Can't join any server. All "retry" on downloading some cryptic mod

MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
I have no idea what has happened to either my install of ns2 or the game itself. I cannot join any server tonight. All of them freeze on "Downloading Mods". I am forced to alt-tab and kill ns2.exe. They also say "Getting Info" on some cryptic mod with a name like n33543_34455344 or some such garbage. It says "Getting Info" on the mod and never stops. It keeps retying. I tried 8 retry attempts before killing it. And I did this many times.

I have rebooted my PC.
I have verifying the local files with Steam
I have deleted the contents of my cache folder in AppData/Natural Selection.

Every server is doing this. And I had played this game with no issues whatsoever maybe 6 hours earlier.

What the hell has happened???

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    try a server with a workshop backup.

The Thirsty Onos.
    Wooza's
    TAW

Are among a few who have one.
    If not, log please.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Steam has been having a fair share of issues if workshop is affected then many ns2 servers dont have cached versions of mods to send you, so downloads just fail unfortunately.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Unsubscribe from all mods. Find and delete your workshop folder. That fixed the issue with me before.
  • MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Guys, I have ZERO mods for this game. I have not used the workshop at all. If the server has a mod and it seems all of them do, then it must give it to me. But what is odd though is I play on the same handful of servers. LukyFKers, Bacon's server, Diamond Net, a few others. They all started doing the same thing. Shouldn't I have already downloaded their mods? Unless some new mod just came out and Steam is unable to give it to me? I don't know. I'll try again I guess.

You know I would not be the only person having this problem. Weird technical issues that stop you from playing at all are not going help regrow the player base. If mods cannot be stable, maybe servers shouldn't run them. Granted this is the first time I had this problem happen. We'll see.
  • coinecoine Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58631Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Did you try DC_Darklings suggestion above?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I had this exact problem before. I solved it by unsubscribing from all mods, which you have done. Then in your appdata/natural selection 2 folder delete the workshop folder. Nearly every server has mods, and they all download to that folder. Delete them all and try joining a server.

If that does not work, DC_Darklings suggestion just might help. Mods are downloaded from steam, which might be failing to give you the necessary mod. Some servers as he mentioned have a workshop backup that will give you the mod even if steam can't.
  • MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    I tried today and all is good. I am chalking this up to a steam issue yesterday. Maybe something was down. Thanks.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for following up MrChoke.. glad it was just steam :)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The very reason more servers should start up a workshop backup. You find it in the "...\Natural Selection 2\utils\WorkshopBackup" folder.

Info: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/136371/mod-backup-server
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited December 2015
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @SupaFred Do you have one in NA?

No I only have one and it's located in Sweden. But even for NA servers it's probably better to use it as a backup for mods than not having a backup server at all. With the exception of maps most mods are small.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Agreed. Its always better to just run one or use one.