Fish Reproduction, cross-breeding and genetic engineering

Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
once againe sorry for my english.
I thing that more you build, more the "survival" part should be easy.

With this in mind let's made some science.
Reproduction: fish couple should lay egg every few day in the large fishtank
Cross-breeding: cross fish or plant to simply made new species. (more nourishing or more effective crafting) some crossing works, other don't
Genetic engineering : same purpose than cross-breeding.

Comments

• roorookangaroorookanga RandomLand Join Date: 2015-10-26 Member: 208787Members
    I love this suggestion.
    Reproduction would need 2 fish, and they could have different offspring depending on species, and genes.

-DNA is being implemented into the game, so you could inject DNA into a fish, and if it reproduces with another fish with different genes, they could have offspring (probably more than one) with shared genes.

- I think that cross breeding can be separated depending on sizes, such as small fish that you can hold would be compatible with each other, though not with a stalker or lava lizard. They each could have different variants each time they reproduce, to add content and replay-ability.
  • RustyRangeRustyRange Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207955Members
    Or a Sea Dragon Leviathan and a Sea Emperor xD. Imagine that O_O
  • Eddie894Eddie894 United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-10-27 Member: 208795Members
    It would be interesting to cross 2 species! :smile: The hybrid daughter would have characteristics of both parents? Also, maybe the Aurora's radiation zone (Until it is cleaned up) mutates fish to create weirder fish and species!
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Likely, Subnautica (or UWE) would not be able to re-model/shape the fish species, but there are many other attributes that could be changed. I'd like to see similar fish able to interbreed, with a few sets of dominant and recessive genes thrown into the mix, similar to what roo said.

Notably:
    Color, texture, bump-mapping texture, glowing, speed, shyness, aggressiveness, day/night habits, favorite food, size (within reason), meat (for eating), poisonousness, reproductive speed, schooling behavior.
  • tettignotettigno Hungary Join Date: 2015-10-25 Member: 208733Members
    We can use DNA to get subject-specific things like "augmentation"
    peeper-proximity sense
    occulus-sight improvements: heat sense
    lurker-sight improvement: electromagnetic sense
    and so on...
    you could also cross breed small fish for more nutrients. Since the peeper is the best for hunger, and maybe the eyeye is the best for thirst management (apart from the airsack, which needs to be processed first, the rest can be heat-bladed on site :P )
    That would be logical to cross breed eyeye+peeper(or the deep variant of peeper, since those are near the eyeye territory)
    Why would anyone want to raise a sandshark in a fishtank? So you could only inject sandshark DNA to a peeper for example, so it'd become a bit...hostile, but more rewarding nutrient-wise :)
    You could release the new specimen you create, and have interesting impact on the local ecosystem. Maybe you'd have to reverse some huge mistakes after half of the peepers would come at you like piranhas. :P (which would involve some serious heat-blade mass production, or some nice Seamoth -rides bam-bam-bam-bam....hull damage-bam-bam-bam...yesss, I have to reverse my mistake....DIE you....halflings! )
  • SoichSoich USA Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206623Members
    I had this idea in an old post, but with the added idea of cyborg parts.