PhysX? On GPU?

noregnoreg Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159425Members
Does the PHYSX GPU ACCELERATION option do anything and can PhysX work be forced onto the GPU?

I have the former set to ON and in the NVIDIA Control Panel I have PhysX forced to GPU rather than CPU, but the PhysX Visual Indicator (enabled in that control panel) shows that the game is going with the CPU (if it's using PhysX at all)?

There's a discussion from a couple years ago here but it doesn't seem to have resolved.

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was under the impression this option does nothing and hasn't done anything in like...forever! lol.

Don't expect it to come about anytime soon but you never know :smiley:
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    It is on the old cdt trello noted as not working.
    (have not checked the new one yet)
  • noregnoreg Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159425Members
    I see. Wouldn't this feature help a lot when CPU-bound? Aren't most people CPU-bound? Seems like an important issue.

Is there any place (on the Trello e.g.) to formally register interest in prioritizing this?
  • krOozekrOoze Join Date: 2014-04-24 Member: 195593Members
    ^ It would, but only for NVIDIA owners. Not worth the work and new potential space for bugs in the game.
    Most people are not CPU bound (@ 60 FPS target). Read this thread to know more.
    Nevertheless, is there any tracker where I can register support for this feature?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can upvote the page on the CDT trello board, and subscribe to updates so you can see what happens. The problem is, I do not know if the CDT trello board is going to be used going forward.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2015
    Nordic wrote: »
    You can upvote the page on the CDT trello board, and subscribe to updates so you can see what happens. The problem is, I do not know if the CDT trello board is going to be used going forward.

We will continue to use the CDT Trello board. It has been already restructured for it's new purpose of collecting Merge Requests. However to be honest votes never made a big differences at Trello. Better use the new feedback portal .

And the GPU PhysX option does indeed work. NS2 doesn't use PhysX in a way which gets detected by given GPU driver application as we do not use any of the advanced features.
  • krOozekrOoze Join Date: 2014-04-24 Member: 195593Members
    edited December 2015
    @GhoulofGSG9 Interesting. What does it do? Does it create some new effects or does it compute something, that would otherwise be computed by other means? Should I have it on or off even if I don't have NVIDIA (to perhaps get some benefit of SSE CPU instructions)?
    However to be honest votes never made a big differences at Trello. Better use the new feedback portal .
    This is awesome thanks.
    And the GPU PhysX option does indeed work. NS2 doesn't use PhysX in a way which gets detected by given GPU driver application as we do not use any of the advanced features.
    Been wondering this for a long time, conflicting information, thanks for clarifying.