Well, that's a bit of a mess - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    @joshhh these are things that need to be said.. cuz noone is doing it... it does not reflect BAD on me OR my server at all.. cuz it represents the common opinnion of everyone playing on it. I keep a close eye on my share of the community. And if HB is down they all wanna go home! well... you just demolished the front door... what did you expect... OFCORSE I fight for my people... and if it was not clear enought what is happening.. contact me emediatley.. PLS ... http://steamcommunity.com/id/hellrunner2k/
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @Asraniel

You'd think he'd acknowledge that the game is in a playable enough state because of the CDT that he was even able to propose his plan.

But @Hugh is just a piece of shit
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @joshhh I will let em do it.. infact I've just offered my support in the future. (JOP... find a community ON THE PLANET where this is common) ... but your analogy is crupled a bit... cuz the fireman that are supposed to put it out now where the ones that played with fire in the first place. ... SRY guys.. I don't wanna sound disreguarding at the CDT... I'm angry at UWE making bad calls
  • WebtranceWebtrance US Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189165Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I shot 20% last night because the other 10% didn't reg. ;) I will say that as skulk, it was fun running around with a marine spamming 15 chomps just to land 3. lol
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Who would want to work in such a environment anyways?
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    wait after 3000+ hours i just realized...
    Hydras are now able to hit MACs!
    :O this wasn't a thing? guess i haven't seen macs used that often but still nice update lol
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Who would want to work in such a environment anyways?

You still here? Money back please @Mendasp from your farewell thread :trollface:
  • RysskRyssk Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175441Members
    Great work i have to say, and great way of throwing CDT under the Bus @Hugh! Just pure "professionalism" here and there!

I've heard that quite alot people are pissed off at ya, and its total legit for them to be also imho!
    Next time, let some who's more capable and has more brains to write a proper news letter. Just a simple advice for you.

@Mendasp #MendaspforleaderUWE
    edited December 2015
    I get that mendasp is impulsive and a pain in the bum to work with... (speculations through a wall of text and not knowing ppl) but NS2+ is mendatory as is shine and it's epsilon expansion, so deal with it... it's the CORE of my server. we spend MONTHS to figure out all the perfect times for votings and what to enable when and for how long... if ONE of these mods (that should be in vanilla in the first place) is down the server is not worth playing on it anymore -.-
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited December 2015
    I get that mendasp is impulsive and a pain in the bum to work with... (speculations through a wall of text and not knowing ppl) but NS2+ is mendatory as is shine and it's epsilon expansion, so deal with it... it's the CORE of my server. we spend MONTHS to figure out all the perfect times for votings and what to enable when and for how long... if ONE of these mods (that should be in vanilla in the first place) is down the server is not worth playing on it anymore -.-
    NS2+ does get tested with patches, I specifically request it, in fact I asked that it's still done going forward even if I'm outside this team. It did get tested for this patch, and as far as I know it works. Not sure what happened with Shine, it's been tested with patches in the past. The PT team is severely understaffed though, and they are not paid and always blamed for bad patches, which is pretty unfair to them.

Also, if I were that hard to work with, I'm sure they wouldn't put up with me for a year and a half, especially with no pay involved, there's no need to have a bad environment when it's all volunteers. As far as I understand the people in the paid team did request that I was a part of it, but it wasn't up to them to make the team, of course. That I'm hard to work with is what someone that is being negligent will claim to cover his ass, of course.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    hehe mendatory, good show @HEllrunner2k. Would read again!
    sry.. @mendasp didn't wanna offend you, buddy ^^ just a picture that occurred to me...
    edited December 2015
    sry.. @mendasp didn't wanna offend you, buddy ^^ just a picture that occurred to me...

Haha, I understand why you mentioned it, you were just trying to guess what might be going on. Just wanted to clarify what's the actual case here :) No worries!
  • NS3DreamNS3Dream USA Join Date: 2015-11-22 Member: 209422Members
    No problem guys I found the fix, some face painting and wrestling was all it needed.
    285fgrzb5vip.jpg
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited December 2015
    RadimaX wrote: »
    wait after 3000+ hours i just realized...
    Hydras are now able to hit MACs!
    :O this wasn't a thing? guess i haven't seen macs used that often but still nice update lol

Wait a second you're a genius, this is the only change to hit reg. @Decoy tag someone hurry
    edited December 2015
    SupaFred wrote: »

Your server and your community will be fine. I run some servers too and I've chosen to shut them down until this is fixed. They too will be fine. People will survive without NS2 for a day.

seriously.. what are you talking about... *laughts* shutting down servers. You sureley have a deep connection to your population ^^

no.. that's completley unreasonable.

