Some thoughts for the new team from an old school player.

2»

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Nordic wrote: »
    I have always thought that if there truly was a demand for ns1 with better graphics, the NS classic mod would have taken off. People can play NS with better graphics in ns2 but nobody does. There just is not enough interest.

I tried the NSC mod a while back, I hated the return to old movement mechanics (feel like you're sliding on ice, having to source-style bhop) and all the structure models etc were the old NS1 models which looked like ass.

I feel as though the NS1 mechanics that made it NS1 could work well in combination with many of the improvements we have in NS2, and I'd love to play the resulting game, but I've never seen a decent balance.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2015
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Just bring back relocatable comm chairs and lerk lift.

Fun factor increased by 10x

Lerk lift wouldnt even be that hard. @lifesfun modded it in awhile ago. I know seige has it too. The code exists.

Bile bomb lerk gorge lerk combo is op though.

Just disable the use of bilebomb whilst gorge is attached to lerk. When I administrated WONGA back in the last heydays on NS1 we had an amx mod that disabled it whilst gorge was attached which removed the OP problem, I can't remember if we also enabled or disabled healspray whilst attached, the intention was to allow the gorge to reach places it would not normally be able to.

Yes... Please add it so I can pick up Gorges and...

Something about Crevice :trollface: (kinda a serious note to add here: How do you udhide this "ya can't use heal/bilebomb when lerklifting vs hidden game mechanics ++)

I think this is kinda the short bursts lingo about movement

GoldSrc, you felt in complete control
    Spark, you are in control (compared to older beta/alpha builds), but it still feels very floaty sometimes...
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2015
    I have always thought that if there truly was a demand for ns1 with better graphics, the NS classic mod would have taken off. People can play NS with better graphics in ns2 but nobody does. There just is not enough interest.

I tried the NSC mod a while back, I hated the return to old movement mechanics (feel like you're sliding on ice, having to source-style bhop) and all the structure models etc were the old NS1 models which looked like ass.

I feel as though the NS1 mechanics that made it NS1 could work well in combination with many of the improvements we have in NS2, and I'd love to play the resulting game, but I've never seen a decent balance.

That's because it wasn't "return to old movement" it wasn't even close to NS1 style movement when you were playing NS and came over to try NS2c, even today if you load it up, there is so much discrepancy between the two, and to make the fact that "all the structure models etc were the old NS1 models which looked like ass."

There was only a HMG model, an unworking OC model and that was about it, the HMG model looked like ass because it was pixelated, However i have my hands on some 1-2k reworked textures for NS1 to be implemented into NS2 at a moments notice, it takes a wee while to process them to Spark Engine quality though, check out my DC/SC models on the workshop, the textures aren't pixelated because they're 1-2k textures.
  • junktextjunktext Join Date: 2007-10-09 Member: 62587Members
    edited November 2015
    So if UWE really wants to attract thousands of new players, I also second the opinion that we basically just need "NS1 with better graphics" instead of NS2 as it stands.

However, I do not hate NS2. It is a great game as well, but extremely confusing for newcomers. NS1 was less complex (e.g., reduced tech trees and structures), but still hard to master. So, NS1 had the genius mix where vets would stay and newcomers would stick around (whenever they heard of NS1 and gave it a chance).

Also, as stated by the first post, I really miss the NS1 asymmetry whereby the Marines had a commander and everybody on the Aliens were effectively part-commander (especially if you were a gorge).

I get the appeal of NS2 (and the Alien Commander), so this version of the game could stay. But, I was honestly always confused on why they abandoned the asymmetrical NS1 gameplay in favor of the more symmetrical NS2 style.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    junktext wrote: »
    So if UWE really wants to attract thousands of new players, I also second the opinion that we basically just need "NS1 with better graphics" instead of NS2 as it stands.

However, I do not hate NS2. It is a great game as well, but extremely confusing for newcomers. NS1 was less complex (e.g., reduced tech trees and structures), but still hard to master. So, NS1 had the genius mix where vets would stay and newcomers would stick around (whenever they heard of NS1 and gave it a chance).

Also, as stated by the first post, I really miss the NS1 asymmetry whereby the Marines had a commander and everybody on the Aliens were effectively part-commander (especially if you were a gorge).

I get the appeal of NS2 (and the Alien Commander), so this version of the game could stay. But, I was honestly always confused on why they abandoned the asymmetrical NS1 gameplay in favor of the more symmetrical NS2 style.

Well then mabey add a ns2 gamemode?
  • ServilcatServilcat Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4897Members
    I think everyone that has posted here has expressed a respect for what NS2 created.

All I can say is the way I feel as predominantly NS1 focused player, what would get me excited and interested in paying more money would be a new mode that brings back the fundamentals of NS1, but with a raft of new weapons, upgrades and even lifeforms.

NS could truly define the RTS/FPS genre as a serious contender, and whats better it would have almost no competition. If it continues down the road of FPS with RTS elements, I honestly don't see how it will ever distinguish itself.
  • junktextjunktext Join Date: 2007-10-09 Member: 62587Members
    edited November 2015
    Yeah, I agree. Also, I honestly don't think it would be that hard to bring back NS1 gameplay (on the NS2 foundation). For example:
    • Disable the Alien commander and get rid of the Alien's team resources. Only individual res for those on Aliens. Add the ability for gorges to drop more chambers and hives.
    • For Marines: Disable individual res, so only the Marine commander controls what to buy.
    • Disable MACs and Drifters.
    • Make either the Shade or Veil to be the Sensory Chamber (SC). But pick only one to keep. Same idea for the other upgrades. This way no extra modeling is required. Then just call them SC/MC/DC chambers again.
    • Get rid of Gorge Tunnels and allow only NS1-style transport back to a hive if a Shift is built, like how Movement Chambers worked. But, keep Marine PGs.
    • Increase the limit for Turrets and Hydras (OCs).

Those are the main highlights. This could easily be changed in 3 months or less as all the elements are there. Just tweak the gameplay rules.

Finally, leave NS2-style gameplay as a separate server mode for those players that like this version.
  • ServilcatServilcat Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4897Members
    While I agree with the idea in general, I don't personally see a reason to get rid of some of the 'toys' in NS2, for example gorge tunnels may just need to be 3 hive tech, or cost extra resources if they're going to unbalance the way the game plays.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    I would pay so much money IF ns2 combat and siege Where polished and added as a gamemode you can switch back and fourth by voting to change. Like the way we change maps.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    No I am saying that NS with better graphics means NS movement and feel. If you didn't play much on the Goldsrc engine, you won't understand what many of us talk about, but some of the mods in Half-life had the best game movement anywhere (also same with Quake etc).

I didn't play NS1. But I did play the original cs up to 1.6 a lot and some quake - and I never adopted cs source either. I have always been way in to trick jumps, including surf and kz maps. And I was also the guy who would jump up on big rock on de_nuke and troll in scrims (A notoriously difficult jump, as shown in the intro to this video).

So I'm very familiar with the goldsrc engine. In addition I have seen vods and streams of ns1, cus I was curious about the fuss veterans make.

I have also tried the NS2 classic mod - although if I understand correctly, that is not a fair representation of the old ns1 movement.

What I have gathered from my experience with other goldsrc games and the vods, is that I have NO interest in NS1 with better graphics. NS2 movement is in every way superior. It has room for improvement, sure. But NS1 is by no means the holygrail of movement.

I would be sad to see NS2 go down this route. Make a classic mod, sure, why not. Do not impose it on the vanilla build however.