more, as it happened to the seamoth?
    Plug in some handy update modules like a slower economic drive mode or extra speed, optimized maneuverability, solar charger, medical station, observatory glass room, seamoth docking, a bar and a swimming pool, or a bedroom. Why not? Feasible by board tools like fix installed builders. Could be funny, everyone's happy .. and we've got one more 'attraction'.

I think that that is what the devs should do next. Instead of making a new sub, just get us more upgrades for the cyclops. Because as it is, it can replace seabases...which I don't like. The Cyclops in my mind should have a defined role...and maybe upgrades would change that.
    edited January 2016
    R2T9 wrote: »
    Because as it is, it can replace seabases...which I don't like.

Yep, that's a damn good argument. Especially in freedom mode, where it takes no power if I remember correctly. And a solar charger wouldn't make it better.
    Well, I'd let the fabricator be much bigger, more sophisticated, expensive and strictly limited to bases. So you'd never ever mistake cyclops for a base. But I'm afraid most players couldn't stand it.
  • terraformer004terraformer004 north america, central standard time Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210832Members
    have you ever heard of a turducken? a chicken in a duck in a turkey? what if the cyclops fit into the draconis? XD
    (...no i don't think so... :smirk: )
  • iheartsubnauticaiheartsubnautica Join Date: 2016-01-06 Member: 211023Members
    have you ever heard of a turducken? a chicken in a duck in a turkey? what if the cyclops fit into the draconis? XD
    (...no i don't think so... :smirk: )

OMG TERRAFORMER, THATS A GREAT IDEA! :smiley: we should be able to fit a cyclops into the draconis!
    add the draconis please develapers! :smiley: please!
    NO WAIT WHAT IF THEY ADDED THE DRACONIS AS AN EXPLOREABLE RECK
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited February 2016
    Looks like a mini Aurora... I like what I'm seeing (don't get me wrong), but we'd have to take size and maneuverability into account. I have enough trouble keeping Cyclop's tail from smacking into walls. Perhaps if there was a HUD that showed the topography and a proximity alert sounded whenever the sub was about to collide into a cliff or other solid terrain, it would make piloting this boat easier.

Heck, it would make piloting the Cyclops easier, but it would also open the door for the Draconis.

For the storyline, this sub strikes me as Late or Endgame content. I can imagine it being armed to the teeth for facing the Sea Dragon Leviathan or whatever "Final Boss" they intend to implement.
  • DVDFMerlinDVDFMerlin Ireland Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214054Members
    For me being a silent hunter veteran and all is the fact you can walk around a sub like the cyclops is reason enough to own this wonderful game.I know it's power hungry and slow but when I hear welcome aboard captain from the computer I quickly forget any shortcomings the Cyclops may have. More submarines I say more!
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    Is this an old thread or just a repeat thread?
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Semi old, but still recent
  • NevercallmebynameNevercallmebyname Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207155Members
    If I was going to implement a titanic submarine then I'd break the world up into multiple maps and using the Draconis allows you to travel between these. But what is the likelihood of Subnautica doing that?