Look .. all I say is.. It should not be a LEAGAL problem that stands in the way of playtesting... I thought you figured it out by yourself... IF you have a 400 player community you CAN not QA worth of 200 300 testers... let the communitiy do it themselfs and lift embargos. 2 days worth of playing on a popular server is worth WEEKS of 5 ppl going about. this is NOT the fault of the 5 ppl... how could it, don't get me wrong! HB figured out problems in MINUTES.

I'm sorry if my direct beeing is offending you. Just pointing out things the way they are and you should listen if NS2 is your passion too

PS: and all that in a time where there is a HUGE influx of rooks *shakes head*
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    seriously.. what are you talking about... *laughts* shutting down servers. You sureley have a deep connection to your population ^^

Not sure what you mean by that. I shut down my servers because I think the bug is game-breaking and I don't want to provide a bad experience for the players.

Your post didn't offend me personally but I think it was rude to the CDT whose work deserves more respect.
    SupaFred wrote: »
    I shut down my servers because I think the bug is game-breaking and I don't want to provide a bad experience for the players.

Your post didn't offend me personally but I think it was rude to the CDT whose work deserves more respect.

so .. to get that straight.. instead of providing a "bad" experience you provide NONE at all?! there are HUNDREDS of rooks right now. And you are saying "well.. to bad. Can't play the game you just bought." ? ... Did I get that correctly? ... cuz it's sonds not that smart.

In almost EVERY post I mentioned that the CDT shal NOT take offense.. The stuff I sayed should be assesed on a higher level, cuz there is A LOT that the CDT has no influence over. "I appriciate the work" doenst't cut it at ALL. NS2 would be DEAD and gone without these guys. read what I said again considering that premise!
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    so .. to get that straight.. instead of providing a "bad" experience you provide NONE at all?! there are HUNDREDS of rooks right now. And you are saying "well.. to bad. Can't play the game you just bought." ? ... Did I get that correctly? ... cuz it's sonds not that smart.

I think a bad experience does more damage than no experience. But it's not like there are no other servers to play on so the rookies won't notice.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    There are many empty servers, they will find a spot to play and they will not bother to play it the whole weekend like this. And they won't hold back on reviews. It is a released game and that is their first impression. Why should they think that the game would be different in any other week of the year? I hope UWE does at least write something about this in the main menu news section. The Forum is not an effective way to reach rookies.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    UWE/CDT communication is worse than Do it yourself's.

please friends, pull it together.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    @Supafred and @HEllrunner2k please take any further conversation about how you choose to run your servers to PM's as to not derail the thread. Thanks guys!
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The problem: the patch is broken
    The cause: too few players to test
    The solution: create a permanent maintained beta branch on Steam and allow everyone to participate. Without the need to get a permission or sign an agreement or whatever. Just let them get onboard as fast and simple as you can and I don't know what's simpler than getting to the beta branch.

I don't see any issues here, it's a good practice (see Rust and Starbound for example). You may run a beta server and allow anyone to set up one. I would like to participate in playtesting but getting the responsibility prevents me from doing this. I simply don't want to be obliged to test. On the other hand if I would have an opportunity to do so when I want, why not? It's always interesting for people to have a sneak peek to what's coming up next. Maintaining the beta branch is the key to success as I see it, "release early" is the slogan from the opensource community and it fits here well.

Just don't force the update to everyone too soon and that's it.
    @rkfg The potential problem with that is getting players to actually play. You have to swap between the Live and Beta version every time, which can be a significant download. LuaJIT was released to the beta branch early and despite my own swapping over to it 2-3 times, I never actually saw a full game on it. A server with a handful of people playing around with it, noting it was cool, then bailing. We would need a dedicated community of people who play on the beta branch. I agree though, it's definitely something worth looking into.

Playtests happen twice a week in the evenings. EUPTs are Mondays and Wednesdays, NAPTs are Tuesdays and Thursdays. As long as you can make 2 playtests a month, you're maintained as a PT. And it comes with a badge ;) Hahaha. Here's the link to apply if anyone is interested