The Abyss - Intelligent beings, darkness, and base-jumpings deep below

tettignotettigno Hungary Join Date: 2015-10-25 Member: 208733Members
There should be an intelligent life form deep deep deep down. Like in the movie: Abyss (i loved that movie so much) At some stage of the game, when I cross the 1000meters one of them should come close to me, and be a bit curious about my intentions,.. should be poking around, or just watching me from afar. It could be a nice goal to get in contact with them somehow... of course they should live in extreme depths, like in the movie.
The story could be like.... After failing to use the Aurora as a long range relay, we turned our gaze from the skies to the depths, and tried to look for the newly discovered alien lifeform.
Of course, they live too deep for us to chat with them at -1000m (near seamoth's upgraded crush depth) that would present our next problem to solve... Maybe we should kill one of those gigantic ugly Reaper Leviathans (but not with so much ease, as a dozen of knives, and a stasis rifle :P ), and the aliens could show up again, giving us a research material...

-We should either find other ways of compensation, or some "gill"-like research that allows us to "breathe" underwater. We could have a seamoth Mk-II ( as I think I love the seamoth ) that allows us another 500meters, and another 500meters or so with upgrades. The goal is to create bases every 500m, or so, and also the pressure should have a greater impact on bases. New materials should be researched for deeper bases, because now i can create a decent base (1moonpool+2rooms+3hatches+3windows+2observatories ) (10-22,5=12,5with x4 pressure coefficient at 3000+meters=50) Using lithium reinforcements (-7/each requires 8 of them to compensate, which is ridddddiculous, as this setup has 84free and 35extra (119total) compensation capacity, that would allow the base to be built at... 8600meters [12,5x9,5=118,75-119=0,25] ??? No way.)
-Also, decompressation should be implemented, as a bar, or something that goes up, as reaching greater pressure, and down during the decompressation process. Human body cannot withstand high pressure, so research should be on them too. I mean we must have made a nice suit from silicone rubber, but...nitrogene narcosis is a nice death too... On earth you need special pressurized suits to go up(down) to 700meters, and that is about the end. So there is waaaaay there for research.
-Sunlight should cease to exist at 750+m, max 1000m , making us rely on instruments, like sonars to navigate through caves, and deep areas. The seamoth Mk2's glass could have "eyelids" closing at greater depths, granting some more pressure resistance, and activating the sonar-vision hud that could track hostile things. Should look something close to a wireframe renderer, which would even grant us some more rendering power :)

OH! and something could attack our bases from time to time apart from rust. We could...and should have base defense systems, at least like the seamoth perimeter defense, that chase them away. Also a proximity sensor/alert should sound,....with a device installed, we could be noticed of the base attack while in the submarine, far away. Stalkers love to grab metallic things, so they could chomp on our solar panels too, if left without defense...(some nice ways to use those current generators early in game at least.) those solar panels are quite cheap anyway, but since there are quite a few stalkers out there, we should either choose the base location carefully, or build a base defense.

That's it for now.......

Comments

• FearlessWolfFearlessWolf United States Join Date: 2015-08-29 Member: 207573Members
    People seem to forget that our bases are made of titanium...

Titanium doesn't rust.
  • tettignotettigno Hungary Join Date: 2015-10-25 Member: 208733Members
    Oh, come ON people, you can not be serious on this!
    I wrote:
    "...something could attack our bases from time to time apart from rust."
    I guess you tried to enlighten me that titanium does not rust. Well, I know that, but what you do not seem to understand here, is what I meant to say.
    Which is (even if rust could attack our base, it would take eons) our bases experience no threat at all. Pressure is nothing, not even to our body ingame. I like how it affects the cyclops, and the seamoth, because this way leaving the craft behind is a MUST. Which makes up the most intense moments of gaming experience for me. Especially without rebreathers, the air just runs out like madman. I panicked once, as I had 160+secs of air, but when I was mining lithium, quite far, and the lady said 30secs remaining only after 15-20secs, which was a bit strange, but more fightening. I looked around, but could not see the seamoth around, and was desperately looking for it, but I could not find it. I liked that feeling, because first time after a long period, I was really into the game. I died, and lost all those nice gold, and lithium loot. Next time I took the rebreather, and yes, it makes quite the difference. I'd even say that I would make the rebreather a fragmented item too, because it is easy to craft it, and with it, there is no real challenge in first time deep mining experience.

But to return to the beginning. You are telling me that after reading my suggestions
    -alien life deep below
    -base build necessity deeper and deeper, with newer research on how to resist pressure
    -go below 1000m, use the sonar view, as there should not be any light below 1000m, visibility would be zero even with lights on.
    -base defense

,,,,,and all you can say is that " Titanium doesn't rust. "
    How could I react similarly....wolves are not really fearless. Maybe that compares.
  • Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
    edited October 2015
    tettigno wrote: »
    Oh, come ON people, you can not be serious on this!
    I wrote:
    "...something could attack our bases from time to time apart from rust."
    I guess you tried to enlighten me that titanium does not rust. Well, I know that, but what you do not seem to understand here, is what I meant to say.
    Which is (even if rust could attack our base, it would take eons) our bases experience no threat at all. Pressure is nothing, not even to our body ingame. I like how it affects the cyclops, and the seamoth, because this way leaving the craft behind is a MUST. Which makes up the most intense moments of gaming experience for me. Especially without rebreathers, the air just runs out like madman. I panicked once, as I had 160+secs of air, but when I was mining lithium, quite far, and the lady said 30secs remaining only after 15-20secs, which was a bit strange, but more fightening. I looked around, but could not see the seamoth around, and was desperately looking for it, but I could not find it. I liked that feeling, because first time after a long period, I was really into the game. I died, and lost all those nice gold, and lithium loot. Next time I took the rebreather, and yes, it makes quite the difference. I'd even say that I would make the rebreather a fragmented item too, because it is easy to craft it, and with it, there is no real challenge in first time deep mining experience.

But to return to the beginning. You are telling me that after reading my suggestions
    -alien life deep below
    -base build necessity deeper and deeper, with newer research on how to resist pressure
    -go below 1000m, use the sonar view, as there should not be any light below 1000m, visibility would be zero even with lights on.
    -base defense

,,,,,and all you can say is that " Titanium doesn't rust. "
    How could I react similarly....wolves are not really fearless. Maybe that compares.

Sorry @tettingo but @FearlessWolf made me laugh. but to be honest i agree with two of your idea : the lights below 1000M. and the player should not resiste high pressure when is outside is sub and should decompress befor reaching the surface, but make that realistic need decompression chamber wher you have to spend few houre (not realy cool for a game about exploration.)
    The defense base not seem going to happen. and you can reinforce your base with Lithium so....

And colonise a planet already occuped by inteligent life form is again the "Prime Directive" (Sorry i'm a Star trek fan)
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Titanium doesn't rust.

It doesn't truly "rust," but it does oxidize. In fact, titanium oxide is used as a pigment, called "titanium white," to make papers and plastics white.

So, while it doesn't really "rust," it does degrade. Think copper, it doesn't rust per se, but it does oxidize.
  • tettignotettigno Hungary Join Date: 2015-10-25 Member: 208733Members
    It does not have to be against the "Prime Directive", if they were in need of help, but could not communicate, because....well,...let's say they cannot bear the lack of pressure. But once we explore deeper, they can show up, and with time, it can be clear that they need help in... 1.Either the developers find some interesting story out, or anyone who has a nice idea, or I can come up with something,...destroying my purpose of playing :DDD