NS2 Dev Team & our Community - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited November 2015 in NS2 General Discussion

imageNS2 Dev Team & our Community - Natural Selection 2

Hey everyone, it’s great to chat to you all about NS2. For the last 1.5 years, NS2 has been developed by an incredible team of Community Members who have...

Read the full story here

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Comments, leave you may
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Wow this literly makes me cry im so happy!!!!
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
    edited November 2015
    Obraxis! Don't forget the modders, and server administrators, oh and the players.. :p They are more important than anyone! I mean if it wasn't for the playerbase we'd all be playing solitaire. (Anything is better than CS:GO right? hehe.) The team looks good and I do wish you guys well. You have my total support and if you need to test anything, or need some server power, please don't hesitate to ask. I just hope that you don't have any build machine issues. ( Also please update the maps and remove the Halloween props! That would be a great start. I wonder if Rantology can come up with a Creative Gorge Christmas theme! Woot!

Happy programming!

~Rusty
    DiamondGamers.net
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I dont know how to feel about any of this
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Too early to tell if this is gonna be big or not, I wish UWE and the new NS2 dev team (primarily comprised of the cdt) luck on revitalizing the game.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I see good points and bad points about it. So I am gona refrain from guessing what the future will bring.

On a small note.. I never had the feeling obraxis ignored server admins. ;)
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Rusty wrote: »
    ( Also please update the maps and remove the Halloween props! That would be a great start. I wonder if Rantology can come up with a Creative Gorge Christmas theme! Woot!
    A bit of offtop about the seasonal events, wouldn't it be easier to expose the date/time to Lua (if it isn't exposed yet) so that server could activate and deactivate a mod at some date? Then you just pack these snowballs/treats as a mod or leave it as a core part of the game and they become active when the time comes.

This date API should be server-side only because, you know, clients have different time zones and skewed clocks and DST etc. If the server decides to start an event, everyone complies. I dunno about the pumpkins in the RR but probably there's a way to insert them programmatically in runtime without changing the map files?

Things like these events mean a lot for players, the game feels more alive. Though they should start and end in time.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow, that's great! Expecting more events now, maybe even some weekend fun.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Congratulations to all involved, @McGlaspie , so much for Game Dev only ever being a hobby for you :D

I would like to say to UWE very well done on this decision. I know you were considering NS2's future recently, but I never saw this coming. By making NS2 development official again, you have really shown how much you care about the community. Thank you very much for this.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    I'm not sure if people have noticed, but the CDT was already part time. If there's only one person full time and the team is smaller now, won't this be a step backwards in terms of efficiency and work output?

I know I kind of have the spotlight on me at the moment, but I feel this is a valid concern. Especially considering the tight timeframe involved in the experiment.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    With the one guy that's working fulltime being the guy that's working on what has always been the bottleneck (the buildmachine), I can imagine a scenario where we see a log more progress than we have in the last year. I guess it all depends on where the new team focuses their efforts and how he contribution system ends up working.

Hopefully they keep us up to date with what they're working on and listen to feedback about what should come next (still performance).
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2015
    I've been receiving UWE builds/announcements for 13 years and delivering other software professionally for longer than that, and McG got my attention in his recent blogpost:

"a much more flexible and faster process, cutting down on time from developer changes to seeing them in-game"

Employee or not, part-time or not, many enthusiasts (coders, managers, mappers, players, designers, testers, artists, journalists, etc, etc, etc) are prepared to contribute significantly, and shortening the phases of NS2's development lifecycle could go a LONG way toward empowering ALL of them.

We underestimate the harm we do in tolerating wide timespans between deliveries.