The planet doesn't even have a name yet! Suggestions, please!

Comments

• TysohalTysohal Germany Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207819Members
    Askara - don't know if it has a meaning... I just think it sounds cool.
  • CrazyAcekingCrazyAceking New York, NY, 10003 Join Date: 2015-05-09 Member: 204307Members
    how about aquarius? sounds simple enough.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited October 2015
    How about "Panthalassa"

Its Greek for "All Ocean"
  • McKabyMcKaby England Join Date: 2015-08-19 Member: 207291Members
    I have to agree, we should try other cultures than just Greek naming, how do we know that the Captain wasn't Chinese or even Finnish?
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited October 2015
    "Your Finger, You Fool."

There was a story going around for a while in Australia... (I detect the fine hand of the late Sir Terry Pratchett in this one.)

An expedition sometime in the mid-1800's came across a tribe of aborigines camped at the foot of a particularly imposing mountain. Since the aborigines were not at all hostile towards them, the explorers attempted to communicate, using mainly sign language as the natives did not speak a word of English. After a while, the explorers were able to reach a sort of mutual understanding, pointing at nearby things and calling them by their English name. The aborigines guessed what was going on, and responded in their own language.

Eventually, one of the explorers pointed at the mountain. 'What is this called?" he asked.

"Tumbarumba." (or something very like it) said one of the natives. The rest nodded in agreement.

The explorers duly noted this down in their journal. It was settled. The mountain was called 'Mount Tumbarumba'.

It wasn't until many years later that someone pointed out that this particular word wasn't the native place name after all.

In the local dialect, it meant "Your finger, you fool."

Footnote: The township of Tumbarumba actually exists. I took a small liberty by using its name as an example.

From Wikipedia: The name Tumbarumba may be derived from Wiradjuri 'dhamba dhamba', meaning "very soft" or alternatively, from the Aboriginal words for "hollow sounding ground", "thunder", "sound" or "place of big trees".
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Ägir after the norse water god
  • EntomoligistEntomoligist United States Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206958Members
    Actually, the planet's name is Nautica. That's why it's called Subnautica, because it's in the ocean of Nautica.
    Actually, the planet's name is Nautica. That's why it's called Subnautica, because it's in the ocean of Nautica.

Good point.

I'm more inclined to wait and see what the local sentients call it. Probably an unintelligible rumble of noise in the ELF frequency band.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    "unintelligible rumble of noise in the ELF frequency band."

Really rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

• Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    I think lacasapa (Stupid i know but at least it sounds good)
  • keta548keta548 Russian Federation Moscow Join Date: 2015-10-11 Member: 208410Members
    It definitly should contain word "water" oe "aqua" mb "Aquarion" steal idea from anime =) or "Aquarantos" / "Aquaridia" / "Aquarentaros" / "Aquarentaria" something like this i hope i help a little.
  • keta548keta548 Russian Federation Moscow Join Date: 2015-10-11 Member: 208410Members

Bugzapper wrote: »

Good point.

I'm more inclined to wait and see what the local sentients call it. Probably an unintelligible rumble of noise in the ELF frequency band.

IF we think like this so it should be Aqua + nautica =Aquanautica.
    I has concluded that Nautica is not the name of planet just a prefix.
  • spyrodragon50spyrodragon50 Indonesia Join Date: 2015-10-13 Member: 208453Members
    How About Planet-5E40F411. which is SeaofAll
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Honestly, with an entire thread about names for planets, I'm surprised nobody's done the troll thing and said this yet.

Anyway, I've got kind of an idea. Aquatilium is Latin (and any scientific names, like that for a planet, has to be Latin) for, literally, "Aquatic."
  • mariotusekmariotusek rotterdam Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204939Members
    What about something like kelper 310?
  • smackumzsmackumz US Join Date: 2015-10-13 Member: 208465Members
    Kētos latinized as Cetus was used as a term for sea monster. Seems ominous and fitting.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Subductis abyssi?

That is the first one that actually sounds like a science-fiction planet name. I love it.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    The_Shark wrote: »
    Subductis abyssi?

