admin enableable custom skins

HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hey.. is there a mod wich with I can set a skin for a rookie or a div 1 Player? ... like a texture change on the modle that I force server side so every one can see it. like the normal rine textue but painted red... roghtly .. like a bucket of red paint... flap flap with a brush on the rine... and the kick him through the IP into battle... cuz that's how it is... vets.. can distigish them in battle and can go easy... and rookies know who to bite fist ;)...

would be DOPE ^^

Comments

• KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Rusty would probably be able to help you out with that, he has skins on his servers.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    sent him the post.. thx man ^^
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Hey.. is there a mod wich with I can set a skin for a rookie or a div 1 Player? ... like a texture change on the modle that I force server side so every one can see it. like the normal rine textue but painted red... roghtly .. like a bucket of red paint... flap flap with a brush on the rine... and the kick him through the IP into battle... cuz that's how it is... vets.. can distigish them in battle and can go easy... and rookies know who to bite fist ;)...

would be DOPE ^^

That's overal an interesting idea to distinguish rookies. All of their skins could be slightly different, til they decide to get bigboy skins.

I imagine this would end up being some custom coding making use of Shine's norookies logic, combined with server groups, and however Rusty got custom skins to be in the mod mix. @GhoulofGSG9 might also be able to help here.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    yeah... It would be a HUGE addition... I could splash the paint over the original textures... an extra button on the scoreboard name menue for adimn skin set would be perfect... I make red and green skins for all armor and creature models if need be.

me and the admins could set em on the fly... teach the geen, kill the red.. but only in extream cases... i don't want everyone to have color going on.. it's just to encourage good behavior, even more than it is already ^^ ... sometimes you go easy.. and then there is that guy you mistake for a rook, and he murders you... or you think it's him and you anihilate a rookie :(

that would solve this without breaking the emersion of the game. it's not annother hud element to deal with

an elegant high quality solution...

i smell vanilla ^^
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    yeah... It would be a HUGE addition... I could splash the paint over the original textures... an extra button on the scoreboard name menue for adimn skin set would be perfect... I make red and green skins for all armor and creature models if need be.

me and the admins could set em on the fly... teach the geen, kill the red.. but only in extream cases... i don't want everyone to have color going on.. it's just to encourage good behavior, even more than it is already ^^ ... sometimes you go easy.. and then there is that guy you mistake for a rook, and he murders you... or you think it's him and you anihilate a rookie :(

that would solve this without breaking the emersion of the game. it's not annother hud element to deal with

an elegant high quality solution...

i smell vanilla ^^

Bewary though, skins aren't cheap on the download side of things. And the more mods a person has to download/the longer they take when connecting to your server, the thinner your ice is. Just something to consider.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Would you force players to use the skin you specify even if they want shadow skin etc?
    it would be a modified version of the shadow skin... like just with red paint all over... not glowing red in the night... just a so you know who's who... reguardles of thier coice of Model... It would be an option for admins to point things out. to enable better and more educational gameplay
  • coinecoine Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58631Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Im ok with vets having a different colour but if the rookies got a nice red paint im afraid that they gonna be even more owned. "Oh! theres a rookie! I dont even have to sneak/rush/hide or whatever", just stand still and shoot that fade. And as @Nordic point out, how to handle bought skins?
    edited December 2015
    not where I'm from.. ^^ ppl are great to rookies.. and having em painted green would help a lot... you don't learn anything if you're dead... rookies get accidentaly killed all the time... that way you can act acordingly. you can also see who is deliberatly rookie farmin and ban his ass :D

you're good one @coine.. i know ^^ @ rookies

always nice playin' with ya
  • coinecoine Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58631Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm on the good side @HEllrunner2k and im sure that you are too ☺. I will not kill rookies if they are easier to recognize but im afraid that theres a lot of players that would not hesitate to do that. Therefore I think its better to have more experienced players in another colour.
    edited December 2015
    it's not an automated system.. it's on the admins that are on to decide... It would be a great tool... we are pretty communicative and active

Ah, misunderstood and youre last post brings this under a different light. If its an Admin who choose a player to mark and then inform the others to take care or be gentle to that player it could be a good thing.
    hmmm.. seems like skins will be all over the place in a month :D maybe the Icon above the Head is the way to go...
  • IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    Supafred has introduced team icons, which are displayed like badges. Alternatively, you can just create Division badges and/or Hall Of Fame badges. I would HATE to see forces gameplay changes, and i can tell you after seeing red armor on american servers, that they are really ugly. xP (Let Rantology do her magic)
    edited December 2015
    the reason I changed my mind and wanting Icons over thier heads is BECAUSE I saw her magic ^^ ... the skins Idea is not valid anymore cus they will be all over the place... very ... colorfull... ^^ so Icons is the way to go on this one. I'm not talking about stuff that get's displayed on the scoreboard tho... It has to show up in game... like over the name tag

thing is.. I saw this once. Just can't remember the server... shouldn't be that big of a deal then

on the other hand, I'm pretty much through with wanting to make NS2 better... all I got sofar was ignorance, doubt and hostility... from ppl that... "are no frequent, nor particulally good players" ... so why bother ^^ ... If NS2 goes the way of the dodo I'll let the server run for folks.. but I will not remoteley be that active anymore... and if it dies after 2 Months I'll shut it down.

We'll see if they spent the 2 Moths left reinventing the wheel to a square form, or actually change things for the better. Let's hope for the best... (and that we still have powernodes and cysts by then XD )