Linux users : tell your config/fps please

RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
Hi,

I see that a few users are on Linux (notably when playing). I recently tried installing Linux to try NS2 (The only thing holding me on Windows pretty much), but I got bad FPS so I was wondering if it is due to my OS and/or drivers version. I installed/uninstalled in various way; but I'm wondering if good performance is even possible before continuing.

So I'm creating this thread because I'd like to have an idea of the performance Linux users are getting while playing NS2. Please tell the distro, FPS and GPU/CPU. If possible please add the average FPS you're getting on Windows.

I tried with XUbuntu 15.10, with Catalyst driver fglrx-15.302 and 15.201(and maybe a mix of both, strangely), I got ~33-48 fps while I get 60-120 on Windows (less when exo/spore spam, and sometimes reach 200 in some scenario, i.e. facing a wall, or in menu; but I can't get this on Linux). I'm using a Radeon R9 280x and a Phenom 6 cores 1090T.

Thank you,

Red

Comments

• PikumPikum Indiana, USA Join Date: 2014-05-18 Member: 196104Members
    I have since uninstalled Linux because of reasons I wish not to discuss (tried to recompile the kernel, got mad)

relevant hardware:
    intel 6700k (No OC)
    nvidia gtx 980
    Asus VG248QE @ 144 hz
    2nd monitor was a Vizio 26" tv @ 60hz

Ubuntu 15.10
    I was using the nvidia graphics drivers because convenience

I am referring to build 277, since that's all that was available before i switched away from linux ( :neutral: )

Oddly enough, depending on what I had my monitor refresh rate set to, I would consistently get half of that in FPS. when running in 144hz, I would get 77fps ... when running in 120hz, i would get 60.. when running in 60, i would get 30.

It was a very strange issue, and was extremely inconsistent... it seemed like readyrooms would always run at the full framerate available, but then once the game started it would be cut in half... I wondered if it had to do with the linux equivalent of alt-tabbing, but it would happen even without doing that.

when it worked correctly, it seemed like i floated about 80-100ish, sometimes dipping to 35-40ish sometimes hitting 144... while on windows, i get 110-144 pretty consistently with dips down to 80 and sometimes lower on occasion

when it wasn't working correctly, i would get a consistent 77fps with dips to 35-40, but usually to about 55-60