That is the first one that actually sounds like a science-fiction planet name. I love it.

Translate it from Latin to english
  • SourBlueSourBlue France Join Date: 2015-09-02 Member: 207670Members
    Okeanos is great !
  • ArzinxArzinx Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204938Members
    edited October 2015
    I dont know, but ive taken a liking to similisia, or aquaus prime
  • SuperElementSuperElement Join Date: 2013-07-09 Member: 186008Members
    What Owen said before, unsure of the official name but there is one stated on the wiki. To me, a sci-fi designation i.e. catalogue number and letters to designate class/size would be fine, and perhaps the planet being dubbed by the survivors as "The Fall of Aurora" or "Aurora's End" in other languages like Latin or Greek.
  • Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
    What Owen said before, unsure of the official name but there is one stated on the wiki. To me, a sci-fi designation i.e. catalogue number and letters to designate class/size would be fine, and perhaps the planet being dubbed by the survivors as "The Fall of Aurora" or "Aurora's End" in other languages like Latin or Greek.

i like "Aurora's End" sound like a town's name during u.s west conquest. Ironic west conquest is all about colonization.
  • ArzinxArzinx Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204938Members
    'The fall of Aurora' in latin is - Excidium Aurora
    edited November 2015
    "It's probably time I said something about this planet, courtesy of the charming JUNO and her performing data banks. You probably know it as Alpha Hydrae 4, an M-Class planet orbiting a K3-Class orange giant star named Alphard, in the constellation of Hydra. Alphard is taken from the ancient Arabic name for the star Al-Fard, which means 'The Solitary One'. Alphard has approximately 3 times the mass of Sol, and a diameter about 50 times greater than that of Sol. It's also considerably older than Sol and a great deal cooler, having passed the main sequence of its lifecycle tens of millions of years ago. Consider Alphard as something of a cranky old stellar geezer, preparing to misbehave in a highly embarrassing and unpredictable fashion sometime relatively soon.

Cosmically speaking, of course.

I've dubbed the planet 'Manannán', quite possibly to avoid any eye-rolling and snide comments about a totally aqueous planet having the hydro- or hydra- prefix as part of its name. The irony in all of these tiny coincidences is not entirely lost on me, I assure you. Could have been worse, I suppose. The planet could have been located in the constellations of Aquarius or Pisces. Even so, 'Manannán' is a direct reference to its watery nature. Named it for Manannán mac Lir, the Celtic sea-god, after all.

I know. I'm a terrible person.

Manannán occupies roughly the same position in its solar system as Sol's Asteroid Belt, possibly a shade closer to Jupiter's orbit, actually. Ordinarily, this would place it well outside the favourable 'Goldilocks Zone', although Alphard's swollen stellar mass is still able to provide sufficient light and heat energy even at this distance. Granted, the water can be bitterly cold for anyone not wearing a wetsuit, but there's no denying that this planet will comfortably support a wide variety of life forms."

Excerpt from 'Aurora Falls' - A Subnautica story.

(Work in progress... Check it out!) :smiley:
  • OxraiderOxraider Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204554Members
    just call it planet GJ1214b

this is actually a real-life planet in the universe discovered by the scientists and is categorised under the 10 most strangest planets in space.

see link: http://thoughty2.com/p/3/10-strangest-planets-in-space/

it is the 9th planet on the list and is 100% like subnautica, also the center is full of special compressed ice deu to the water pressure it has (good for the deepest place in subnautica they could make ice caves perhaps)

Grtz Oxraider
    edited November 2015
    After a look at Gliese GJ1214b's specs, its atmosphere and surface temperature don't quite match Subnautica.

By a long shot, actually.

It would be classed as a 'hot Jupiter'-type planet.

Space.com says this:
    "It orbits a red-dwarf star at a distance of 1.2 million miles (2 million kilometres), giving it an estimated surface temperature of 446 degrees Fahrenheit (230 degrees Celsius) — too hot to host life as we know it."

Sorry. No dice. :(
  • GriffinCGriffinC New York Join Date: 2015-11-26 Member: 209499Members